1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upland Hunting, Bird Dog and Shotgun BS Thread

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Jh5370, May 11, 2018.

1. Dec 17, 2018 at 9:11 PM
    Johnny DemonT

Johnny DemonT Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Burbs of Chicago
    Vehicle:
    15 Silver DCLB
    26916E05-5C2C-4DE0-BF17-E62096E26FA0.jpg

Got out twice this week. Sunday we had a dense fog and frost in the AM and I snapped this pic of my dad and gsp Frankie hunting in one of my favorite spots. I love the shots we get in that marshy cover mixed with the trees! Both days were great but we worked hard for our birds.

BlueHighways27 and a_hol like this.
  2. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:44 PM
    RickS

RickS New Old Stock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    DFW'ish, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSB TRD-OR
    Bobbles and trinkets
    Got a question for those of you that are shooting feathered game or the clay type. Does anyone use ported chokes? Just wondering if there's a notable advantage to them.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:51 PM
    squeaky

squeaky Well-Known Member

Member:
    My understanding is that some believe they provide better patterns because they strip the wad from the shot string sooner. This claim is widely debatable from what I’ve gathered. I’m not a huge clays shooter but shoot plenty if birds. I think there’s a reason game guns never come with ported chokes.

RickS likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2019 at 9:12 PM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
    They are a fad. They just make more noise. If you have them, then use them. I wouldn’t pay any extra for them or replace chokes I have to get them.

Cold Iron and RickS like this.
  5. Jan 9, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    a_hol

a_hol Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCLB
    Just picked up my first bird dog! Traveled 3,400 miles to get her. She’s a tollerB1FC63E8-5927-4406-8AF3-CC2E9D916644.jpgAD2EF1A0-13DA-46D8-B1B8-57AFC2B6F6F9.jpg1BA86D6B-D640-4061-A7AD-77A11835A3F3.jpg

6. Jan 10, 2019 at 2:55 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    None. Not a fan of ported tubes or barrels at all. They will however piss off everyone in a duck blind in short order. At least they do me.

Congrats and great looking pup! Hang on to your hat the ride has just started to begin :D Which kennel is she out of? The black nosed Toller in my avatar sitting in an empty 12 lb. keg of Red Dot powder was out of Cayuga. A long time ago. The pink nosed 4 year old I have now is from Skylark. Duck dog as an upland hunter?! Hells yes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AxisCab, Johnny DemonT and RickS like this.
  7. Jan 10, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    a_hol

a_hol Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCLB
    Thanks! Looks like you have some beautiful dogs yourself. Been around bird dogs for most of my life just never a toller, but I’m up for the challenge. She’s out of an area not far from Chicago. Definitely looking forward to what the future has in store.

And yes, a duck dog that will be working a lot of upland game. shes already been responding well to a quail wing in the backyard. We will have the occasional waterfowl hunt just to get her feet wet though. In fact it’ll probably get me back into doing duck and geese hunts more frequently.

How long have you raised tollers?

Cold Iron likes this.
  8. Jan 11, 2019 at 5:43 AM
    SilverTacomaGuy

SilverTacomaGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFF-ROAD
    Little tree air fresheners. Clazzio black leather seat covers.
    They just look better to some.... I shoot a Benelli Performance Shop Cordoba which has a ported barrel. I can't say if the ported barrel helps at all. It looks good and she is LOUD. I now wear the electronic ear plugs when I hunt. Just get a good extended choke tube and don't look back.
    I do a lot of waterfowl and upland along with some clay killing here and there. I can say duck hunting my d aqa da not a fan of my Cordoba if he's within a few feet.

20180527_122851.jpg

Johnny DemonT and RickS like this.
  9. Jan 11, 2019 at 8:31 AM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Yeah I only waterfowl hunt when get drawn for it in SD. Can't hunt pheasants until 10 AM there so it fills in the morning time slot. Of course throw ducks for him during the warmer months and ice out to make sure he has a job to do. Been around the breed for almost 30 years now, mainly ruff grouse and pheasant. Had a feeling you picked her up some where in the Upper Midwest. Go back on her lines far enough you will most likely see Vermilion. Jamie and Kathy Como at Vermilion gave many of the breeders here a start, and there are more Toller breeders here than anywhere else in the Country. Jamie passed away a couple of years ago he was a heck of a guy. Spent more than a few hours throwing dead ducks with him in a pit for hunt tests and training. They wintered in Texas and I know a few breeders down there also. Dan Rode is the president of the NSDTR(USA) now and know him well. At the National Specialty 3 years ago in Wi. he showed my guy for me. I'm really not into the show thing at all but it does help maintain breed standards.

[​IMG]

Your going to have fun :cool:

Johnny DemonT likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top