1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undecided NAV unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by boxxed, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Jan 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    boxxed

boxxed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    I am trying to figure out which uint to buy. I all ready have the Nüvi880 that I think is pretty good. I am trying to decide if I should give that to my girl and put in a new NAV/stereo unit. I am interesdted in the Kenwood DNX8120. I have been to some local stores and one store wants to sell me the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT and another store wants to sell me the Visteons navigation radio system http://evisteon.com/prod_serv/mobile_electronics/products/navigation_radio/index.shtml

The Visteon guy did'nt impress me and the pioneer sceen was smaller then the other two. They all seem to offer pretty much the same fetures, that being said I only want to by this one time. I know someone pointed out that the kenwoods NAv system by Garmin is great, and from the unit I have I really seem to like it. So I guess I am interested in what people have to say about these units or any others that are out there.

Thanks

2. Jan 8, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    elmdor

elmdor Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab TRD Sport 4x4
    Beeper Pioneer AVIC-700BT
    The kenwoods are nice and if you can afford them I would say go for it.... BUT with the new update on the Pioneer AVIC units (I have the 700BT) are pretty slick and are much more affordable. The screen is smaller but the resolution is better. The IPOD integration on them is great also, check out avic411.com on the F Series board to see what other owners think. Either way the double din units look great in Tacomas!

3. Jan 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    The Kenwood Navi feature is Garmin software which is pretty awesome. Haven't really looked at the Pioneer AVICs though...

4. Jan 9, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    boxxed

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    My local store wants $1560 to install the AVIC-F90BT with Sirius and back up cam installed. I am still undecided. I like the larger screen. How much better is the screen compaired to the Kenwood? Also, is the KW NAV alot better then the others?

THanks

5. Jan 9, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    the KW NAV is by Garmin, so I'd say it's one of the best (I'm a Garmin Fan). Most in dash nav units can't compare to the Garmin stuff. (well I haven't seen any at least...

6. Jan 9, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    elmdor

elmdor Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab TRD Sport 4x4
    Beeper Pioneer AVIC-700BT
    Run, don't walk away from that installer. Installing the radio in the tacoma wouldn't be that big of a deal but wow that seems like alot. I think you can find 90BT's from authorized dealers for $600 or so. I saw a 700BT going for $398 shipped on 6thave.

7. Jan 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I got the Avic D3 it works great & looks great. The guy I got it from sold it to me because he bought the new Avic - he said it was a good switch. the only downside is the new one runs slower because it runs on the Windows platform i believe..

8. Jan 9, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    boxxed

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    Yes you are right, I will not be doing that. i went with the kw8150, back up cam, sirius and the hd radio. i am using a different installer. Also, i got the Viper 9501 with remote start, remote windows and motion sensor. now i just gotta wait for the parts to come in.

thanks,,,,

wow this truck can be addicting

9. Jan 10, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    07TACOTRDSPORT

07TACOTRDSPORT Active Member

Member:
    MOORE, OK
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER SR5 TRD SPORT X CAB
    PIONEER AVIC D3 GPS XM RADIO
    I have the avic d3. It's a nice system, but the display is hard to read in certail light, probably due to the angle it sets on....

10. Jan 10, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    cole47

cole47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Hickory NC
    Vehicle:
    Ray of Sunshine
    lift, wheels, tires
    i work at a car audio shop and the best out around now is the alpine NAV unit its kinda spendy but deff worth the price, i have it in my truck and its awesome

Products Discussed in

To Top