1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unemployed San Diegans Rollcall

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by ryanjboutin, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Feb 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    thats what big corps like starbucks do, they put one on every corner and put the little guy out of business then close the ones that are not as profitable as the one across the street, just like walmart, and why I dont shop at either

2. Feb 8, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

JCfromDEMELLO Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    Starbucks isn't guilty of anything the big real estate guys weren't doing. They just over expanded and kept ignoring the possibility that everything would eventually burst sometime.

My fiancee' had a decent job until getting fired without so much as a warning for doing the same stuff everyone else around her was doing. Got denied unemployment and spent 4 months sitting at home cranking out resume's to dozens of jobs. 27 years old, has a 4 year degree and over a year and a half specialized experience in worker's comp law. Guess where she works?

.............Starbucks. And she freakin' hates it and so do I. But EV-ER-EE-ONE preaches and preaches that you need a degree to get a job anymore. Yeah, a job makin' $9 an hour servin' coffee to snooty dickheads.

I spent 11 years in the military, have zero college, a H.S diploma, and I make more than her working for Demello doing something I barely knew how to do just 2 years ago.

Much as I love it here, I sure could use a foot in the door type opening in IT. That's what I'm in school for now but everywhere I look, people got their IT job through a hook-up ...and they ain't sharin' the hook-up.

Least I have a job, huh? Good luck to all you guys still struggling.

...and no way in hell would I leave SoCal. I would rather be homeless on the beach in Oceanside than own a home back in Georgia where I grew up.

3. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    None
    Hard work and doing something that you love keeps people employed and enjoying life. :)

Being a self-employed guy - I have to look for work everyday. Fortunately, I am blessed getting to work for some great people and it makes life so much more enjoyable and fun.

On my bad days I make it fun by reminding myself that if I didn't have a bad day, I wouldn't know how good all the other days are!

4. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    None
    Regarding a degree. I once was an executive for an engineering/manufacturing company and one of the best engineers we had was a guy that didn't have a degree but had a lot of passion, helpful attitude and an ability to communicate. - That's the secret to a good job!

Funny you say that, some may think I'm a snooty dickhead - 'cause I like nice things - but I have a hard time going to Starbucks - they have good coffee, good samies but the freaking secret handshake code and the "making too much out of a cup of coffee" and long lines - drive me nuts - that's why I appreciate 7-11, McDonalds and most gas stations!!! They know it's just coffee! As long as they have some good coffee and creamer I am a very happy camper ;)

5. Feb 9, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

JCfromDEMELLO Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    I guess I should have added that I won't drink any coffee but Starbucks, lol. 'Specially since I get it for free. I don't drink the frilly lilly latte's mind you. I just know that no other coffee from anywhere else tastes anywhere near as strong as I like it. I'm a snob with Beer and coffee. Yeah I capitalized Beer ...

I just wish the fiancee' didn't have to work at that god awful place. It used to be a great business to work for and everyone there was like family. These days, corporate keeps firing off the long time, experienced store managers and replacing them with know-nothing dumb f***s from out of left field. My fiancee's store lost their manager to corporate "do it my way or get out" policies, and they replaced her with some jack off that used to be a restaurant manager and he has absolutely no clue how to run a business.

On the subject of degrees again, one of Jason's friends, who's a regular at the shop, is the head of IT at UCR. No college degree and at one time was makin' 6 figures. I just wish I could find the same opportunities to show people what I'm worth, as a veteran that never gets tired, doesn't care about working weekends, nights, overnight, holidays, whatever. Thankfully Jason did that 2 years ago and I feel confident saying he hasn't been disappointed. I just ...can't make a living on this income forever.

Seems to me these days, there's all this talk about wanting to hire veterans and the fed gov't wants to set the standard and recruit veterans for all kinda jobs, everybody loves veterans, yadd yadda. I've been applying for gov't jobs left and right and I'm even in a program (thank you VA) that's supposed to help you with the whole inside hook up for fed jobs ...and nuthin'. Whole lotta talkin the talk and not so much walkin' the walk when it comes to wanting to hire veterans, in my disgruntled and dejected opinion. I'm sure some other guys here could chime in when I say, once you take off the uniform, you're pretty much nobody special till veteran's day. Then all of a sudden, for one day, everybody wants to shake your hand, pat you on the back, and say thank you. I appreciate it, sure. I just wish I didn't sometimes feel like I worked my ass off for 11 years to be slinging steel and picking up trash outside on Fridays, or begging civilian secretaries at the VA hospital to spare me 15 minutes of their precious time to answer some questions.

Wow ...where'd that rant come from?

6. Feb 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Check out the San Diego Sheriffs or the SDPD.

7. Feb 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T|X Baja
    Supercharged
    I'm soon to be a SD resident and I'll hopefully be unemployed. Well, retired is what I'll be. I get a pension and can use the GI Bill to go to school.

8. Feb 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    LilManny

LilManny socaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    San Diego, CALIFORNIA. (Rancho del Rey/ otay ranch
    Vehicle:
    06 Black Crew Cab TRD SPORT 33' KM2
    DR coils, camburg UCA's, procomp AAL, 285' BfG km2 Mud Terrains, Double Din touchscreen stereo, Kicker 12' sub behind seat with 800watt amp and custom box,Flowmaster Exhaust, cb radio, race/ 2m radio, crossfab lightbar, 3 9' procomp motorsport halogens. Intake coming soon. Also have custom 6 foot flagpole to represent my charger flag on!
    thanks.... I already took the sherriffs test and the chp test i passed both since the test was the SAME ONE!! haha I couldnt believe it was exactly the same.I passed the PAT (Physical Ability Test) and the interview however im told that with my background I must wait at least another year or two. :( i guess i should also mention that I got a DUI back in 2007:eek: however after talking with sargents from both agenciess they let me know that its more so my age than anything... they dont really like to hire 21 year olds they like to wait till at least 23 24 so they can ensure we are mature enough to carry a gun and enforce laws correctly

9. Feb 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    STEVON

STEVON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVO
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Prerunner
    Reinforce tailgate
    I've been out of work since October but not too worried. As long as I get another government job or contract to sponsor my security clearance I'll be alright. Government jobs pay extra to live in cities, even San Diego can you believe it! Down side of having a clearance is that you loose it after a year of inactivity. Getting it active again is like starting over and you might never be able to get it back. It is pretty rough to live out here if you don't have friends, family or fraternity buddies to help you out. I'm originally from NJ, don't know anyone connected out here, on my own.

Stephen

10. Feb 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    ryanjboutin

ryanjboutin [OP] Mob dirt parking lots.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Off Road, 6 speed.
    Spacers. Spacers everywhere.
    I feel ya, all my friends moved back to their home states, it sucks not being from here by your self.

I had a higher than Top Secrect clearance for the duration of my submarine duties, and I still can't find decent work.

Stephen, click the second link in my signature.

11. Feb 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    Marioso

Marioso El Pitufo

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    05 debadged trd sport
    2.5 FRONT LIFT, DEBADGED, TRD OFF ROAD WHEELS, RUGGED TRAILS
    employeed by the streets

12. Feb 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    ryanjboutin

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    How's the hustle treatin' ya?

13. Feb 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    Marioso

Marioso El Pitufo

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    05 debadged trd sport
    good got two ladies working at deja vu in point loma and one at cheetahs and another at hustlers over in point loma aswell

14. Feb 10, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    STEVON

STEVON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVO
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Prerunner
    Reinforce tailgate
    Thanks for the sentiment. Moved out here in 2002 but only in the last 2 years feel it is home. I also know a lot of people who came and left. I worked as an IT consultant in NYC back east, very tough gigs, 3 hours unpaid commute every day to work and back, insane pressure and competition, wasn't for me. I got fired working at the World trade Tower 1 on sept 6th 2001. They made me move furniture even though I was hired as desktop support. When I got injured and complained, they let me go the next hour! Actually they did me a favor because the building was gone 5 days later! Decided to Move out here and it took about 5 years to find a way to get paid a living wage. Talked my way into the NMCI helpdesk to sponsor a clearance, quit after a week, way too rediculous job for an Engineer. Since then worked at for the Navy at Coronado as the South West Region Legacy Systems Administrator and got my clearance upgraded to Top secret SSBI. Certainly want to keep that clearance active! Last contract was a FBI rollout of routers and switches for regional offices. Signed up for lots of contracts since then but nothing is going on right now, no calls, email or any activity this year. I have 11 years experience in IT but out here you need some nepotism to guarantee a decent permanent job! It's not what you know but who you know. Still, I love the life style, live in mission hills for $790 a month for a one bedroom apartment, got a yard and a garage to work on projects. You just can't beat the weather, turned down a contract in Hawaii to stay here!

Stephen

15. Feb 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    ryanjboutin

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:

Dude, seriously explore the SDG&E website.

I remember seeing an IT job recently on their internet boards for a position at the Kearny Mesa building.

16. Feb 10, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    Marioso

Marioso El Pitufo

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    05 debadged trd sport
    fuck i hate IT!, i got a project managment class right now full of IT employees, one guy works at sears tryna enter the field but no trabajo available

17. Feb 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    STEVON

STEVON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVO
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Prerunner
    Reinforce tailgate
    Thanks,

Will check it out!

Stephen

18. Feb 10, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    STEVON

STEVON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVO
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Prerunner
    Reinforce tailgate
    I agree that IT is saturated, even the government lies about there being 5000 new IT jobs coming out every year! Actually they're not lying, they left out one minor detail, the new jobs are in India!
    Anyone starting a new career should pick anything else like medical assistant or CPA accountant!

Stephen

19. Feb 10, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    STEVON

STEVON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVO
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Prerunner
    Reinforce tailgate
    Check out my gallery, rebuilt this totaled doublecab to kill the boredom!
    [​IMG]

20. Feb 10, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    Marioso

Marioso El Pitufo

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    05 debadged trd sport
    yeah i feel stupid in the class cuz i know nothing about IT, but hey if u have a passion for it, dont settle for less

To Top