1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ultimate Camping Thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by davestaco, Oct 9, 2010.

1. scocar

scocar Not one of the 10,000 Baja Edition Elite Guard

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    01 Xcab TRD 4x4 V6 Man. SR5
    OME 881s, Dakars, greasable shackles, Nitrocharger sports, extended exhaust hanger, BAMF BPV relocate, Wheeler's extended brake line, rear diff breather mod, swaybar removed, Pilot backup lights, Redline hood struts, 4Runner 5-stars, Hidden Hitch Class III, 7-pin marine-grade wiring
    Picked up our teardrop Saturday and took it to the redwoods. This is for our non-backpacking trips. Here is a teaser for now, and I'll post more later. I might have to do a thread on this. :)
    [​IMG]

2. medic2230

medic2230 Ditch Doctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Columbus, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper
    Can't wait to see this! I'm really interested in how the inside looks. I've been looking real hard at building one lately. Did you have yours custom made?

3. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    :eek: I want to do some camping.... I need to before it gets too hot here. right now is perfect. gets up to about 85 during the day and about 60 at night. I do miss the mountains though...

4. scocar

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    Vehicle:
    OME 881s, Dakars, greasable shackles, Nitrocharger sports, extended exhaust hanger, BAMF BPV relocate, Wheeler's extended brake line, rear diff breather mod, swaybar removed, Pilot backup lights, Redline hood struts, 4Runner 5-stars, Hidden Hitch Class III, 7-pin marine-grade wiring
    Yes, it is really impressive quality and built to last the ages. We had it modified from a standard model they offer (Treeline Teardrops, model 509--a 5x9 body). We added cabinetry options, had them install stereo equip that we supplied (updgrade from their standard offering), did some custom work on the tailights (because I wanted a reverse light, which is not standard), added a ice chest/fridge sliding rack (which will fit an ARB or Engle), and the custom alumimun LPG tank and bracket (another option).
    I'll just have to do a thread.
    I was able to take pics of various stages of completion on several trailers in the shop, so you can really see the ribbing, jigs, wiring, etc. These guys do absolutley top-notch work with top-grade materials and will customize anything...if you have the $$$. The also sell almost all the parts, too, like molded aluminum trim, double-hinges, etc. But not the CNCd wood panels or aluminum skin.

You'd need a lot or room to build one.

5. Seabass

Seabass I need to go return some videotapes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    <insert thief bait here>
    :drool:

God I want one of these so bad as my bug-out shelter and gear carrier. Ready to rock and roll at a moment's notice.

6. scocar

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    Vehicle:
    They have an offroad model that is incredible, includes LOA Dakars, stronger frame, etc. Thing is, it is VERY expensive, and the more stuff you put on these (roof rack, RTT, jerry can racks, more LPG bottles, etc.), the more it degrades the classic clean teardrop lines. As it is, my "onroad" model had 15 inches of frame clearance and torsion axles. I also upgraded to 15 inch wheels (14 is standard). it handles bumps well. My only concern offroad is the tire spec and sidewalls, but this is not intened for rough use. Forestry roads in decent repair will be no problem. It can handle big potholes very easily.

If I wanted full offroad bugout, I would likely do a military style trailer.

7. Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    Sorry for the late reply, I don't come on here often.

What kind of temps are you planning to use it in? I've found thermarest pads to work well during summer, but don't give me enough shoulder coverage. It's hard to say, as everyone sleeps a little different. Hammocks compared to anything else I've tried, has been the coldest sleep.

Your setup sounds like it should work okay.

8. Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    A few photos from this weekend's camp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    My Hammock setup
    [​IMG]

Love this Leatherman
    [​IMG]

Loved this new pack: Frost River Royale Isle Jr.
    [​IMG]

10. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    Awesome pics Mudman. Im :jellydance:

11. MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    in the kitchen
    Vehicle:
    99 - 3.4L V6 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners, CVT Mt. Bachelor RTT, custom bed rack & CBI sliders
    Taking the RTT for its maiden voyage in Yellowstone this weekend :yay:
    Current weather forecast is 71*/43* on Saturday and 64*/40* on Sunday, 10% chance of precip.

I might get brave and test out the new 15* sleeping bag too!

12. NYCO

NYCO ‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    this thread is killing me! shouldn't have come in here....still lots of snow in our mountains

luckily going to moab next week to get out...no new camping gear this year, but can't wait to test out the new camera lens :D

13. scocar

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    Vehicle:
    Schweet. We expect a full photo report.

14. MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    in the kitchen
    Vehicle:
    99 - 3.4L V6 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners, CVT Mt. Bachelor RTT, custom bed rack & CBI sliders
    Cabin fever is really bad this year for me too. I have new toys to try out! :goingcrazy: I must go camping!

:eek: FULL photo report?!?!? You do realize a weekend in Yellowstone could mean 700 to 800 pics right?

15. scocar

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, but you only 3 or 4 will be worth posting :p

16. capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    33's,armor,dents, ect
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox
  17. MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    in the kitchen
    Vehicle:
    99 - 3.4L V6 4WD
    My RTT is not "elk proof" I know this will be a problem for me in the future...

[​IMG]

18. Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    Hey how comfortable or uncomfortable is that mattress pad in the RTT? I'm thinking about buying a 3" memory foam topper to put in mine.

19. skygear

skygear           

Member:
    Crossbow

20. MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    in the kitchen
    Vehicle:
    99 - 3.4L V6 4WD
    hmmm...not sure it would be safe to stuff that much in there. You might put too much stress on the hinges...
    I'm a side sleeper and the 1st trip I did notice that my hip and shoulder were feeling a little sore the next day. This time around I took my thermarest self inflating mattress along and slept like a baby!
    The mattress is fairly comfortable though

:eek: NO! Besides that would be a felony I believe...I was in Yellowstone Park, no hunting allowed there!

To Top