1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unemployed?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Leggo, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dec 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    Leggo

Leggo [OP] slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I am fortunate to have kept a job to this point. I hear about the tremendous numbers of people searching for work. Yet I have not had a single person ask me if I know anyone who is hiring. What are peoples thoughts about unemployment levels and how long should benefits be paid?

2. Dec 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
  3. Dec 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I for a fact know that all states should drug test to continue getting unemployment. Other than that unfortunately I am thankful not to have to think about it much.

4. Dec 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    We have been trying to hire another hand at work for months now and have posted in all the major newspapers and online with no luck. We had a 21 year old guy come up here but he decided it wasn't enough money. He was living at home with no bills. Granted it is a low position with $10/hr pay but that's a fortune to some.

5. Dec 1, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    well.... i just got laid off last month (again). i have been through 10 rounds of layoffs in the last 9 years and i made it through 8 of them. when i was laid off from electronic arts, they gave a very generous severence package. we got 6 months paid salary and benefits. however, lego (the company i just got laid off from) is giving the bare minimum required by federal law... which is 2 months of salary and benefits. it really is shitty of them. if they werent required to give 2 months, they wouldnt have given us anything at all.

being laid off and facing the enormous cost of COBRA ($1200 a month for me and my family and who the hell can afford that w/o a job?) makes me wish we did have some sort of government funded health care for everyone in the country. (but thats another debate).

i would say that 3-4 months of paid salary and benefits is a fair duration for being laid off from a large company. for smaller companies, i would say 1-2 months.

EDIT:
    ohh... i just re-read the first post and i see that you were referring to state unenployment. 99 weeks is a long time for unemployment benefits. i would say that less than a year of unemployment is more reasonable.

6. Dec 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    too many people milking it.
    like welfare.
    I've seen many, many people with nice trucks, iphones, nice sunglasses, while claiming it.

end of my contribution

dont ban me!

7. Dec 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    I was laided off for a year it sucked and I wanted nothing more then to get back to work! I know there are some people that are not trying but to the people like me that want to work it sucks no on is hiring I just got a new job 6 months ago and they are slowing down also! Hoping for the best!

8. Dec 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    All of us are at blame for creating a system that advocates unemployment.

That one liner should tell everyone where I stand...

And to further insulate myself from sounding political I do not support the parties currently in power. But, just the fact I have to say that says alot.

9. Dec 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    bozotaco

bozotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    I'm currently laid off, but job attached. I've never been on unemployment till now and honestly don't feel like I'm scamming anyone. 99 weeks maybe too long, but I think allot of us don't realize the full extent of this recession. I have an uncle in Chicago who lost his human resource job at a major corporation and looked for two years for any kind of similar job. He finally got a job at a Jimmy Johns making less than $20,000 a year. I'm sure everyone has a friend or relative in a similar position.

10. Dec 1, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    I know a few people who have been on UE for a while and they get paid the max compensation. They actually make more money on UE than most of the jobs that are avaliable. I kinda don't blame them...

11. Dec 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    enjm10

enjm10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Double Cab
    5% Front strip and doors, 20% wrapped around the rest of the truck.
    I'd sad to c I live in a small town where jobs r scarce but most people on unemployment r fully capable of working. They r a lot of pipeline jobs located around my area n most people just choose to sit on their ass n buy oakleys, newer cars, spend their money as if they were rich going on vacations n crap. While most of us work our asses off n can't do much with our money. I personally think welfare/unemployment should have a damn drug test policy. As a Guy working for a municipality (local water dpt) having to sign a paper to have a random drug test, whilst I work for MY money people out there r abusing the system doing drugs sleeping all day getting free money n not having a random ua is not good. I was laid off at one point but found a job right away, I was fortunate but too people who have worked hard n can't find a job I believe the unemployment is a good thing just not to the lazy sack of shits out there who work for 6 months n get laid off just to collect a bi weekly check.

12. Dec 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
  13. Dec 1, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    And that's a problem...

14. Dec 1, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    I was on unemployment while in college. Couldn't find a full time job and had a tough time finding a job that was flexible with my schooling. I was only on it for 2 months though. I found a job and still have it 3 years later.

I had a nice amount of money saved up before I was canned, but it wasn't enough to pay for me to drive to school with my bills. I think I was only making $250 a week.

15. Dec 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    berg2065

berg2065 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    5100's set at .85,eibachs, LR uca's, toytec 1.5" aal, ride rite bags, receiver hitch, ARE cap with bedrug, Thule rack, wet-okole cover, ultragauge, kenwood dnx5180 navi/receiver, ss rubi404 running factory doors and JL8
    Some years ago I was working for a company that did not have holiday/vacation pay (hourly construction work). One of my co-workers was upset that the company took the typical 4 days off for Thanksgiving. He went and tried to file for unemployment for that Thursday and Friday....and he hadn't been laid off......

He was not the sharpest tool we had in the gangbox

16. Dec 1, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    THIS^^^^

if i fail a random drug test at work, i get fired and don't get paid.

also this thread is going to get ugly. IBTL

17. Dec 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I agree on the drug testing point.

18. Dec 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    OnTheTrail

OnTheTrail Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Offroad
    I'm unemployed and it's tuff.

I applied for a job and was told they are expecting one thousand people to apply. I was called in to take exam at another place and there was a hundred other people there with me. Lots of people are out there looking.

19. Dec 1, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Good luck man, I hope it works out.

20. Dec 1, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    This kind of stuff is what makes me so mad at the people that take advantage of welfare and don't even try to find another job, while people like you are actually going back out there to try and work for your belongings.

We have a family that lives in our town that neither of the parents have had a job for at least 5 years. They try to claim all 6 of their kids as mentally challenged, when only 3 actually are. And you can tell when they get their big "paycheck" every year because they just recently bought 2 new vehicles and 3 new fourwheelers. Then they have to have people help them afford food and pay the bills towards the end of the year....

Products Discussed in

To Top