1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unichip!!!!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TRDGoatFarmer, Feb 27, 2010.

1. TRDGoatFarmer

TRDGoatFarmer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 ( all stock)
    Moto metals, Toyo Open countrys, K and N CAI
    Alright, I've read through i dont know HOW MANY post's, threads, etc on chip's for the 4.0 Tacoma.. Now.. I have THREE questions. That I would like a straight answer, no bull shit, no "this has been posted already". Because frankly what use is a forum, If newb's cant ask questions with out having there head taken off??

Now..

1.) Will this give me a power increase that i WILL be able to feel?
    2.) Will this cause any harm to the ECU, or any other mechanical failure?
    3.) The only thing around here that has "chips,boxes or tuners" are diesel trucks. And lets say a 2005 Ram 2500 5.9 24v Cummins, has a Edge Box on it.. There are certain stages like, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. 1( for best fuel,7 for performance) Is this box like the one for diesel? that you can choose the setting you want?

Keep in mind, I am ALL stock right now, and the only thing I want to do is get a flowmaster muffler, and maybe a CAI. I cant, and wont ever be able to afford a S/C or turbo kit. So i just want some play power.

now, Any responses would be greatly appreciated. :)

THANKS!

2. XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    Short and simple: Get the URD MAF Cal instead

If you are just planning a muffler and a CAI, then then uni-chip is going to be overkill for you. You'd be better off getting the URD Maf Cal to dial in the tune.

Longer Version: The Unichip will be able to give you a full custom tune (spark and fuel), that will give you noticeable gains. but you will have to find a shop to do the custom tuning. Not any shop will do it either. It has to be a Unichip authorized tuner, and they charge up to $300 per session. Every new mod will require a new tune. Without addressing the exhaust, you can't do a lot with the spark timing, so you'd be more focused on the AFR which the URD MAF Cal handles very well.

Now if you are interested in upping the performance, but don't want to go the boosted route, the APR X-1 is the best bang for you buck. I could go on for days with all the features of the X-1, but in short its self-tuning* and will net the most gains when compared to any other tuner, or any other mod (minus boost or nitrous). While the X-1 isn't as costly as boost, its not quiet pocket change for most people (about $1300).

3. TRDGoatFarmer

TRDGoatFarmer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 ( all stock)
    Moto metals, Toyo Open countrys, K and N CAI
    Alright.. thank's man.. I think what Im going to do is just get some header's with an exhaust, a CAI and nice rims and tires and call it a day! ha

4. XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    there ya go.. keep it simple. :D

5. TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Get a good air filter! you dont need to waste money on a cold air intake. get some doug thorley long tube headers and a dynomax super turbo muffler welded onto your stock exhaust. that'll give you the best bang for your buck!

6. fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    My .02, XrunnIT is the guy to listen to.

7. white09taco

white09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner sr5
    3" leveling kit with 285-75-16 nitto terra grappler a/t tires,flowmaster super 40 series dual exhaust. mb chrome and black 16" rims. nerf bars. sound system/Two 10" infinity subs in ported box custom behind the backseat. K&N air filter, and vision x headlights.
    when you buy this product do you have to take it to the shop to get it tuned to my current k&n cai and flowmaster exhaust?

To Top