1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unlimited power train warranty

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by toyota1981, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Mar 19, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    10gaugemag

10gaugemag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    I spent nearly $3k in extended warranties on my first 3 "new" vehicles, never used them so taking my chances from here on out.

Taco16LB[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 19, 2017 at 3:15 PM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Heck, I still get offers to buy an extended warranty on a vehicle I got rid of five years ago.

InfernoTonka[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    Ledfoot 26

Ledfoot 26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR 4x4 Barcelona Red
    These free Lifetime Powertrain Warrentys are a scam they are 3rd party Warrentys,. and the dealers buy them for $200.00 bucks, They have them all over in Florida and my Dealer in Daytona Beach has Ben selling cars with these for over 20 years it's a worthless piece of paper!! It's a known fact that this warrenty has never Ben honered!! They look for a loop hole on you're maintenance records being even slightly late on an oil change or any other pre maintenance service so they dishoner it.. The only real type of extended warranty is a Toyota Factory warranty that you would pay for.....

4. Mar 19, 2017 at 4:22 PM
    InfernoTonka

InfernoTonka Infernal Order of Knights Templar of Inferno-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    TOD aka Toyota Onroad Development
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno SAF base model SR5 4x4
    My dad is in the insurance biz and a friend of his bought a used Mercedes, for whatever reason, and bought an extended warranty in hopes he wouldn't have to use it. After a year the air suspension went out and the warranty covered it!

The ugly truth is that this repair back then would have cost around $10,000. My dad's friend found out that the "wholesale repair cost" was about $5,000 which is what the insurance company was charged. So the real enemy is the rates at which mechanics charge for this repair and the retail markup of the parts.

5. Mar 19, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    TRDinOhio

TRDinOhio Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Lima
    Vehicle:
    16 Trd Pro 4Runner
    No more Turd-gen :)
    Not mechanics. What's shops charge,
    Unless it's a mechanic/owner a tech has little say in the shops hourly labor rate.
    My shop charges 196.00 an hour. If all that went to me I'd certainly not bother with Toyota's any longer

InfernoTonka likes this.
  6. Mar 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM
    Paterico

Paterico Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    It's free, it comes w the truck, and you should be keeping up w your scheduled maintenance anyway.

And yeah, there's more specific fine print somewhere else but since you didn't purchase the warranty, and you didn't sign a contract, you probably won't have access to it.

If it helps you some day, great. I not, it's no loss to you since it was free

toyota1981[OP] and InfernoTonka like this.
  7. Mar 19, 2017 at 4:49 PM
    Prof_KeenBean

Prof_KeenBean Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '17 OR 4x4 DCSB MGM
    I have a lifetime engine and transmission warranty from dealer on my taco and wife's SUV. I have it in writing that no maintence is required at any dealer. Records would only need to be shown if there was obvious evidence of negligence with oil changes or regular service. They said just keep your receipts when I change my oil. It's a good deal considering that is the unknown in these trucks.

InfernoTonka likes this.
  8. Mar 20, 2017 at 6:32 PM
    toyota1981

toyota1981 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R
    Vehicle:
    taco17
    I guess the lifetime power train warranty is legit after all. My coworker had her transmission changed for $100 (deductible) a month ago.

Also people would have been in this Toyota forum biatching about how they got burnt from autonations warranty because this is what a lot of us are good at right??

9. Mar 20, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Dude, some people here would bitch about free beer not being their preferred brand. :D

You have the paperwork and fine print. Follow it. Keep maintenance records and don't be late on anything. With luck you'll never have an issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top