1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrading the backup camera

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by DrDinglelingus, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Jul 13, 2023 at 10:00 AM
    cowfootball

cowfootball Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR
    I've upgraded the head unit to a WC6600NEX and after going through that process I'm reasonably confident that a camera upgrade just isn't a feasible possibility. The inputs to the head units available -- including the best available on the market the 6600NEX that runs >$1k -- are all RCA leaving you with a limited line based resolution. I'm unaware of any HU on the market that would take e.g., USB, HDMI cameras in and integrate them into the HU. The available cameras on the market that are RCA compatible are all very slight variations of the same thing with very little quality difference.

I pulled the rear parking camera off my Volvo XC60 just to see if it was RCA, because the quality is a worlds apart, and it's a 4 pin connector that's probably just USB.

I would love to be told I'm wrong but that was the result of a couple of hours of research on my behalf.

EDIT: also all the boomers proud of avoiding technology can avoid technology their way out of this thread

2. Jul 13, 2023 at 10:08 AM
    clip

clip Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    15 OR
    pinstripes. lots of pinstripes.

Products Discussed in

To Top