1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade to 265/70/17, spare tire question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by STLTaco09, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 at 6:28 AM
    STLTaco09

STLTaco09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's all around, fronts at 1.75". TSB leaf pack + Toytec TSB AAL
    Considering the stock tire size is 265/65/17 and my new tires will be 265/70/17, I'll have to get a new spare tire. Is it necessary to get the same tire for the spare that I'm putting on the other 4 wheels? Or can I get something of the same size in a different (and probably cheaper) brand that will serve as the spare.

My main concern is that 2 different tires (i.e. BFG A/T KOs vs Destination A/T) with 265/70/17 measurements might not be exactly the same diameter. I realize this is just how things are, but I dont know if having a different spare will potentially damage things should I ever need to put it on.

Thanks for any input.

2. Jun 4, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    It shouldnt be an issue, as long as you dont drive on the spare more than you have to. In my old car the spare was a little shorter than the rest, and thats what the tire place explianed to me.
    Worst case, get a used tire for your spare thats comparable in size if you dont want to go that route.

3. Jun 4, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    STLTaco09

Member:
    Well I'll be getting a new spare with the same tire specs (265/70/17) opposed to using the factor 265/65/17 spare. But the only thing I was concerned about is the overall measurements differences between different tire brand/models that are in the same tire size category.

4. Jun 4, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    gunner_20

gunner_20 .....

Member:
    Nixa, MO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCLB Sport 4x4
    i agree... Look for a used tire that is in good shape for the spare and same size as the new. Save some cash.

Even if you had to use the spare, you arent going to be putting a ton of miles on it before you get the good tire replaced.

What brand you going with? Where you getting them?

5. Jun 4, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    STLTaco09

Member:
    I'm looking pretty hard at the GoodYear Wrangler Dura Tracs, getting the from a local Firestone shop. I've given them a lot of my business in the past and they are giving me a pretty good deal. They're one Firestone shop I actually somewhat trust (key word being somewhat).

My only hesitation about the Dura Tracs is what kind of wear I'll get out of them. Hopefully they won't be gone in 20,000 miles. My other option was the BFG A/T KO, but I like the look of the Dura Tracs much better.

Products Discussed in

To Top