1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upper Control Arm hitting spring

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MikeRTaco, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Oct 25, 2016 at 6:33 AM
    MikeRTaco

MikeRTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Rancho quick lift Tuff Country UCA's K&N Intake
    Hi all, long time reader first time thread creator. I have an 07 Taco and recently upgraded my suspension to the Rancho Quicklift and a half inch spacer giving me about 3 inches total lift. My alignment was a little off so I decided to install Tuff Country UCA's which claim are specifically for Taco's with a 2-4 inch lift. Now, when u go over a speed bump the UCA hits the spring when fully extended. Any ideas on how to fix this?

20161022_073243.jpg
    20161022_073233.jpg

2. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:14 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Ditch the spacer and dial it back an inch and use the stock UCA if that one still doesn't work. Not many issues with alignment or UCA's if you stick to 2-2.5"

3. Oct 28, 2016 at 6:19 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr Toyotaless - For now

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Ringgold, Ga/Chattanooga, Tn
    Vehicle:
    2020 Quicksand Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4 Manual
    A few with more coming
    Sorry for the quote with nothing in it, phone messed up. I will tell you this give us a side shot of the installation, the reason I say this is I have seen this before when the control arms were installed on the wrong sides!!!!

It's actually fairly easy to do and it pushes the tire further forward instead of further back and the design is offset, so if you have on the wrong sides it pushes it further forward and you get this interference. If you switch them around will make a world of diffeeence in driving and clearance!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Crikeymike likes this.
  4. Oct 28, 2016 at 6:41 AM
    Just Dandee

Just Dandee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Southwest Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    Supercharged-2.5 lift-255/85/16
    Just commenting on what you have because there is a better way to get to that lift level. Look at my link for a spacer lift that I did. To expand on what has already been said-consensus is that at about 2.5 everything works at 3" you may need a-arms. I did a quick look at the Rancho lift and it looks like you get a 2.5" with it. A 1/2" spacer on the top plate gives you about 1" of suspension lift so you are at 3.5". That is pretty deep in the suspension arc of the factory mounting points. With the lower connection point and factory arm it is most likely still pulling that upper A-arm in. As mentioned you could pull out the spacer or step that spacer down to a 1/4" maybe... It seems from the advertising that should have worked for you maybe its misrepresented or there is something that can be done with the lower.

Edit: another fix is to put limiting straps on the front so it can not fully extend. Again not optimum but working with what you have that could be an option.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  5. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    MikeRTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Thank you all for the responses. I plan to remove the spacer this weekend and see if that works. I'll let you all know how it goes.

6. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    bahndrvr

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    A few with more coming
    Try to get a side shot before hand as you may just need to switch sides of your upper control arms - I have seen hit happy more than once that's why I mention it. It's also why upper control arms have failed, very few fail when installed the correct way, there are many individuals running the same lift you have that don't have this issue - it would be better to loose the top spacer but unfortunately if you have the control arms on the wrong sides it is still an issue even removing the top spacer.

7. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:37 AM
    MikeRTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Here is the drivers side. Let me know your thoughts

20161022_073151.jpg

bahndrvr likes this.
  8. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:50 AM
    Crikeymike

Crikeymike ExitOffroad.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    This is driver side on our 4runner (only photo I had handy). Looks like your arm is on the correct side to me. I was also thinking it was too much lift.

[​IMG]

bahndrvr likes this.
  9. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:55 AM
    bahndrvr

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    A few with more coming
    Damn, looks like it's correct - sucks for me as well as my upper balljoint let go and I am looking at upper control arms, that's how I found this thread as the Tuff country arms are under 300 shipped.

Here's the best writeup I have seen and you can see where it appears you do have them in the correct way:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/total-chaos-uca-how-to-install.14507/

10. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    Crikeymike

Crikeymike ExitOffroad.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    We will have some competitively priced UCA's hopefully in January, with uniball and balljoint type.

bahndrvr[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:01 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Ditch the spacer, you have too much down travel. Happened to me with Bilstein's and a spacer. Temporarily, I rotated the spring so that the control arm wouldn't touch it, but eventually switched to OME shocks which had less down travel than Bilstein.

FARNORCAL likes this.
  12. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:08 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I've read of this problem with Tuff Country UCAs before. It's them, not you. A well designed aftermarket UCA wouldn't do this. My LR UCAs don't have this problem. One guy even traded his Tuff Countrys for stock UCAs because he was so pissed. Good luck resolving the issue.

13. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:29 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    To much lift. Add a limit strap or pull the spacer.

14. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:37 AM
    Harry

Harry Science, Bitches

Member:
    Santa Fe NM
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Off Road DCSB
    This. The SPC/Light Racing control arms don't have this issue and are only about $100 more than the Junk Country UCAs.

Sorry OP, but I think you stepped over a dollar to pick up a dime with your lift choices.

PackCon and FARNORCAL like this.
  15. Oct 28, 2016 at 4:39 PM
    MikeRTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    So, I took out the Spacer and the problem is gone and it rides a LOT better. Thank you everyone for the help. I guess 2.5 inches of lift will do for now LOL. I am now a happy customer and saved a little bit of money with the Tuff Country.

Infernomedic, bahndrvr and Crikeymike like this.
  16. Apr 20, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    olrednec

olrednec Member

Member:
    St. Pete, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 v6 SR5
    Ok so I have these exact control arms and had the same problem. Of course I see people saying it's those "evil spacers" and it's not. There are two things that could be happening. One, too much lift if you have a 3" spacer lift kit plus over one inch on your shocks. The other problem is that when you first put them on they may touch, but when you drive it for 15 minutes or so your truck will settle and you will see a significant difference. I have a 3" spacer lift and I had my shocks at 1.75" so that was too much. Lowered the shocks to the next setting down and kept my evil spacers. When I dropped the truck back on the ground, they were still hitting. I was pissed but decided to take it for a ride. 4 miles later I was home from my shop and they settled SIGNIFICANTLY and had at least an inch of space between them and the springs. My truck rides so smooth it's ridiculous and I have aftermarket fuel rims and 285/70/17 BFG all terrain KO2s

17. Apr 20, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seems legit.

18. Apr 20, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    You have a 3" spacer plus lift from a coilover on a 4x4 and claim it rides good?!? Imma call bullshit on that

T4RFTMFW and Justinlhc like this.
  19. Apr 20, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    No way dude, it settled in 4 miles.

20. Apr 20, 2017 at 4:02 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    Coils don't settle :stirthepot:

descartesairplnne likes this.