1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

unemployment?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by stratton, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Nov 11, 2008 at 3:01 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    We laid off (or fired I guess) 1/3 of our workforce a couple weeks ago. I'm one of about 80 people left. Even our President/CEO left on his own after telling us that it'll get better. We're tied to the housing market and have been in the downward spiral for a few years. We're just now trying to break into products for the renewable energy markets but it'll take time.

2. Nov 11, 2008 at 3:33 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I got the axe last Friday. The area I'm in has never been known for high-tech jobs, and it's getting worse by the day. The companies that are still in business here are all hiring contract companies for their computer support.

3. Nov 11, 2008 at 4:14 AM
    soulreaper

soulreaper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southflorida is doing the same down the toilet quick

4. Nov 11, 2008 at 4:30 AM
    stratton

stratton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have been trying to think of something I can do from home to make some money. There has got to be that niche that I could get into. I am not yet at the stage where I am going to call one of those late night tv commercials for making money at home. I just wish I was smart, I would invent something really awesome and make some F.U. money. haha

5. Nov 11, 2008 at 4:34 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    I put an ad in the local free paper saying i fix computers at home, for a lot less than the computer shops around here. It's my intention to take what's left of the business from the place that laid me off. The first thing I did was go to a bunch of companies I did work for while employed with the last place, and let them know I'm on my own. For now I sit back and wait for unemployment, I been contributing to it for 36 years, time I took some back out.

6. Nov 11, 2008 at 4:40 AM
    stratton

Member:
    Good for you. I just want to make a little extra money when i get on unemployment. The only real worry is for health insurance. MY company pays for half. So i am not sure how its going to work when i am laid off. I hope I can find inusrance pretty cheap for my wife and baby boy.

7. Nov 11, 2008 at 4:50 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    Wife and baby should be easy to cover, there's at least a dozen federal and state programs that'll take care of them. Far as you, like me, you're on your own.

Biggest insult is I'm a veteran, I go to the vet office to try and get health benefits and they go on LAST years earnings to determine eligibility. Doesn't matter you aren't making anything NOW and need the benefits NOW.

8. Nov 11, 2008 at 4:56 AM
    soulreaper

Member:
    i have to find my tax paperwork from last year so i can apply for unemployment soon i need money to make my truck payment while i try and find something else to do since almost all my skills are in the construction field from framing to welding

9. Nov 11, 2008 at 5:20 AM
    stratton

Member:
    Well my back up plan is some light construction. My mother in law owns a small wharehouse. She wants to turn a floor into apartments this winter. I havent told her yet about my situation but I am hoping for a back up plan I can help with that. Her son is doing most of the work by himself. So I am sure he will need a hand. I just wish I was a little more confident in my carpentry skills. I really need to work with a plumber and electrician to hone my those skills. Plus the more I know the more options I have in life. I could kick myself in the ass, when I was younger I had a lot of chances to learn those sort of things. But I was to busy killing brain cells and chasing tail. haha

10. Nov 11, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    soulreaper

Member:
    Yea pat I wish I could afford to move somewhere but I have no money right now

11. Nov 11, 2008 at 5:31 AM
    soulreaper

Member:
    well i got lucky my father and a few of my uncles all worked construction so i learned with them and alot from them and i have also worked for a few hvac companys along with installing windows and and welding

12. Nov 11, 2008 at 5:33 AM
    goofyboy

goofyboy Longhorn.

Member:
    Katy, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    contractors are getting cut left and right. our contingent staff is still safe, but no overtime. i will get my hours cut or get a pay cut before i get let go. i am in a niche position and am the only one that knows how to do what i do. i am very lucky to work for the company i work for, as they will do everything they can before they quit paying.

Good luck to all that are out there. also, if there is anyone that has microstation or SmartPlant P&ID experience, i might be able to help.

13. Nov 11, 2008 at 6:28 AM
    stratton

Member:
    I am actually using microstation right now at work.

14. Nov 11, 2008 at 6:55 AM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    Im hurting

I run heavy equipment, was previously working for a tree service. My boss' business had slowed waaay down so when the hurricane hit Texas he took off to do disaster relief. So Im left high and dry. Cant find a job at all doing what I know how to do.

So Ive been driving home each week (2hrs) to work for 3 to 4 days each week. But even here my dad has been running out of work. We now have NO clearing jobs, only puting in water pipes (and the only reason for that is that the city just ran water lines out to our side of the county. If it wasn't for the water lines my dad would be at a dead stand-still also. But even with the pipes we aren't staying busy... So most of the time Im sitting on my ass.

This is a horrible time for me to be in this situation, since I JUST bout the Taco. Im paying $200 a month on that, plus rent, plus utilities, plus spending money... so im f'd. Barely getting by :(

15. Nov 11, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    Keep your head up man. It's easy to get depressed. Worst thing to do. Tell yourself it's gonna get better. NEVER give up!

16. Nov 11, 2008 at 7:19 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    I sent a few PM's to people.... But if anyone is interested in working from home. Check out http://apply.westathome.com/ I have worked here for over a year, and Its easy extra money. Its peak time of year and they may be hiring. I dont SELL, just take calls from people that are ready to order crap or get information on stuff. Its ALL SCRIPTED on what to say.

I choose to do this so I dont have to put my daughter into daycare. It works out well.... I choose my OWN hours, and work from 30 mins to 40 hours a week. I CHOOSE!

Paid every 2 week, direct depost onto a debit card.

PM me for any questions :)

17. Nov 11, 2008 at 7:53 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    neontrail I just applied there. Interesting "questionnaire". Are there really people who don't know you toast the bread BEFORE you put the butter on?

18. Nov 11, 2008 at 7:58 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE

LOL on the toast N butter!!

AWESOME!! So, they are hiring in your area? You will have to pass a backround check because of all the personal and credit card info you get during work.

It took me about 3-4 weeks to get hired and pass backround check.

Keep me posted! Oh and for the record, I get nothing for you applying or being hired. Just trying to hook a fellow taco lover up! LOL:D

19. Nov 11, 2008 at 8:03 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    Not sure if they're hiring in this area or not, but it didn't boot me when I put my location in.

There was one question asked how I heard about them, I selected "present employee" but then it asked for a name, didn't think they'd know "neontrail". Guess I could have PMed you.

NP on the background check...long as they don't do a credit check...a divorce pretty much puts that in the toilet.

We shall see!

20. Nov 11, 2008 at 8:06 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    THATS A good sign!!! You would have been asked to apply at a later date if they were not hiring in your area! You sould get a email in the next few days.

To Top