1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unichips Play n Play Kit

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by novanut21, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Aug 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    bcroach78

bcroach78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crew cab TRD L/B S/C
    Thanks for keeping us posted. I cannot wait to get home so I can start putting my mods on my truck. I have been trying to find a piggyback that would benefit me the most but would also not cost me over a grand. Keep the posts coming, you may be my deciding factor on the unichip or waiting for gadget to make a plug and play for 2009+.

2. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    novanut21

novanut21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, TRD S/C, Silverstars for headlights foglights and reverse lights, 5% tint, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, GrillCraft Grill, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD "Stealth" Pulley.
    Installed my gauges and yes I know I have side curtain airbags. :lalala:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    05tacoma33

05tacoma33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner Longbed
    Who makes that pillar pod? Any updates on the unichip with the Trd supercharger?

4. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, TRD S/C, Silverstars for headlights foglights and reverse lights, 5% tint, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, GrillCraft Grill, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD "Stealth" Pulley.

Lotek Inc. makes the gauge pod. I havent installed it yet was wanting to wait and have it dyno'd with and without the unichips. But after looking over my truck real good after having the headers and y-pipe installed im not too happy with that shops quailty of work. So I dont think im going to have it dyno'd there now. And its the only shop close. So I believe I may just throw the unichips on it and use the good ole butt dyno for precise measurements of hp & torque gains. :rolleyes:

5. Aug 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Looks good. I still wouldn't run the pillar pod with my curtain air bags though.:D

6. Nov 18, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    I know its been awhile been busy with work and other things. But I have an appointment tomorrow at 9am to put my truck on the dyno. I'm going to dyno it without the Unichips and after I install the it. Im going to try and do a couple of pulls before and after the unichips. I only have an hour dyno time so we shall see......will post pics and dyno sheets asap.

7. Nov 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    Can't wait to see how I. Works I have the Trd charger and 2.85 pulley now I bought the 7th injector and 2.7 pulley but have been waiting to find a good tuning solution so I can use them.

8. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    So how did it go? What parameters were you able to change and monitor? Very interested in a piggyback since there seems to be nothing for 2008+.

9. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Alright guys & gals here it is. Alittle background to start out with. I have had this kit for awhile but I wanted to put it to the test and see if the $600 I payed for it was actually going to do anything.

MOD's: AFE CAI,TRD S/C w/reflash,JBA shorties,URD Y-Pipe & Fuel Pump, Magnaflow Catback.

Pull #1 (1st dyno graph) - This is without the unichips. We did a second pull and made almost identical numbers. Notice how rich the air/fuel is. To be expected coming from Toyota wanting it to be safe.

Pull #3 (2nd dyno graph) - This is with the Unichip installed and running on MAP A which is there "low" setting. MAP B has more agressive timing. On this pull the air/fuel went dangerously lean. Hitting around 13 all the way to redline!! :eek: It was running so lean that they did not want to make another full pull. We did one more run on MAP A just running it up to around 4000 rpms still running way too lean. So we flipped the switch to MAP B (to see if maybe it would richen up) and did a light pull again to 4000rpms while keeping a close eye on the air/fuel it too was the same Dangerously too lean. (It did make more hp but lost tq as well)

(3rd dyno graph) - Is a overlay of the full pull without unichips and with the unichips on MAP A.

I contacted Unichips about this and they blamed it on the dyno saying that they are very inaccurate for newer vehicles. And a run on the dyno is not the same as driving it on the street. They were suppose to have one of there "technicans" contact me but never heard back. Also, they said they've never tested a urd fuel pump kit but still sent me a "tune" that was suppose to include it. They didnt inform me of this when I bought it. :mad:

(If you click on the dyno runs and go to my photos and click again it will enlarge so you can see it better)

10. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    with out UNICHIPS

[​IMG]

11. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    WITH UNICHIPS ON MAP A

[​IMG]

12. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    OVERLAY OF THE RUN WITH UNICHIPS & WITH OUT

[​IMG]

13. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    I can't quite make out the numbers. The graphs look good. The frickin torque curve looks great. Can you confim the before and after numbers? Thanks for posting.

14. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Without unichips 281hp and 318ft/lbs. With unichips 299hp and 307ft/lbs.
    If u click on the photo it should take u to my photo album then just click on thr photo again and it should enlarge enough to see.

15. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] ProEFI Pro128 EMS [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 170* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Aeromotive Stealth 340 LPH Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Unless things have changed with the pipe bomb, they are know to rust pretty badly. The URD Y-Pipe is made from 304 stainless steel. It isn't going to rust. The older pipe bombs obviously were made out of at best 409. Cheap steel.

If it only takes a washer or so for clearance, the better choice is clearly the URD Y.

16. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] ProEFI Pro128 EMS [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 170* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Aeromotive Stealth 340 LPH Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I know that Unichip always comes with a pre-loaded map, to get you buy, but have you now thought about tuning it to get the AFRs and timing where they need to be? I am positive that you could pick up more hp and tq with that thing tuned for your specific vehicle.

Odd the comment they said about the fuel pump. Since that is simply there to prevent high rpm lean out. Just keeps the fuel flowing, since the stock one can't.

17. Nov 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4.0L Acces Cab PreRunner
    Shortened antenna, ebay Intake, JBA long tube headers, 2nd set of cats cut out and straight piped, 14" Magnaflow muffler dumped before axle, relocated rear diff breather, Avid off road front bumper. Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 885x coils, Light Racing UCA's, 2" Toytec AAL, Hella 700ff lights, Falken Rocky Mountain AT/S 265/75/16 Load E 10ply, Blu Logic handsfree
    Ummm... DID you SEE the overlay??? Its crap! With unichip tuned you LOOSE gobs of torque and horsepower BELOW 4700 rpm! All gains are made above 4700rpm! No way its worth it for the few hp & tq above 4700rpm!

18. Nov 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    The catch with the Unichip unit is that unless you buy the tuning software only Unichip certified retailers can tune it.

19. Dec 1, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    That is what I was getting at, in a round about way. If there was an authorized dealer near him?

20. Dec 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

Yes I SEEN THE OVERLAY.........If you look at it closer you will see that when it did start to make more power the air/fuel was also starting to richen up from where it was running dangerously lean. So it has potential to make more power through the entire rpm band it just needs to bring the air/fuel ratio down to an acceptable level.

To Top