1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ultragauge observations and question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by forana, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Mar 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM
    forana

forana [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB OR
    Ok so I installed UG. Pretty awesome.

One observation I made. If I'm cruising at 35-40mph UG shows that 5th gear has better mileage than 6 th gear. 5th gear will show 44 or so mpg and 6th will show 30 or so.

Does this sound right? Only thing I can think of is 6th is too high and engine works harder at 40mph. What u guys think?

2. Mar 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    forana

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB OR
    Not yet. Gonna do both on next fill up.

3. Mar 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB MGM
    Afe CAI (removed back to stock intake), TSB 4 leaf pack with Firestone Air Bags and Daystar cradels, 3rd OEM HU, Wranger All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar 265/75/16, Cali raised LED pods, Wheeler Off Road Front Bump Stops.
    You're asking the engine to maintain a speed in a gear that is too tall for that speed.

Remember, you can get bad gas mileage not only going to fast, but too slow also.

4. Mar 18, 2012 at 4:21 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Under very light load, like flat ground or downhill, I run 6th down to 30 mph because it gives better mileage. Anything more than that and I won't run it under 35 mph.

Watch out for doing very slow acceleration in 6th at those low speeds - it's darn easy to do and a killer for mpg.

5. Mar 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    dfxdig

dfxdig Well-Known Member

Member:
    myrtle beach, sc
    Vehicle:
    06 trd offroad sr5
    k&n intake, custom bed rack
    i'm thinking, i would not like to behind you. that type of driving tends to bring a very large vein in your forehead.
    that said, watch your gauge, if you step on the gas the mpg's will go down. let off the gas and it's amazing the miles you'll get.
    rpms and engine size. it's all about the rpm's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mar 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Huh? A substantial portion of my commute is under a 35 mph posted speed limit. How does that make your veins pop out if I fail to recklessly speed in those residential zones? Are you (erroneously) assuming I'm suggesting going 30-35 mph on public highways? Please say no.

A lot of hypermilers go under the PSL to get best mpg. I absolutely NEVER do unless that rare occasion when I'm on the freeway where I do 65 in a 70mph zone. My goals are improving my mpg in a way that no one else really notices.

I have however seen veins on peoples foreheads who think it's ok to do 70+ on 55mph roads and tailgate me for it (even though my speed at times technically is in excess of that speed limit), but then again I get relief that someone has to pay for our new jail.

Another use for 6th gear, if you're on a really gentle downhill at 25 mph that is much to shallow for engine braking, you can knock the rpm down with 6th lower than neutral or 5th gear would give you and cut fuel consumption a little bit.

I did see that before I put synthetic gear oil in the tranny the differences between 5th and 6th gear mileage at lower speeds was far less. I assumed this was due to 5th just locking the input and output shafts together and 6th having to transfer its torque through the friction of two gearsets via the countershaft.

7. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    forana

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB OR
    Iron, no matter how I drive at 35mph, i get better MPGs in 5th than 6th. And its not like its close or anything. Its way better to be in 5th than 6th

dfx, I thought it was all about the rpms too but after getting the UG, its not. Like my original post said, at 35mph, 5th gear reads better mpgs than 6th even at a lower rpm.

8. Mar 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    That's weird. Maybe they changed the ecu programming for '12, though I'm not sure why they would do that. Keep an eye on it too, as the tranny breaks in it may change.

I get better mileage in 6th gear 100 percent of the time up to about 75% load at very low speeds.

Everyone's truck is different I guess. Not an impossibility for sure since there isn't technically a 5th gear in this truck and friction is doubtlessly lower that way.

9. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I can cruse with mine in 6th at 40 but it had better be damn flat cause as soon as I touch the gas the mileage takes a hit but I usually can beat the instant mileage in 6th over 5th. Driving watching the Ultra Gauge has netted me a good 2 MPG gain last tank with winter blend and snow tires was 20.7 the gauge showed an average at 21.1 pretty close I liked the gauge figure better though. There is nothing close in Maine so I usually drive 55 with the cruse control on, on the rural roads that helps the mileage.

10. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat "Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    93 Pickup 4x4 [22R-E] 5MT
    OME suspension, LCE Performance parts, Konigs, etc. [see build]
    I have a 12 and get better mileage in 6th @ 35. . .

11. Mar 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    forana

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB OR
    Maineah is right. If its flat 6th is usually better but the second u hit the gas under 40, mileage sucks.

The ultra gauge has been great. Allows me 1-2 mpg improvement. Probably more useful with manual than auto.

Through my calculations the ultragiage saves me a gallon of gas per tank. So it'll take me 15 fill ups for it to pay for itself.

12. Apr 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    Rodallg

Rodallg Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Just received and hooked up my unit yesterday. Plan on a fill up today so I can calibrate for MPG. Do I need to set the distance if I have stock tires and my odo is right on with the GPS?

I have to say I only drove around the block with it (haven't mounted yet) and I love this thing so far, I'm a gadget kind of guy.

13. Apr 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    forana

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB OR
    Rodallg, my understanding is that if you calibrate both MPG and Distance your readings will be more accurate.

mine have been pretty good and I only calibrated MPGs. Haven't had a chance to do distance yet. Pretty hard to find a road with mile markers that I can pull over and mess with the UG.

To Top