1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UCA's and 3.5" Lift Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MDBigRed, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Apr 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    MDBigRed

MDBigRed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Uniden PC78Elite CB, 4' Firestiks, KC reverse/work lights, Mudflaps removed, Gorilla wheel locks, TRD box air intake, MBRP XP series dual exhaust, Wet Okole seat covers, 20% front tints, Pacer tailgate light bar, Uniden Bear Cat PA external speaker, 4.5" RCD Lift w/ extended ICON coilovers, door sill LED running lights, LED alarm scanner light, Scangauge II, Blendmount, Diff breather mod, Whelen hideaway 90watt strobes, Piaa Xtreme white bulbs, VIAIR onboard air, Allpro T-case sheild, TC LCA Skids, Stubbswelding HD-SKO Sliders, Weathertech floor mats, TC UCA's, Allpro SS brakelines, rear ARB locker, 4.56 Yukon gears, BlueSea fuse block, bed rail light bar, Shrockworks bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Comp winch, IPF 900's, Piaa 510's, Tekonsha brake controller, Air horn, Pop 'n lock, Alcan Spring leaf packs, JVC KD-AHD 69 head unit, 12voltguy winch controller, Safari Snorkel
    I currently have a tuff country 3" lift installed on my '08 tacoma. It consists of a spacer up front on the stock springs and a AAL in the rear. I also had the TSB done and installed new rear extended tuff country nitrogen shocks. I don't think the spacer is a true 3" lift. However, the truck is not sitting level due to the TSB and the rear AAl's so i am looking at doing the toytec 3.5" coilovers with new bilsteins up front. I know it's a pricey $800 bucks but i'm wondering how worth while it is??
    Also my 285 75 17's rub pretty bad up front even with some fender well trimming and mudflap removal. DO i need to get new UCA's with the toytec coilovers adjusted to 3.5"s? Also will there be any problems down the road with the CVC joints or anything like that? I mainly want to do this work to make the truck level and get rid of the annoying tire rubbing. Any articulation up front and it's bound to rub off like a 13 year old kid!

2. Apr 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    MDBigRed

MDBigRed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Uniden PC78Elite CB, 4' Firestiks, KC reverse/work lights, Mudflaps removed, Gorilla wheel locks, TRD box air intake, MBRP XP series dual exhaust, Wet Okole seat covers, 20% front tints, Pacer tailgate light bar, Uniden Bear Cat PA external speaker, 4.5" RCD Lift w/ extended ICON coilovers, door sill LED running lights, LED alarm scanner light, Scangauge II, Blendmount, Diff breather mod, Whelen hideaway 90watt strobes, Piaa Xtreme white bulbs, VIAIR onboard air, Allpro T-case sheild, TC LCA Skids, Stubbswelding HD-SKO Sliders, Weathertech floor mats, TC UCA's, Allpro SS brakelines, rear ARB locker, 4.56 Yukon gears, BlueSea fuse block, bed rail light bar, Shrockworks bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Comp winch, IPF 900's, Piaa 510's, Tekonsha brake controller, Air horn, Pop 'n lock, Alcan Spring leaf packs, JVC KD-AHD 69 head unit, 12voltguy winch controller, Safari Snorkel
    [​IMG]

THIS IS THE COILOVER SET I'M LOOKING AT. IS IT A TRUE 3.5" LIFT?

3. Apr 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    If you crank it up all the way, yes

4. Apr 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    sapper987

sapper987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD SPORT DCLB Silver Streak
    3" Revtek with AAL 17' MotoMetal 955's 265/70 17 Nitto TG's Bed Mat
    The higher you go, the more stress on the CV joint. The TC UCA's have a ball joint so the benefit there is really for alignment. Going up a little will help with rubbing but I'm not sure, but think going over 3" will require more "stuff" and will certainly have a bad impact on the CV's.

Here is a good write up, I've seen it on a couple of different boards. If you haven't looked at it yet it's a nice place to start. It really explains some of the different considerations in lifting. Toku58 wrote it and really knows his stuff.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t189215.html

5. Apr 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    i'm sure your cv's will hate you :(

6. Apr 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The TC's have a 1" Uniball. Not a Balljoint. Benifits are Strength, more range of motion (More travle can be attained), and much stronger than the OEM UCA.

To Top