1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unclear how to install the driver's side slider on a 2017

Discussion in 'Pelfreybilt Off-Road' started by pixelsailor, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Jun 3, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    pixelsailor

pixelsailor [OP] TTC #33

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    Devourer of wallets
    things
    Installing my bolt-on sliders this morning on my 2017 DCSB. Passenger side went on easy. Only had to drill one hole at the rear cross-member. The problem on the driver side is due to the brake line and the electrical relay box that the brake line passes through.

IMG_20170603_112703.jpg

I'm thinking I can simply unclip the brake lines and remove the relay box. That should give me enough room to slide in the front mounting plate. Then reattach the relay box and... I don't know what to do about the clips. I don't think they'll clip back in place once the slider is bolted on -- unless there's holes for them.

So assuming there's no issue with doing any of that, @Pelfreybilt also supplies a spacer that one of the brake line clips is supposed to attach to. Only place where it will even fit and not interfere with the relay box is the rear-most clip, at which point it doesn't seem to serve much purpose -- there's no bolt that connects near there -- and only adds stress to the brake lines. There's also an additional hose that is attached there which is not pictured in the instructions.

IMG_20170603_112712.jpg

The instructions seem outdated, intended for a 2nd gen. The supplied parts kit also seems outdated in regards to the spacers. Will I run into any issues if I opt not to use the spacer at all? Has any one else installed these on a 2017 that could share some insight as to what they did? Working around brake lines just has me a little over cautious. I don't want to screw something up only to have to deal with bleeding them.

Tacoridge likes this.
  2. Jun 4, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    Mcdees84

Mcdees84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB-TRD O/R
    I can't remember exactly, since it's been awhile since I installed mine on a 2nd gen, but I do remember removing those break lines and then installing the sliders. Then reinstalled the break lines. Also, needed the spacer just to reset the break lines. Not sure about 3rd gen, but it was pretty self explanatory. Hope you figure it out.

3. Jun 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM
    pixelsailor

pixelsailor [OP] TTC #33

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    Devourer of wallets
    things
    It seemed really self explanatory on the surface. But that spacer, the stiff brake lines, and the discrepancies between generations have me acting a little over-cautious. Just found out about a death in the family though so I'm going to just have to throw the other on there asap and hope for the best so I can make the drive back home. :fingerscrossed:

4. Jun 6, 2017 at 3:16 PM
    Pelfreybilt

Pelfreybilt Pelfreybilt Off-Road, Inc.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pelfreybilt
    El Cajon, California
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    ~ Pelfreybilt aluminum 4runner front bumper and Rocksliders coated by Line-X San Diego ~ Baja Designs- LED Lighting Grill with LED lightbar & 40" roof rack lightbar ~ Rigid Industries rock lights ~ Front Runner Outfitters roof rack, fridge slide & bottle opener ~ CVT Rooftop Tent & Awning ~ Goose Gear storage drawers ~ Katzkin Leather seat covers ~ Switch-Pro control kit ~ Factor 55 Flatlink ~ WARN VR8000-S Winch ~ Fuel Offroad Trophy Wheels ~ Goodyear Kevlar Tires ~ ICON Vehicle Dynamics Stage 5 kit. Appx 2.5" lift ~ ARB lockers, skid plates & 50qt Fridge ~ JL Audio custom stereo system
    Pretty much got it right here.

pixelsailor[OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    Socalduckslayer

Socalduckslayer Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
    That little box has created additional work for 3rd gen owners. Basically your only option is like you said, manipulate the brake lines a bit so they clear any bolts etc. the front most area makes getting the large nut plate in more difficult as well, the brake lines have to be moved a bit to get it in there.
    The spacers for the brake-lines are more of an aid to give you wiggle room, they are not required.
    The brake lines are very pliable, you just have to ensure they are not in contact with anything they should not be any you're in good shape.

pixelsailor[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 7, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    pixelsailor

pixelsailor [OP] TTC #33

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    Devourer of wallets
    things
    Thanks. That clears it up a bit. :thumbsup: