1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade 5 lugger or trade for 4x4?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jspadaro, Jul 28, 2009.

?

What should I do about my 5lug?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2009.
  1. Deal with it, you poser idiot.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lift a 5 lug, why not.

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Just get the 4x4 already.

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Moved to alabama, wanted to save money, bought an 09 5 lug access cab 4cyl manual.

Love everything about the truck except the ride height and lawnmower wheels. :( I figured i wouldn't need 4wd down south, and I don't, but the huge body and tiny wheels are starting to bother me more and more.

At first I thought I'd just lift it and put on 245/75R16's, but I don't want to do spacers, so if I were going to do it, I'd at least get the SAW 2.5" coilovers up front and 2.0 / add-a-pack in back, and maybe even get the total chaos 5 lug u.c.a's to go with them.

I'm realizing now that this is going to cost a ton of money, it looks like the coilovers are like $800, ucas are about $650, rear shocks are around $400, and leaf packs are $100-$200. 5 wheels + tires will probably be in the $1000 to $1500 range, so we're talking like $3000 to $3500 in parts, and probably another $500 for install! :(

I'm realizing maybe I should just scrap the whole thing and trade up to a 4x4, even though 4 cylinder 4x4 manual's are hard to find around here. I know I'll lose a bunch on the trade - I paid 20 for the truck new in January, no idea what I could get a pretty rare setup like that for, but then I'd be happy with the height and wheels/tires so would probably leave it alone.

What would y'all do: Just deal with it, lift and so forth on current truck, or screw it and trade up to a 4x4?

2. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    SRQ TACO

SRQ TACO "You've Got Red on You"

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    00 RegularCab 5lug
    16'' 5zigen Streetfighters w/ 245/55R16 General Altimax HP's, K&N Filter w/ deckplate mod, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler with turndown before the axle, 01-04 Tail lights tinted, Dual BMW M3 horns, JVC Headunit, JVC 6.5'' door Speakers, Pioneer Shallow Mount 1000W 12'' Sub, 1000W Amp, Monroe Gasmatics front and rear, 1.5'' Daystar Coil Spacer, JDM Smoked Headlights/Corners,2001 Bench Seat, Led swapped gauge cluster and AC controls, Ignition Light mod with blue led, OEM All weather Floor Mats, LED Dome Light, 6000K DDM Tuning HID's, Street Scene Grille and Valance inserts, Clear bumper lights with the fog light mod and JDM Yellow led's, Window Tint: 25% sides and 5% back, TRD Blue Oil Cap.
    I think that you can fit 30's on there stock if I remember correctly. IMO id get a 2.5'' spacer lift and a AAL and get it up!

3. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I'm trying to avoid spacers though, as pre-load spacers are supposed to ride like wagon wheels and I've seen pictures of what non-preload spacer use does to your ball joints. :(

4. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    thats what she said.......o wait thats not something to brag about...:eek:

5. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 2WD
    Clazzio Seat Covers Extang Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau Cover TRD Skid Plate Side Steps 43% Front Tint Pop and Lock TRD Exhaust
    get some X-Runner wheels, if you look around you can get a good deal on them, I know a few have got them pretty cheap, it makes a huge difference in the look of the truck. The biggest detail is that these wheel sit flush with the fender, stock 5-lug wheel sit inside the wheel well making them look more wimpy, so the stance of the truck changes. Im using 235/55/18 tires in mine and the truck sits a bit higher.

Mine:
    Before
    http://nitropr.net/misc/tacoma/IMG_2989.JPG

After
    http://nitropr.net/misc/tacoma/IMG_3149%20%28Large%29.JPG

6. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Definitely x-runner wheels look better, but I'm really not into the low-slung truck look. No idea what I was thinking 6 months ago.

7. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 2WD
    Clazzio Seat Covers Extang Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau Cover TRD Skid Plate Side Steps 43% Front Tint Pop and Lock TRD Exhaust
    Then I guess you should trade it for a 4x4 or a pre runner

8. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Long-travel that thing and turn it into an offroad beast. I spent near $6000 to convert to a spring-under rear suspension. Yours is already set up like that so you'll save huge on labor. Embrace it, drop in a rear locker, and turn it into a sick offroad runner! :)

9. Jul 28, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    A 2wd offroad beast? My understanding is the only way I can LT it is with the TC LT kit, which is $2800 for just the ucas, lcas, etc + coilovers + rear shocks + rear leaf springs which is gonna be uh hella expensive, right? I mean that would be sweet, but I'd most likely just go with regular suspension improvements and be done with it before that.

10. Jul 28, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma standard cab
    15% tinted back window, 25% on sides. Jardine catback exhaust system. horn modification, AFE pro dry S filter and secondary filter removed. All weather toyota tacoma mats.
    well, heres the thing, if you wheel it, which from it sounds like you dont, i would keep it as is and buy some more stout tires on it and a 3 inch lift so you could put bigger tires on it. take a look at EPa4wd's gallery. hes got lots of compiled pics of lifted 5 luggers.

11. Jul 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Nope, the use it gets is mainly getting to hiking, biking, hunting, boating, etc sites, which can involve really crappy or non-existant roads, but no real wheeling. The extra suspension travel and tire size would be nice in that situation though, but its mainly for looks and I do not need the 4wd at all.

I'm just finding that lifting it properly - doing coilovers as opposed to spacers - is going to cost me an arm and a leg, apparently! But I'm leaning more towards this idea as i realize how reamed i'd get on a trade-in.

12. Jul 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma standard cab
    15% tinted back window, 25% on sides. Jardine catback exhaust system. horn modification, AFE pro dry S filter and secondary filter removed. All weather toyota tacoma mats.
    well, i hope you find what you need. i was always looking at the readylift kits, but guys tell me that they are very bad on ball joints. but my situation is much like yours. i wouldnt be lifting to wheel, just for looks. if you find a soultion that suits you, id be interested to know what it might be.

13. Jul 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yeah, If I lift, I'm going to spring for a lift that actually improves performance and handling. I've seen what a spacer does to a ball joint, and it ain't pretty, wish I could find the link now.

If I go all the way with the TC UCAs, coilovers, rear shocks and leaf springs, yeah it'd cost me a bundle but i should get a pretty awesome amount of travel out of it.

14. Jul 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    What i would do is take your truck and do a mid travel kit, it will give it a nice look and wont break the bank as much as a longtravel kit would (thats what im saving for) and that way you can use you 2 wheel drive as a prerunner

15. Jul 28, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4cly
    Dule Magnaflow Exhaust dumped behind axle, K&N Air intake, Aftermarket radio with a kicker L5 sub & a shit amp, 18" rims with tires, RHLM, DT header, color matched bumper, oem foglights, 8k hids in headlights and in fogs
    hey man i know how you feel with the stock set up. i wanted a 4x4 but my dad bought the base 2wd for me so i had to deal with it. I got some used A/T tires from my buddy that were 30/9.5-15 and they fit fine and gave me a little tougher look. but i decided to switch the look on the taco so now i have 255/55-18's now wich are about 30's and fit fine stock. i have a few pictures on my profile if you wana check them out and get an idea. hope whatever you do your happy with!

16. Jul 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    it will work out i dont think you will have any problems

17. Jul 29, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Yeah, done right you'll be looking at about $15k-$20k in suspension + fabrication to fit the shocks. :eek: Most of the desert guys run locked 2wd rigs.

I wasn't saying it'd be cheap. I was just looking to spend someone else's money for a change. ;)

18. Jul 29, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Hah, well, I'm realizing I'd probably get $15-16k on a truck I paid $20k for, and then a 4 cyl 4x4 would probably be in the $23k-$25k vicinity, so I'm looking at essentially paying between $7k and $10k for a 4wd upgrade! Yikes.

Looking at it that way, getting some new UCA's, coilovers, rear shocks, leaf springs, and tires for probably 3-4 OTD doesn't seem so bad. Now I just need to find the relevant shocks to go with this: http://www.chaosfab.com/88500.html

Those SAW part numbers only seem to exist on the total chaos website, and nowhere else.

19. Jul 29, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Did you have any luck finding info on the SAW's

20. Jul 29, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    c2thegreat

c2thegreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ol' Virginny
    Vehicle:
    09 4 banger
    Readylift sst,31in. mts,TRD sport bilstein rear shocks,new head unit,bedlined tool box,fishing rack,35% tint,fogs
    I definately wouldn't trade it in. You would lose way too much money especially if you payed 20. I think you overpaid on a base model mine was 16 out the door. I was thinking about the readylift kit too. I've heard that spacer lifts can tear up ball joints but I have also heard that if you don't exceed 3 inches youre fine.

To Top