1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undercoating

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HeadlampRevamp, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    HeadlampRevamp

HeadlampRevamp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Buckner, ky
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    This past summer I took my truck in to get the undercoating from the dealer. I passed inspection, but "barely'' according to the service rep (that made me feel really good...).

Fast forward to now, as I look under my truck, its obvious that the frame wasn't treated at all before the coating was applied, as its now falling off in sheets. I'd say that maybe 50% of the coating is still left on the frame, the rest has fallen off.

My predicament: Should I go ahead and take the truck in to Toyota and have them respray it, or should I wait a few months and go ahead and let the coating come completely off since I "barely" passed the first time. To the naked eye, my frame looks really bad, I would much rather have a new frame then the safely hazard that is my current frame.

Thoughts?

2. Feb 2, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    FuzzyRuttin

FuzzyRuttin Blue Barchetta

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Syracuse NY
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4 stick
    What's the latest on frame rail rust recall? If you fall in that category maybe Toyota will take care of you. They gave me a good chunk of change for my 97 last year. From reading around on this forum it sounds like they've resorted to frame replacement now instead.

3. Feb 2, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    I'd personally let it rot and let them replace it since undercoating it is a waste of time after the fact.

4. Feb 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    HeadlampRevamp

HeadlampRevamp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Buckner, ky
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    I agree with you, this is probably what I'll end up doing.

To Top