1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Uniball vs Balljoint

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Johnny2525, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Mar 16, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    Johnny2525

Johnny2525 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    ICON stage 3 suspension kit, Amp Research retractable steps, LED interior lighting, headlights, fog lights, MB wheels, FlowMaster exhaust. Rigid Industries back up lights, aFe Cold Air Intake with URD MAF sensor Calibrator
    Calling all suspension experts...

Ok, so I had a set camburg uniball uca's. NEVER AGAIN! After 3 months started making all kinds of noise ( which now, I hear is common) I tried dealing with camburg, they wanted no part of it. They just kept telling me "They shouldn't be doing that" DUH! They felt great otherwise. You can fully feel the diff between UB and BJ. Swore I'd never run Ub's again. ( I did try the teflon lube ) didn't help.
    Fast fwd 8 months later....I've been running LR's BJ UCA's. No noise but the control just isn't there. Plus I'm reading all kids of bad reviews about what happens after a year. Getting ready to upgrade to ICON's Stage 2 or 3 kit. I wanna go with the 3 but.....you guessed it Uniball's. I really like how UB's handle but if I end up with squeaks again I'll end up driving my truck off a cliff.....
    Just looking for some feedback here guys (or girls)

2. Mar 16, 2015 at 7:57 AM
    Alament92

Alament92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    HID's, Rancho quicklift, 295/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Method Race Wheels, K&N CAI, LED interior dome, map, license plate lights, 30 inch Avec LED light bar, Anti-dark hood lighting kit
    How about the new camburg uca's with moog ball joints? I'm in the same situation as you.. Don't really want to run ub's. I'm really leaning towards the camburg ball joint uca. Comes with new moog ball joints already pressed in

SoCali_Guy likes this.
  3. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:03 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    If you live somewhere salty your uniballs will start to pit, and will need to be replaced more often (and probably was the cause of your noisy UB's).

4. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:41 AM
    Johnny2525

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    ICON stage 3 suspension kit, Amp Research retractable steps, LED interior lighting, headlights, fog lights, MB wheels, FlowMaster exhaust. Rigid Industries back up lights, aFe Cold Air Intake with URD MAF sensor Calibrator
    Camburg can suck it! NEVER AGAIN! I didn't have caps either ( which I would go with if decide to go with the UB's. It's a 2014 Tacoma. I also read somewhere that UB's aren't designed for spacer lift kits which is what I have right now. I'm wondering if that was the problem. As far as the salt thing goes...I'm about 20 minutes from the beach but the truck get washed 3 or 4 times a month.

5. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Doesn't matter what lift you have, you will have the same results.

6. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I have the light racing arms no issue bushings and ball joints are good and the make replacement bushing and ball joints.

7. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:46 AM
    Johnny2525

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    Ya, that's what I thought...Thanks guys..

8. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:47 AM
    BAMFTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh

gotta upgrade to some kings bra

9. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:47 AM
    Johnny2525

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    Ha! I know, I'm new! Trying to ditch the spacer!

10. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    PPansini10

PPansini10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09' DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Thats what i just put in my truck, so far so good, no complaints... I went with the ball joint UCA and moogs because of where i live. A lot of salt almost all year around with the ocean and the winters.. didn't wanna deal with the constant greasing and squeaks from a uniball so the ball joint was for me.. They are beefy as hell and have been great so far

11. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:49 AM
    BAMFTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh

just read up on the mid travel bs thread. a lot of pages but some good info you will find.

12. Mar 16, 2015 at 9:15 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Broke the LR pivot, then the BJ's failed. Ditched those for Total Chaos. Will never go back to bj uca's arms again.

Tacomamike mike likes this.
  13. Mar 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM
    Johnny2525

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    I would love to run uniball but too noisey

14. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:32 PM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    No noise problems so far with the TC uni Make sure you're using a good quality teflon lube like the DuPont stuff. I also read where Uni caps or covers create more problems then they might prevent, for obvious reasons.

15. Mar 17, 2015 at 7:39 AM
    Johnny2525

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    Ya, I was using the dupont teflon lube. Weird thing about that is #1-I thought the tolerance was supposed to be so small. How would lube penetrate anyway and #2- When I spoke with Icon they told me you should never lube the ball? I'm just curious as to how much abuse can a ball joint actually take. Although the obvious choice for strength would be the uniball, how close of a second is the ball joint? Can I catch some air without worry??

16. Mar 17, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    My total chaos uca doesn't make noise much at all. Just gotta keep them clean and lubed up with this [​IMG]

17. Mar 17, 2015 at 8:25 AM
    Johnny2525

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    Ya, thats the stuff I was using. Once they started squeaking, they never stopped. Im fairly sure I wont go back to uniball only because I barely escaped with my life. Took everything I had not to jam sticks in my ears so I didn't have to listen to the noise. so I guess it really comes down to this...Camburg or Light Racing?? I don't see any other options. I have seen some pics where people are using an LR UCA that has ToyTecs name all over it??

18. Mar 17, 2015 at 8:37 AM
    Taco Mark86

Taco Mark86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    Magnaflow, Fox RR/ Camburg UCA up front, Bilsten 5100 and some kind of AAL/ leaf pack in the back?, Light bar w/ Hella, and an air freshener
    I've been running camburg 1.25" uniballs for over a year, no issues or squeaks

robu likes this.
  19. Mar 17, 2015 at 8:43 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    #1 Internal clearance in the uniball is around .0003"-.0008" for a new bearing, enough for the teflon fluid/spray to get in.

#2 You should not use oil- or grease lubricants in the uniball to avoid attracting dust. However, teflon dry-film lube is necessary and is recommended by certain UCA mfrs like Total Chaos.

20. Mar 17, 2015 at 9:14 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The benefit of a uniball is increased articulation capability. There's a theoretical strength advantage as well, but the UCA is not heavily loaded compared to the LCA. If you attempt jumps without a proper long-travel suspension setup, you'll probably bend the spindle before you bend even the stock UCA.

The OEM UCA is not recommended for "extended-travel" coilovers made by Icon, Fox, etc., because over time the ball joint would be damaged (ball pried out of the socket). Notice with the uniball UCAs, the uniball bore is usually 1.0" or 1.25", but the bolt is only 9/16"? By using a massively oversized uniball and reducer bushings that follow the curvature of the ball, the joint can achieve much greater misalignment angles.

Jammers1971 and scottalot like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top