1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unusual winch use.... Sanity check

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by mutilatedjak, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Jan 23, 2018 at 8:38 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak [OP] n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    So I have a 50 degree roughly 100ft downhill slope along which I need to bushwack a path through several metric shit tons of black berry bushes. I have a climbing harness and a belay device... But no decent rope. I have an old winch without a wireless controller.... So I am debating whether I tell my wife I "need" to upgrade my 1st gen 8k x2o smittybilt winch to a 9.5k xrc (but I would have to buy a separate wireless remote) or a 2nd gen 10k x2o winch with the included wireless controller, so that I can use it to help lower my self down the slope. Yes I realize this is a huge stretch... But shit if I can justify a new winch because of yard work my wife wants done... I will sure try heh.
    I have searched and searched for the wireless range of the x2o and I can't find anything.... It would be a bummer to get 50ft down and for it to lose signal. I knew I could just pull myself back up, but still.

Am I crazy /stupid to try and lower myself with my winch? If it was a vertical cliff I would not even tempt this, but it's just a super steep hill.... Let me know what you think!

austin2009 and Wishbone Runner like this.
  2. Jan 23, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Could you shovel steps into the aide of the hill?
    That does sound a little ridiculous but at the same time......id probably have fun lowering myself down a hill with a winch.

Tac0maSteve and mutilatedjak[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 23, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    mutilatedjak

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    I could... But then that option doesn't involve a new winch heh. I do need to keep the path smooth and to move a literal ton of rocks down it later, so steps might hinder that. Thanks for the idea! I just want get ideas I didn't think about it heh.

4. Jan 23, 2018 at 8:52 PM
    mutilatedjak

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    And exactly.... It would be fun... As long as I am not missing anything some disastrous detail heh

5. Jan 24, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    Cold_Toad

Cold_Toad Well-Known Member

Member:
    $500 for a winch or $150 for a decent rope.

Or instead just have your wife say with the truck and run the winch controls.

Tac0maSteve likes this.
  6. Jan 25, 2018 at 2:49 PM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    It's all about consequences. What is the outcome if something fails? Will a tumble down the hill seriously injure you? If it will, best to use a tested and proven life-safety system/application.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan likes this.
  7. Jan 27, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    Bastek

Bastek Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seb
    SI NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 OR dcsb
    KDMaxP10, plastidip
    First off, sounds like a great scheme to get a new winch :thumbsup:

Now... I was looking into getting x2o winch (if something look into https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/autoanything-group-buys-and-discounts.497320/#post-15427767 for best possible prices), but I think I read or watched people saying something about ~15' range on wireless remote... So it might not suit your specific need

Tac0maSteve likes this.
  8. Jan 27, 2018 at 9:19 AM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    If you decide to use the winch, make sure you always keep tension in the line. If for some reason you fall while there is slack in the line, you could get seriously injured. Winch like doesn’t have enough elasticity to make it safe for catching falls.

Update: I’ve heard stories of ppl breaking their backs and pelvis taking 1’-2’ falls on static rope. Your use case probably wouldn’t be as extreme since it’s not a vertical wall. But the same premise still holds.

Mike O likes this.
  9. Jan 28, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner, 1996 Tacoma
  10. Jan 30, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    Trucko

Trucko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    arb bull bar Smittybulit 9.5 winch topper shell with yakima basket piaa lights toytec boss coilovers Dakar leaf pack with boss shocks 28/75/16 bfg at ko2 Midland CB Home made trailer with CVT Mount Rainer tent and max coupler hitch
    Update: I’ve heard stories of ppl breaking their backs and pelvis taking 1’-2’ falls on static rope. Your use case probably wouldn’t be as extreme since it’s not a vertical wall. But the same premise still holds.[/QUOTE]

very very true statement be safe

jowybyo likes this.
  11. Mar 2, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    SLeeper512

SLeeper512 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DCLB Tacoma white with red topper with tow pkg
    Make sure you have someone there with you for unexpected issues. You don't want to be left hanging on the hill by yourself for an extended period.

Products Discussed in

To Top