1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

[Update] Wheeler's brake lines, is this a problem?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nixinus, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Sep 28, 2018 at 12:36 AM
    Nixinus

Nixinus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Got from and rear brake lines from Wheelers off road. The rear has 2 different fittings, driver's side has 1 notch and passenger get side has 2. Fitment was a little off but I managed to get the clips in. I'm concerned that the driver's side fitting is shorter than the passenger get side and the metal brake line coming from the front doesn't screw in as deep as the one in the passenger side. It feels like it seats well but I haven't bled the system yet to check for leaks.

Anyone notice this on their wheelers extended lines? Fittings we're hand tightened with the mounting brackets loose which makes me pretty sure it's not cross threaded.

@Wheeler's Off-Road Inc can you chime in if you have any information too?

Thanks guys, always appreciate the feedback.

IMG_20180928_011710.jpg

[Update]

After @Wheeler's Off-Road Inc responded I figured I was good to go. I finished up installing the front (much easier) and bled the system. Since I have a Sport 4x4 and I was by myself I opted for the vacuum bleeder. I followed a guide online that recommended covering the threads of the bleeder in some thick grease. I applied a vacuum then cracked the bleeders open. It was clear that I was getting air from the line but also from around the vacuum seal and bleeder threads. I kept the pressure above 5 mmhg to always have a vacuum and had no issues at all. Went through 2 bottles of Toyota OEM fluid.

After the bleed the pedal didn't feel much different. Since the brake system is only as good as it's weakest link, I checked the rotors, pads and drums. The front rotors we're recently replaced with cryo rotors and pads so I focused on the rear. When I spun the drum I noticed it would snag at about the same spot every rotation. At 85k miles I figured it was time to resurface the drums. An hour and $30 later and I had freshly resurfaced drums.

I cleaned the shoes and drum assembly with brake cleaner. I sanded the shoes with some 120 grit paper and beveled down the perimeter of the shoes surface. Make sure to add synthetic brake grease to the contact points of the shoes on the piston and backing plate. Reassembled and pumped the parking brake a few times to reset the shoes. Took it for a test drive and it feels solid. Summary of my experience is check your rear drums if you notice spongy or soft brakes and you ruled out air in your system. I am very pleased with how the job turned out.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. Sep 28, 2018 at 2:18 AM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    If they tightened up and are not leaking, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Just keep an eye on it for a week or so.

3. Sep 28, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    genericTiger

genericTiger Active Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Having read and then viewed the photo, what am I looking at? I'm planning on picking up the same brake lines, I can't see what you're talking about though really. :confused:

4. Sep 28, 2018 at 6:30 AM
    Rujack

Rujack Stop Global Whining

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed manual
    I think he’s talking about where the new line threads onto the male threads of the hard line fitting. The bottom one in the pic appears to not be threaded on as far.

5. Sep 28, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    Wheeler's Off-Road Inc

Wheeler's Off-Road Inc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    It looks like you got it. Just check for any leaks. But you should be good to go.
    The bracket itself has two different style holes in it. Which requires two different fittings. You basically just figure which side is which, plug, and play. :thumbsup:

IMG_0071.jpg

Naveronski, Grumpy and ChadsPride like this.
  6. Sep 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    As @Rujack said, the 'male ends' from the stock metal lines thread into the the extended brake lines. In that picture, the topmost line (which is passenger side) threads in further than the one on the bottom (driver side). I wasn't sure of it since it felt like I only got 3-4 turns until it seated. Stock lines seated much deeper and got almost the full tread depth.

7. Sep 28, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    Wheeler's Off-Road Inc

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    Ah gotcha. yes, the fitting there is smaller but still seats well and should not leak one bit due to the rubber bushing inside seating the actual inner line. :thumbsup:

8. Sep 28, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    I didn't match up holes but followed the two pieces of instructions that came with the kit. Both said to use the '2 notched' fitting on the passenger get side and the '1 notched' fitting on the driver side. I think they are oriented correctly. My concern is if there is enough bite from just 3-4 threads on the driver's side fitting since stock uses quite a bit more. If this is normal and people run this without issue then I'll just watch it for a bit. It already blows my mind that even the stock lines can handle that much pressure to stop that much weight. My naivete in braking systems makes me question a fitting that screws in with fewer than stock threads.

I would normally just make sure it's tight and be done with it. I am planning a multi State road trip soon so I would like to find any issues sooner rather than later. I'm taking the whole family in the truck and don't want to worry about brake while we are gone.

9. Sep 28, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    Nixinus

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    You posted this while I was typing my other reaponse. I'll just make sure it's snug and test it out. Thanks.

10. Sep 28, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    Wheeler's Off-Road Inc

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    No worries at all! Tested and proven. There is enough bite there for the bushing to properly seal and transfer the brake fluid. :thumbsup:

11. Sep 28, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    genericTiger

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    I supposed I should ask why one is indeed shorter? Why is that in the design as oppose to equal sized fittings? Curious, thanks.

12. Sep 28, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    Wheeler's Off-Road Inc

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    Great question: Just something the manufacturer deemed best due to the matching fitting having a deeper inset and having leaking issues by bottoming out the male oem piece equaling too many threads. So they went the slightly shorter route ensure fit and seal.

genericTiger[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Sep 28, 2018 at 2:00 PM
    genericTiger

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Thanks for the info Wheeler's, now let's get going on them holiday sales. :rofl:

14. Sep 28, 2018 at 2:46 PM
    Wheeler's Off-Road Inc

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    The Thanksgiving sale is approaching. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top