1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UPDATE! Long!!! : HELP!!!! STRANDED!!! 2010 Won't Start after stopping for Gas!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kulitxplod, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Apr 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    Actually I've heard something like this. its called vaporlock. it was a problem back in the day and still on some cars now. its when for one reason or another, gas doesnt get sucked into the engine like it should, just vapors. then engine will run fine until it shuts off, but the vapors left in wont be able to start the car. its pretty common in nascar if a car runs out of gas mid-drive. doing a push start or adding ether to the gas usually solves it.

Heres where I heard of it:
    http://www.basicjokes.com/djoke.php?id=260

2. Apr 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    sorry to sort of thread jack..what exactly is under the tab next to the shifter? i'm scared to touch it, don't want my taco to get angry and drive me into a wall :)

3. Apr 5, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    Timber

Timber Crankey Old Yacht Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    just a couple comfort items.
    It is the shift lock release. if your shift lever is stuck for whatever reason just pick that little square cap off. Then push the button under there. you should then be able to move the shift lever thru all the gears.;)

4. Apr 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    "Winter" fuel in warm weather can cause this. I would try a different gas station.

5. Apr 5, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    kulitxplod

kulitxplod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner

It's just amazing...The truck had only 6700 miles when this happened yesterday and again today. I don't expect the truck to be a car, perfect, or perform supernatural acts, but I do expect it to start when I turn the key. The battery is fine, the truck just would not turn over. No click, no sound, nothing.......

6. Apr 5, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    kulitxplod

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner
    I'd encourage anyone concerned to read the updated first post.

7. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    I believe they do, and I am very glad you found them when you really needed them. Had a similar situation happen to a friend while we were out of town. The local dealership bent over backwards to get us fixed and on our way. All he was getting was a one time fix, no repeat customer. They, including the tow truck operator, treated us like gold!! We were just outside of Detroit. Good to hear they cared, and I hope you get satisfaction and your problem resolved.

8. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Glad you made it home... sounds like a great dealer to have service done at.

9. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Glad you found people that wanted to try even if they could not give you an answer right off the bat. Your description sounds like a no crank, not an immobilizer issue. (Same effect, not driving, just a different reason) There are only two main circuits in play there. The neutral safety side and the ignition key output to the starter. One circuit through the neutral/park switch that activates a relay to allow the other output from the other side of the ignition switch to get to the starter. A couple of test meters or two hookups on a graphing meter should show which side is falling down. Then it is just chasing it back up stream. It can be found and fixed. It could be as simple as a loose connection. Best wishes on the repair.

10. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    i came across this thread about a hour after you first posted and have been watching for updates. I'm VERY impressed with the way they dealership guys handled the situation, and the way they treated you and your family. I wish we had those types of people around me. Glad to hear at least things for now are ok.

11. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Please let us know what you find as well. Most of us are prepared for anything but not something like this.

12. Apr 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Glad you and your family got home safe. If this keeps up dude... I would think they would have to give you a new one.. this one sounds like a lemon.

13. Apr 6, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    kulitxplod

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner
    The challenge with a "lemon law" is that it actually has to be fixed I think. Since the dealerships mark the ticket "No problem found." no repair is done, thus no action can be recorded as a problem that has been supposedly corrected multiple times. I'm not sure where this leaves me. This ordeal has put a strain on a already delicate financial situation. I'm just floating through the sky right now wondering what to do.

14. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    This is happened twice to me on my 2010. I thought little of it and on my first oil change I asked the dealer to look at it. They could not replicate the issue so no dice. It happened twice pretty close together and now has not happened in at least 3 months. I figure all is well, but this thread makes me worry. Taking a 14hr trip to Nags Head this summer. Here's to hoping this does not happen again, and wishing you the OP the best resolution.

You are not alone though. Freaking weird.

15. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    this is going to sound like a PIA, but take video EACH time you start the truck. when it doesnt start, just get it on video and show the dealership. Let the tech take it home for a week, if it happens that often, he'll have it happen to him. Make sure you get the milage in and out and the time its there is ADDED to your warranty. i delt with the same issue with my 92 GMC and then again on my 06 GMC Canyon (different issues but still JUNK vehicles). if you get it on video, and it does it again after they fix it, return it...then the third time LEMON LAW IT. They MAY deduct about .25/mile in value though. it doesnt have to be fixed, just NOT fixed 3 times and the delaership has to "find" a problem and repeat it 3 times. sounds like an ECM issue to me, or a BCM....somthin with the key/switch

16. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    kulitxplod

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner
    I called Toyota and made a complaint. Not sure it will do anything, but I also filed a compliant with the NHTSA. If the failure occurs while driving, I will have a whole new set of problems to deal with. I just refuse to drive my family any further with this vehicle, now that I am home and have done more research.

Again, I just don't know that I'm going to fight this battle. I need a reliable vehicle and at this point I can no longer say that about my 2010 Tacoma with only 7K miles on it now.........I call that a FAIL!!! Toyota.

17. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    cjh

cjh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 doublecab
    Good to see you got home OK. I would have called to complain to some one too about my problem. Did you give the dealer props to toyota for what sounds like an awesome attempt at getting you fixed up? It sounds like they went above and beyond what 9999 out of 10000 other dealers would have done. Anyway, I hope it all works out well for you with a diagnosis of the problem and a permanent fix.

18. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    Nikwanchoo

Nikwanchoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    This probably doesn't help and is quite a stretch, but i remember changing out my headunit once and i tried to start the truck without the "hazard light computer/ immobilizer indicator/air bag computer" thingy just above the AC controls and the engine just flat out failed to start. No cranking at all, just silence. Perhaps this module on your truck went dead or some how got disconnected? Im no car expert so i really dont know if this really helps you. You dont happen to have a remote start alarm system that could potentially interfere with the immobilizer in a glitchy do you?

19. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    its too bad that the problem can't be pinpointed but I'm sure everyone would agree that if it was a common occurance Toyota would not have the good reputation they have. (pre- government smear campaign)

It is refreshing to hear that dealerships still offer "service" and support.

I had a similar occurance with my fathers newer style GTO. I would get in, turn the key and it would start but then immediately die.
    we never pinpointed the cause but we suspect that bad fuel was the culprit because it was sitting for so long.

20. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    kulitxplod

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner
    The crazy thing is this, up until the return trip home, nothing like this ever happened. The out of the blue it did what it did.

I have been driving the truck daily, only 40 miles or so one way, then stopping at office, won't get into truck until lunch time. Everything seemed to be OK. Had it experienced any crazy stuff I would have never took it on a 1100 mile trip.

I just downgraded it to a local usage only vehicle..that's the same status my street/strip Mustang used to have. Over 40 miles, I'd find another ride. Problem is that the Mustang was a street/strip racer and not my everyday ride.

And yes, when I called Toyota, I made sure to name the dealership by name, state, location, and include every person's name that I encountered.

Products Discussed in

To Top