1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UCA's and Alignment

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toku58, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Feb 7, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    jaymac10

jaymac10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    I went to alignment shop and they said that 0 camber, 0 toe, and 2.4 caster were out of manufacture specs. I asked him about the specs above and he had a couple of comments. Spec was for .5 toe because on a rear wheel drive truck, the force is to push the tires apart. So by having a slight toe the effect at speed will be 0 toe. I can't remember his comment about having positive camber but he ended up giving me positive camber to spec. It actually kind of bugs me having positive camber having come from sports cars with negative camber.

What is the reason for trucks and positive camber anyway?

2. Feb 7, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    I would go to a different shop if you can. I've had to walk away from a couple alignment shops because the technician thought he knew everything and wasn't willing to listen. If you want 0 toe and camber then you should get 0 toe and camber. Make them do it right. You are spending your $$$$

3. Jun 22, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    TRDh4vok

TRDh4vok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gil
    Palm Beach County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD PreRunner Sport
    -4" MaxTrac Spindle lift -5100 RCD Bilstein's -1/2" Strut Spacer driver's side (Taco Lean fix) -1/4" Strut Spacer passenger side (Taco Lean fix) -4" Tapered Blocks -Extended length U bolts -Front Skid Plate -Exhaust Tip -Tube Steps - Silver -Bed Extender -LEER Tonneau Cover -Rampage Roof Cab Lights -Rampage Tailgate Light Bar Six Function SUPERBRITE with Reverse Lights, Running Lights, Brake lights, Emergency Hazard and L & R turn signals -exLED Toyota Tacoma Custom interior LED Light Kit -PIAA Xtreme White Plus head lights and fog lights -NITTO Terra Grapplers 285-70-17 -30" Avec CR-Series Led Light Bar in bumper grill -Two 6.5" Led light bar's attached to the A pillars -Hood hinge bracket mounts from Famous Fabrications -Exhaust muffler Aero Turbine AT2525XL -OEM Roof Racks -OTTRAW Rocker switch -Stant locking gas cap -Large T emblem and mid mount bracket from Diaz Fabrications
    The problem nowadays is that its hard to find places that do good alignments. Most places dont take the time to really make sure everything is right. They just do the bare minimum to get you out the door and next car in...

4. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    Kohan21n

Kohan21n A caffeine dependent life form - IG @dizzy.trd

Member:
    Nazareth, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB MGM 6MT
    I have worked at an auto shop for 4+ years now and I am the 'alignment guy' there. Some information on here is correct and some is not..

Unless you are driving on a perfectly flat road, you don't want the same Caster numbers on each side. If you haven't noticed the road is crowned across the middle so that puddles do not occur in the center of the road. Your truck is fighting that going down the road so adding more positive Caster to the RF will essentially counter that 'pull' to the right and make the truck drive straight.

I can go into more detail on that above and/or if you have any other alignment questions feel free to send me a PM! :)

My credit? - My boss is a Whelen Modified racecar driver who builds his own racecars from the ground up in his fabrication shop at home so I guess I have been taught well.

Jrozz likes this.
  5. Jan 9, 2015 at 7:27 PM
    jhcole

jhcole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB 4x4 TRD-OR MGM
    ToyTec 3" w/ Bilstein 5100's
    Looking for some input from the experts on here...

Truck: 2015 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR, 265/75/16 BFG AT KO2's

Lift:
    FR: 2.5" Eibach/ToyTec 521600 coil, Bilstein 5100 set to 0.0" (1/2" top plate spacer option)
    RR: ~2.0" ToyTec/Deaver AAL

Plan to install my lift next weekend. I want to avoid aftermarket UCA's at all costs.

The ToyTec kit I ordered includes the 1/2" top plate spacer for the full 3.0" of lift. My question is should I opt to leave this out, in order to be able to get the caster closer to where it needs to be? I do a lot of highway driving so I don't want alot of drift. What should I target in terms of custom alignment numbers?

Also how much rake do you think I'll end up with if I just do the 2.5" coil, and 2.0" AAL on my '15 TSB leafs?

6. Jan 10, 2015 at 5:14 AM
    TacoBow

TacoBow Intentionally cosmetically correct.

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Quad LB
    Jc - for the sake of space saving, (and because breakfast is minutes away from the table), leave the spacer out.

My experience with lifting these trucks is my own, from 2001, 2008, 2006 and 2012.

With the exception of that 2001, my trucks from 2006 up near the 3 inch mark have required aftermarket UCAs to achieve solid alignment numbers.

The rake question is subject to the springs, and for me, has varied a great deal based on age, haul usage history and semi consistent factory spring rates.

7. Jan 10, 2015 at 7:55 AM
    jhcole

jhcole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB 4x4 TRD-OR MGM
    ToyTec 3" w/ Bilstein 5100's
    Thanks for the input.

Anyone care to chime in with an attainable caster target for the alignment shop? Given the 265/75/16 and a 2.5" front lift coil?

8. Jan 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM
    My Love Machine

My Love Machine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    King ext. coilovers set @ 2 inches. Icon progressive AAL. Total Chaos UCA's. Allpro ext. front break lines. TRD black beadlock style wheels. TRD shift knob. Jumpers red interior LEDs. 3M 30% front window tint. Wet Okole's in front(black/light grey full piping). Color match grille. Tacoma bed mat.
    Why is such a battle with the dealership to improve alignment specs? I just spent 30 minutes trying to explain to their techs why I wanted the camber adjusted closer to 0 and to get as much caster without going over 2.4. They acted all pissed and inconvenienced that I wanted better specs after setting my 5100s to .85. Is it hard for techs to dial things in?

9. Jan 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM
    MPLS TACO

MPLS TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CHad
    MN
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    3" Lift with UCA, Grillecraft grille, XD rims w/ 285/70r17 duratracs, leer xq cap,
    The stealerships only do what they WANT I have never had luck telling a dealership of any kind what I wanted and actually got it. I feel as though they don't want to put in any more effort than what is just satisfactory. I am sure there are some awesome techs out there but I tend to think those ones own their own shops and have more of a love for what they do rather than the "it pays the bills" attitude.

10. Jan 19, 2015 at 5:22 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Huh , I went into my dealership with LR UCA's , told the tech how they were adjusted and what numbers I wanted and he let me come into the bay while he did the alignment to make sure I was happy with how everything was done , hit the numbers I wanted perfectly

Alfred likes this.
  11. Jan 19, 2015 at 8:19 PM
    My Love Machine

My Love Machine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    King ext. coilovers set @ 2 inches. Icon progressive AAL. Total Chaos UCA's. Allpro ext. front break lines. TRD black beadlock style wheels. TRD shift knob. Jumpers red interior LEDs. 3M 30% front window tint. Wet Okole's in front(black/light grey full piping). Color match grille. Tacoma bed mat.
    I have an alignment appointment tomorrow. I'm hoping they will let me do the same. It was just hard to convince them to adjust the current specs.

12. Jan 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM
    MPLS TACO

MPLS TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CHad
    MN
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    3" Lift with UCA, Grillecraft grille, XD rims w/ 285/70r17 duratracs, leer xq cap,
    Must be a Canadian thing no dealerships around my area are like that. They all stay within factory spec's on everything and that's it.

13. Feb 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Good info, thanks for the write up. Just a couple of questions. I'm looking at lifting with 5100's and 885 coils which should put me around 2.5" in the front. How bad could I expect the driving to be after the lift but before the alignment? Unfortunately where I live there is only one place to have an alignment done and I may prefer to have it done elsewhere which would include a 45 minute drive on the highway. Would it be unsafe to drive that far prior to alignment?

Second question is I've heard a number of people talking about their lift settling after having been installed for a couple of months... If this happens do you need to have another alignment done? Do the 885x coils settle or should I expect it to remain the same as when initially installed? As far as I know nobody in canada offers lifetime alignments.

14. Aug 11, 2015 at 10:01 AM
    mAtTyG04

mAtTyG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quick Sand OR
    6112 Front Suspension, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Nitto Ridge Grappler - LT285/75R17 C, Rear Blackout Tacoma Badge, De-badged, Icon Rebound Wheels, TRD Grill Gights, CBI Ditch Light Brackets w/ Baja Design Lights, Husky Liners, JBA UCAs, Geenlane Off-road Sliders, Tacotrooper Decal, DuraBump Rear Bump Stops, Pro-clip USA Phone Mount
    How much will these numbers vary with coilovers set at 2" of lift? Is it more dependent on tires size or lift size? Currently set around 2"'s of lift and running 32" tires.

15. Aug 20, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    mAtTyG04

mAtTyG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quick Sand OR
    6112 Front Suspension, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Nitto Ridge Grappler - LT285/75R17 C, Rear Blackout Tacoma Badge, De-badged, Icon Rebound Wheels, TRD Grill Gights, CBI Ditch Light Brackets w/ Baja Design Lights, Husky Liners, JBA UCAs, Geenlane Off-road Sliders, Tacotrooper Decal, DuraBump Rear Bump Stops, Pro-clip USA Phone Mount
    Much better

D83E0BA5-CDA8-44D3-B74F-58712C164B1D_31a03007bd7baee7e23df0c8d5efe72ed66f4394.jpg

BLACK08TRD likes this.
  16. Nov 4, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    pseudomike

pseudomike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael LaValley
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    I'd like to share my experiences with upper control arms and lift kits. I have had five Tacomas, all lifted. 3 of those were 2nd gen.

My first second gen was a 2005 4 banger 5 speed Access cab 4x4. The day I brought it home I ordered 2.5" front spacers, 1" rear blocks, P rated 265/75/16 Geolanders on AR Mojave wheels. I drove that setup with no issues to about 40k miles when the tires were in pretty tough shape. My backend was starting to sag a little so I bought an AAL kit from fat bobs garage and installed 5100's all the way around with the fronts set at 2.5". The 5100's were a huge improvement over the stock setup. I also bought another set of Geolanders 265/75/16 but E rated. Those tires took me to about ~120K miles when I bought a set of KO's in 265/75/16. Somewhere along the way I had swapped out the rear leaf packs because of sagging for a set of wheelers HD's if I recall correctly. In 2009 I traded that truck in with a 180k on a 2009 DCLB TRD Sport in Pyrite Mica. The KO's had 60k miles and still looked great. I never had UCA on that truck and got 70k+ out of a set of tires with no dribvability complaints. I also never replaced a single front end bushing, joint, or bearing. Just the 5100's and brakes.

The day I bought the 09 DCLB home I installed the spacers which I had from the last truck and butchered the old leaf packs up to make an AAL for the new truck. I also had a set of 265/70/17 KO's installed on factory sport wheels with a fresh alignment. I drove that setup to 65k miles and the tires were getting thin. At that time I installed a full OME kit, 885's up front with trim packers, Dakars in the rear, Light UCA, and Nitrocharger shocks all the way around. I also installed a new set of KO's with a fresh alignment. The OME setup provided the best riding Tacoma I had ever had. I drove that setup about 25k miles and started noticing cupping on the front tires. Mind you I rotate about every 8-10k when I change my oil. Shortly thereafter the truck failed inspection for faulty upper ball joints. Here in Massachusetts driving with a failed safety inspection is a moving violation so the truck was parked for a week while Light Racing sent me my FREE replacement set of ball joints. I installed them, payed about $80 for an alignment and was on my way again. Those tires lasted about 35k miles before they needed replacing and I installed another set of KO's. Around 130k miles I started getting suspension noise up front and was noticing tire wear again. This time I jacked the truck up and noticed that the bushings in the control arms were shot. At that point I took the Light UCA off and threw them in the trash and reinstalled my factory UCA. I also removed the trim packers and paid another $80 for an alignment. The truck drove exactly the same. At 140k I needed tires again 40k on the KO's so I bought another set of KO's. I drove the truck from there to 200k so 60k on those KO's and traded it in on a 2012 DCLB Sport TRD in white. Aside from the Light UCA and a set of wheel bearings I never had to touch a joint etc in the front end. The tires still had decent (legal) tread.

The day I brought the 2012 home I ordered a full OME kit, 884's up front, Dakars, and Nitro Charger Sport shocks. I installed the 884's with the trim spacers I had pulled out of the 09 and also removed the 3rd leaf in the Dakars. I topped it off with a new set of P rated Coooper AT3's in 265/70/17 (trying to conser MPG's at $4/gal). I drove that setup to 55k miles when the tires started to get a little thin. I had also purchased an ARE cap so the Dakars ahad settled a bit and I wanted some rake back so I pulled the trim packers and installed 245/75/17 KO's. I just turned 100k and the KO's still look great.

So here is my 2 cents on UCA. Unless you are going beyond 2.5" they are a waste of money. I have driven a few hundred thousand miles in three trucks without them and zero issues with drivability or tire wear. My alignments always came back in spec albeit on the periphery. I drive hard 80-85mph on the interstate. I have been all over North America hunting and for work, California, Northern Alberta, Texas, Florida, all the way to Hudson Bay. I have driven on some of the crappiest gravel roads Canada has to offer in the fall and spring as well as the 80+MPH interstates in the midwest US. The only truck I had with aftermarket UCA had nothing but problems. My tires wore out quickly, and I was plagued with ailing parts, and multiple alignments. The exact reason I drive a Toyota is so that I am not plagued with ailing parts. So my advice is unless you go above 2.5" forget the UCA. If you do go above 2.5" be prepared to spend nearly what you paid for the entire lift on a good set. I researched getting some camburgs for a short while but there was some skepticism about getting much better alignment #'s with them. Aside from the Camburgs there is little for affordable UCA options that look to be of good quality. I have even seen a thread here where the welds broke on a guys Light UCA. Your mileage may vary, and if you are running 33's with high offset wheels the need for more castor may be a bigger issue. Anyhow, I see a lot of threads on here about UCA adn "what are your #'s" I am going to stick with real world experience and lots of miles to back it up.

17. Nov 15, 2015 at 6:19 PM
    Black n blue

Black n blue Active Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT LONG QUAD
    886 OME SUSPENSION BUSHWACKER FLARES DEMELLO OFFROAD 3 HOOP ACRO LIGHTS
    I have OME 886 coils and nitro chargers up front, 6k mi after an alignment on new tires I have severe cupping on both front tires almost 1/4 inch in some places. For now I just rotated the tires. I have some suspension noise from the front but can't locate it. Everywhere I read stock the uca is fine with the OME kit. I'm a little lost as to what to do to fix my cupping problem. If I'm a little light on the weight ratings for the 886 coil would that cause me to get unsat alignment or is there another problem I'm not seeing?

18. Nov 15, 2015 at 10:17 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    just recently threw on some SPC UCA's after dealing with less than ideal (1.4*) caster after my 1.75in lift in the front.

Took my truck to a guy who only does alignments and front end work, been doing it for 29 years. He spent a solid hour n a half dialing everything in. Literally 3.43 and 3.45* of caster on both sides, -.41 and .42* of camber and .1 on both sides of toe, Exactly what i wanted. Best 90 i ever spent on alignment, ill never go back to a wham bam thank you maam shop like big brand for an alignment, when 30 bucks more gets me proper treatment.

19. Dec 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM
    matt0824

matt0824 Tin-Toy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SW< PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCLB Magnetic Grey
    6" Rough Country / 35's / All Pro Front Bumper & Sliders / Warn VR8000 / Bilstein 5100's / PIAA 4" Fogs / ATX Teflon Wheels / 4" Antenna / Clazzio Leather Seat Covers
    I have a 6" lift w/35's with original UCA's. Here's my alignment today. It's all green but do you see the need to upgrade an UCA? This was done at a stealership but had no issues and did it quickly..

20151226_182529.jpg

20. Dec 26, 2015 at 3:51 PM
    PoweredBySoy

PoweredBySoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top