1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UN Lifting 2016 Tacoma Sport DCSB

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Opihi59, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Jan 11, 2018 at 5:04 PM
    Clay7160

Clay7160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRDOR DCLB 4x4
    GYEON ceramic coating
    Anytime, man ! 1974 was a good year that’s when my dad forgot to pull out, May 31 to be exact if your dragon like sending out birthday cards. And if you have any sisters, our daughters between the ages of 30 and 45 send them my Way, I’ll teach them how to wrangle mosquitoes in Louisiana, and cook.

PS I don’t mind Anklebiters I have a couple of electric dog shock collars if they get out of line.

2. Jan 13, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    Opihi59

Opihi59 [OP] Vulgar Boatman

Member:
    Beyond Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT
    Unknown lift, maybe 2" I don't know how to ID it, and would rather set it back to stock.
    So a buddy of mine came across a '16 Tacoma Sport, DCSB automatic, stock height that he is baby sitting for a bit. Between dodging incoming missiles/spurious incoming missile alert, I had the opportunity to do some comparisons. His had just been undercoated, and the shocks got some overspray but they appeared to be the green Hitachi ones. I'm guessing that is stock, right? I did some comparison with his front coils, they are more tightly wound/closer spaced coils, and are a dull/matte black color, also seem to be a bit smaller caliber wire than mine so to speak. Mine are more widely spaced between the coils, very glossy powder coating, and slightly thicker wire though I didn't mic it at the time. Maybe next time.
    Also, measuring the top of the bedrail in the back, mine is about 54" from ground height, while his is barely 51" in stock trim. Not sure how I got as much lift in the rear out of a 1 3/8" lift block, but my leaf springs do look to be stock. Are there any particular markings on the stock ones that could tell me if they are indeed stock? They have the same number and configuration of leaves, so they look just like his. I wiped off some dirt and found a "+" sign in white paint, and there was a green dot on one of them. I will try clean off the dirt and photo them and any identifying features, maybe tomorrow. I seriously doubt I have any sort of a body lift on it.

3. Jan 13, 2018 at 6:43 PM
    CZ5ANM Taco

CZ5ANM Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Manual 35x11.5s
    Front Suspension King Ext Fronts 700# Icon UCA delta joints JD fab spindle gussets All Pro cam tabs DuroBumps Warfab steering sleeves Rear Suspension Old Man Emu leafs -Radflo Ext travel rears Timbrens ubolt flip kit SCS stealth 6 Wheels 35x11.5 Maxxis Razr [ 34.5 x 9.75 on 8.5 rim not on truck] Heavy Stuff Relentless front bumper Smitty 3rd Gen winch Big County Customs skid plates Arc One industries rear HC bumper RCI sliders Misc Arb dual compressor Arb rear locker Pelfreybilt fuse panel tray Cali raised ditch light mounts Cali raised bed stiffeners 5th Gen 4runner LED fog lights Racks Retraxone XR tonneau Yakima load bars Sherpa Roof Rack Camping Smittybilt Tent Dometic CFX50 fridge
    1: No body puts after market leaf springs together with blocks

2: front springs- yours are more tightly wound because the overall height of the spring is compressed under the same vehicle weight as the truck you are comparing to.

You are not taking into consideration how the front bilsteins actually work. They can be set at zero -> two inches lift. Same spring compressed in a smaller overall distance gives more lift.

3: Overall height equaling ~3 inches. Your block plus 1/2 overall tire height difference plus minus who has more gas in the tank..... tire pressures... get your buddy to stand on the bumper and see how much 150-200 lbs squats the rear end meaning who has more weight in the truck. List goes on and on.

- unfollowing thread now. Good luck and take care.

4. Jan 15, 2018 at 11:28 PM
    Opihi59

Opihi59 [OP] Vulgar Boatman

Member:
    Beyond Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT
    Unknown lift, maybe 2" I don't know how to ID it, and would rather set it back to stock.
    I have sought to obtain further objective data between my lifted '16 Sport, and a stock '16 Sport and provide it, rather than random subjective opinion. They are both DCSB and are identically loaded. I have found that my leaf springs are indeed stock. They are imprinted with the stock PN under the dirt, after I washed it off. This is the part number for the stock passenger side leaf spring.

IMG_5731.jpg

This is the OEM part number for the stock driver's side leafspring below.

IMG_5733.jpg

I have mic'd the diameter of my front coils, and have banana for scale to demonstrate the coil spacing. First photo is of my unknown manufacturer aftermarket front coil, the diameter of the wire is 0.655" The coils are more widely spaced than the OEM, and both of these '16 Sports are "unloaded," so with everything else equal, here is how they sit. The first photo with the shiny coils, is my Tacoma, with the non-OEM, more widely spaced springs.

IMG_5738.jpg

This (below) is the appearance of the stock '16 Sport front coils, the banana for scale does not insert as far into the coil spacing, and the black line on the banana represents how far the banana went into the coils on my aftermarket spring. On the OEM spring, the wire diameter is 0.703" so it is actually a little thicker than the aftermarket spring of unknown brand on my Sport. And you can see the OEM spacing is much tighter between coils.

IMG_5780.jpg

I also looked at the body pucks for any evidence of a body lift on my truck, and found them to be identical to those on the known stock/OEM '16 sport. I've spared you the photographs.

So why is it again I'm doing this? I didn't have the luxury to purchase a new unmolested '16 Sport, but bought a used one at 5900 miles which had been altered. I have little idea what the PO did to lift this rig (but I am learning), whether or not this is a safe lift, or just something he bodged together out of available bits and pieces, and it means something to me because it's now mine. My wife, kids, and I drive this, and I feel to be completely comfortable in it, I need to know the details. I have to say, I like the current stance, I just want to know what was altered here. If anyone is familiar with my front coils based on appearance and wire diameter, I'm happy to hear from you.

Products Discussed in

To Top