1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UPDATE 12/27/23: Compass Temp Homelink Mirrors for 2009-2015 Tacomas & more

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by RJP869, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Mar 16, 2015 at 6:54 AM
    RJP869

RJP869 [OP] Owner of Bob's Automotive Mirrors & More LLC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Three Oaks, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I don't have a Tacoma, but lots of mirrors!
    UPDATE 12/27/23 - YES, THESE ARE STILL AVAILABLE!

Hey all,

Figured I would update this thread as it's been awhile...just wanted to let everyone know we still have the used Gentex compass/temp/Homelink® mirrors available for the 2009-2015 Tacoma's. Though these are used mirrors, as anyone who has purchased a used mirror from us can attest, they won't look "used". We've sold thousands of mirrors over the years both new and used, and the vast majority of our used mirrors could pass for new ones, as we make it a point to only sell ones that are in fantastic shape. Sadly I must report that the brand new Gentex autodim compass temp mirrors with Homelink® V4 are no longer available - for whatever reason, these have been discontinued! We will work on trying to locate good used ones with V4; however, being that the OEM applications for these was very, very limited, they are going to be very difficult to find in large quantities, so availability is going to be touchy at best. This only applies to the newer version with Homelink® V4...the previous generation mirrors with Homelink® V3 have excellent availability, so there shouldn't be any issues with these for many years to come.

Previously we had two styles available - the earlier generation GNTX-313 series of mirror and the later generation GNTX-453 series. At this point, we are no longer offering the 313 series as availability of the 453 series has improved greatly, plus the 453 also doesn't have the issue with the buttons peeling & flaking, so we decided to stop offering the older mirrors.

Kits include a mirror, our custom Tacoma harness that connects to the 14 pin connector above the overhead console, temp sensor & associated wiring, and installation hardware.

Cost on the kits with used mirrors are now $249 for the GNTX-453 version including shipping within the U.S. (plus 6% sales tax if you are in Michigan; plus $30 additional shipping if you are in Canada). The used mirrors are all in very nice shape (usually look pretty darn close to a new one!) & come with a 1 year warranty.

One important detail to note: the used mirrors are only available with Homelink® version 3. What does this mean? If your opener has a yellow antenna & yellow learn button, you'll have to purchase a repeater in order to use the mirror with your opener. These repeaters are widely available online for around $25 or so.

And for those of you replacing the OEM compass Homelink® mirrors, please note that the compass temp Homelink® mirror display is only available in light blueish-greenish color as per the picture, and the buttons on these mirrors are not backlit (sorry, but Gentex never made the compass temp Homelink® mirrors with backlit buttons!).

If you wish to order one, as in the past, please email us directly at info@bobsmirrors.com instead of PM'ing me here. I can access my emails frequently, but I cannot get on the forum as much as I would like. Or you can text me at 219-575-9220, but more than likely I'll text you back telling you to email me, lol!

Thank you & have a blessed day!!
    Bob Prim
    Bob's Automotive Mirrors & More LLC
    www.bobsmirrors.com <---At long last, our new site is finally live! Please check it out when you have a moment & you can also set up an account to be made aware of specials, discounts & new product announcements (please be assured we will not spam you or sell your information to anyone – ever!).
    http://stores.ebay.com/BobsAutomotiveMirrorsAndMore (you can see what we have available in our ebay store, but don't purchase there...instead, check out our website or contact us directly...much better pricing that way!!) <---Like us!
    twitter.com/Bobs_Mirrors <---Follow us!
    GNTX-453 AUTODIM COMPASS TEMP HOMELINK.jpg
    TACOMA COMPASS TEMP HOMELINK WIRING KIT.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Mar 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM
    Square

Square Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4WD MGM
    So, the only difference between the GENK51A and the GNTX-453 is that the 453 doesn't auto-dim? And it's used.

3. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:32 PM
    RJP869

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Three Oaks, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    To clarify, ALL of the homelink mirrors we sell are autodimming.

The GNTX-453 is a "series" or "style" of mirror. Part number GENK50A and GENK51A are Mito Corporation's part numbers, not Gentex's part numbers. In with Mito's GENK50A and GENK51A kits you would have received a GNTX-453 autodim compass temp Homelink mirror.

jpfunk21 likes this.
  4. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    Square

Square Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4WD MGM
    Same style mirros, just different manufacture?

5. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM
    RJP869

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Three Oaks, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    No, they both made by Gentex.

6. Mar 16, 2015 at 2:27 PM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    If we had already purchased a 453 would you be willing to sell the contents of your kit without the mirror? If so what would be the cost? I have a 14' TRD Sport, I imagine your kit would work for that?

7. Mar 16, 2015 at 3:02 PM
    RJP869

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Three Oaks, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Yes - see the original message & email me directly to order (all the info is in the original message).

8. Mar 18, 2015 at 8:24 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    Does this come with mounting hardware and the black bracket cover that meets the mirror and headliner?

9. Mar 19, 2015 at 5:55 AM
    RJP869

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Three Oaks, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Hi - not sure what you mean about mounting hardware? Mirror has a stem & bracket that is part of the mirror assembly that slips over the windshield mount & then you tighten the set screw on the bracket to secure it to the windshield mount.

And for the other item, I'm guessing you're referring to the black plastic wire cover that goes between the mirror mount and headliner? If so, yes this is also included.

10. Mar 19, 2015 at 8:13 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    Perfect. I'll be ordering shortly. Thanks!

11. Mar 26, 2015 at 6:31 AM
    RJP869

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Three Oaks, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Hi - the prices we offer to TW forum members are lower than what we sell on ebay, so I'm not sure what you may be referring to. For example we have some homelink mirrors that sell for around $160-165 or so on ebay with shipping whereas the same here are $145.

Which mirror are you looking for? Compass/temp or compass/temp/Homelink?

12. Mar 27, 2015 at 8:07 AM
    RJP869

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Three Oaks, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Found that listing on ebay (not ours, BTW)...I know those mirrors all too well, those are the Chinese import knock-off mirrors that they dump off in California & then sell for dirt cheap. Seller say they "fit" Toyota's and others, but they don't include any custom wiring or anything like that, and if they last more than a year you'll be lucky. Whereas the mirrors we sell are primarily made by Gentex (OEM supplier to just about all of the carmakers big and small)...with us having been dealing in mirrors for 15+ years now, I can tell you that there is an extremely good chance that a mirror we sold in 1999 is still working properly to this day. The Gentex product line is extremely rock solid and reliable (which, if you had the factory autodim compass temp backup camera mirror in your 2013, it was made by Gentex). Hope this helps clarify things a bit.

13. May 5, 2015 at 5:32 PM
    dooododoo

dooododoo Active Member

Member:
    Northbrook, IL
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    I just bought a '15 and want compass and Homelink features. My overhead harness has a green, red, and white with black stripe wires.

Would I have to do additional wiring to get the compass and Homelink working?

Please advise.

image.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  14. May 20, 2015 at 1:54 PM
    TacomaDarth

TacomaDarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road in it's infancy
    C-Clamp Theft Deterrent System (with bonus heat shrink protection), FJ Trail Team Wheels with Duratracs, WeatherTechs. TRD Exhaust, Access Limited Tonneau Cover, Rear Diff Mod to Taillight
    Just installed my Gentex mirror from Bob and it works great and looks new. Extremely happy with my purchase. Well worth it!!

15. May 20, 2015 at 2:05 PM
    09 Redneck

09 Redneck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
  16. May 21, 2015 at 9:03 PM
    AfrknMgk

AfrknMgk Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler Westin Chrome Bull Bar KC Spotlights Gentex-453 Thermometer/Compass/Homelink Mirror
    For anyone who has done this install, is the new temperature sensor and additional wiring necessary? The reason I ask is because I know I have the 14-pin connector above my overhead console, and I am able to see the temperature sensor in front of my radiator (unless this is a "dummy" sensor???). It appears all of the necessary hardware and wiring is in place, but I could be wrong.

Please advise.

17. May 21, 2015 at 9:21 PM
    Square

Square Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4WD MGM
    From what I remember, the temp. sensor you are seeing is used for something else on the vehicle. Also, your 14-pin connector should only have two wires coming out of it. If it has more than two wires, you might have lucked into something.

AfrknMgk likes this.
  18. May 22, 2015 at 5:58 AM
    TacomaDarth

TacomaDarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road in it's infancy
    C-Clamp Theft Deterrent System (with bonus heat shrink protection), FJ Trail Team Wheels with Duratracs, WeatherTechs. TRD Exhaust, Access Limited Tonneau Cover, Rear Diff Mod to Taillight
    I have a 2015 DCSB Off Road that had the three wires. Not sure if there is a rhyme or reason for mine having three wires and others having less. Only thing I can figure is the TRD's maybe have three wires since they are closer in trim levels to the Limited which includes the homelink mirror? And yes there is wiring to be done with the temp sensor. It's not a bad install but mind the clips in the overhead console and don't try to get your wires through the large bundle of wires at the firewall. Use the blank plug above it. Trust me, it'll save you some cuss words and time.

Bud1 and AfrknMgk like this.
  19. May 22, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    _gray_knight_

_gray_knight_ Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '18 Mall Crawler
    Just washed
    I have a 2011 DC Sport and interested in the 453 Series Model. Will this work in for my MMY; straight up pull and play, no extra work beside swapping mirror and plugging things up?

20. May 26, 2015 at 8:09 PM
    AfrknMgk

AfrknMgk Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler Westin Chrome Bull Bar KC Spotlights Gentex-453 Thermometer/Compass/Homelink Mirror
    So I looked into this a little further this evening, and found a few more things. I looked closer at what appears to be a temperature sensor on the center beam, in front of my radiator (directly behind the Toyota emblem on the front), and found a part number (077500-5191). I researched this part number, and anything I can find is listing this as an "outdoor temperature sensor". I also took a second look at the connector above my overhead console, and discovered there are three wires leading to the connector. I put a multi-meter on these wires, checking for both voltage and resistance. Two of the wires have 12 volts running through them, and the third one does not. I also notice this third wire, which lacks voltage, is the only one with resistance.

TacomaDarth, when you did the install on your 2015 did you run into this, what looks like, temperature sensor?

Products Discussed in

To Top