1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgraded Transmission Cooler?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hazard2600, May 14, 2023.

1. May 14, 2023 at 6:41 AM
    hazard2600

hazard2600 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Watertown, TN
    Vehicle:
    2009 White 4x4 SR5 TRD Sport LBDC V6
    3" ProComp sus lift 2" Roger Brown body lift 33" BFGs ko2s 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers Custom rock sliders Seat covers USB ports OBD2 computer monitor
    Some may have seen my post that I'm considering getting a camper to haul with my '09 dclb v6 4x4. I saw one youtube video where he installed an upgraded cooler and it significantly reduced the temp (180 - 120).

Has anyone installed one? I think he installed this one. I'd assume all I'd need to do is move the inlet on the main one to the upgraded one and the outlet from the upgraded one to the inlet of the stock cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MM...t=&hvlocphy=9013144&hvtargid=pla-549477062290

2. May 14, 2023 at 8:09 AM
    deanosaurus

deanosaurus Caveman

Member:
    Northeast Region
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR AC
    I would replace the factory cooler with a single, larger unit. Less plumbing to leak. I did so recently as part of a major cooling system overhaul (replaced all the factory lines etc. with stainless braided hose and aluminum AN fittings at the trans) and replaced the factory cooler with a much larger Hayden unit, although you don't have to go quite that far if your factory lines are still in good shape.

I was looking at Mishi coolers and don't have anything bad to say about them necessarily, but the Hayden is designed to partially bypass the trans fluid below operating temps, which is a huge plus if you live in places where it gets very cold - helps get up to temp faster.

Relevant posts here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/new-england-b-s-thread.204874/page-9533#post-27726660 , here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/new-england-b-s-thread.204874/page-9533#post-27728296 , and here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/new-england-b-s-thread.204874/page-9533#post-27732731

2015WhiteOR and Rob MacRuger like this.
  3. May 15, 2023 at 3:12 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Years ago, I installed a dedicated automatic transmission cooler. Disconnected and no longer use the oem trans cooler in the radiator or the optional towing package trans cooler for transmission fluid cooling.

Radiator cooler is capped off.
    Oem optional trans cooler became a power steering fluid cooler.

I isolated each so there was no chance of having a radiator failure pollute the transmission fluid.

Rob MacRuger likes this.
  4. May 15, 2023 at 11:58 AM
    Stemmy

Stemmy Certified Wombat Rancher

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite Mica DCLB
  5. May 15, 2023 at 3:37 PM
    BlkDakDave

BlkDakDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    07 AC PreRunner TRD/Off Road
    gearcruncher likes this.
  6. May 15, 2023 at 4:58 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    I ran a b&m take off cooler. It had a fan with a thermostat controlled switch. Did the atf flush & filter at the same time, a mistake. Apparently the clutch packs were badly worn so the clutch material in the fluid is what was making it not slip. Contemplated my options, went ahead with the rebuild. The next day I rear ended a new Mercedes in the rain. The end of me in a vehicle without abs.

7. May 29, 2023 at 6:07 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I installed this cooler 8 months ago, it doesnt really do a decent job in keeping trans temps down when compared to the factory cooler. Which is why Im here, searching for a better cooler which is going to be B&M style. I monitor my temps with a Bluetooth App and aftermarket trans temp fluid gauge. My Mishimoto Radiator and C7 Corvette/Camero Electric Fan combo does a superior job with keeping the coolant system stable when its slow going up a trail at altitude or in high outside temps. I wish tue Mishimoto Trans Cooler could do the same.

Here's the install info with pics https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/monkeyproofs-misadventures.697489/page-7#post-27835139

Heres a pic from a recent trip to Death Valley, notice the Coolant Temp on the Bottom and Trans Temp at the top. Outside temp was 90-ish going up a long incline with tires aired down. This recent trip that had me decided to find a better cooler.
    20230514_102416.jpg

8. May 30, 2023 at 5:05 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    There was a recent thread where the dude simply moved the oem cooler upwards about six inches and had hard data showing cooler ATF temps. Moving it up puts it in more direct line of airflow.

To Top