1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Maf Cal "Plug-n-Play" 2012

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by nut, Jul 28, 2012.

?

URD Maf Cal "Plug-n-Play"

Poll closed Aug 27, 2012.
  1. I'm interested in a "Kit"

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. I'm interested in just the info for $5

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Don't care about any of it.

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Mitt Romney For Pres!

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Jul 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    KITS NOW FOR SALE

I am currently working on a semi plug-n-play setup for the URD Maf Cal. It wont be like what URD or anyone else sells (ecu extensions). I am currently talking to a manufacturer in Japan about the required pieces. My setup will require the user to remove the wire terminals from the plastic plugs and insert a pigtail that can be used to splice instead of the factory wires. Soldering will still be required from the Maf Cal to the pigtail. Once I make sure they can supply the correct pieces and shipping costs are verified, I should be able to start selling. All of this is for a 2012 and I am still in the works of finding out if this will work for 09+ applications. Communication has been slow with the supplier so please be patient. I WILL update this thread as it happens. The poll is to see if this is a project worth doing (selling a kit), or if you would rather just have the information for like $5 and doing everything yourself (just giving you part #'s and where to buy).

Possible kit contents:
    All male/female pig tails required to install PCU
    Pictures detailing each wire and where it goes
    How to remove wires from the connector with pictures
    where to buy removal tool (under $4)
    All required shrink tubing
    Soldering wick if requested when ordered

Update 8/21/12: Installed kit on my 2012. So far so good! Sending a kit to csjumper for fitment on older trucks. I AM NOT taking orders now

Edit: Working with csjumper on a few things, hope to have a prototype installed on his truck in the next week or 2 (8/20-8/27)
    Edit: Part numbers and locations won't be an option, too many people want to know where to buy and start acting as my competition ;)

edit: this is an example of how the kit will work. you connect the male to the ecu female and shrink tube the connection.
    pcuwires_2a64d95992beabb870c9886cf6e14d381d03f7a1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. Jul 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    I like the fact u ran with this idea. I want one of the first ones when you figure this out.

3. Jul 30, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Interesting sir.

4. Jul 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    yeah i know we had talked about it. I still want to do what we talked about if i can get the parts at a good price. i'll keep you in the loop

5. Jul 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Sweet. That would definetely be bad ass

6. Jul 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    well the reason they havent made it for the 09+ is because nobody can get the plugs to make the ecu extension harness. im bypassing all that and making it a little more work so to say. you have to remove the individual wires (5 i believe) and replace them with pig tails that you can tie into. my setup will NOT be for people who arent confident at soldering. yeah i know it's easy to you and me, but for some people it's scary :rolleyes: i'm not doing anything somebody else couldnt do on their own, im just taking the work out of sourcing the pieces . most people dont even know what they are looking for let alone where to find it. im am doing this because i am confident in soldering and i want my PCU connected to my truck without tampering with the wiring. if other members feel the same, i'd like to help them out. i dont stand to make much profit, and will make sure my sources dont get leaked so someone else cant run over to xru or whatever and charge $150 for my work. i am a giver and know that if you do good things for people, they are more likely to help you out in the future, like when i need help with installing a lift etc.

7. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    Junyaboi808

Junyaboi808 Native.....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner TRD sport
    6" Pro Comp stage 1 lift, 17" Pro Comp Alloy Rims, Pro Comp 305/65/17 Xtreme A/T Tires ,Partially debaged, Blacked out tail and 3rd brake light, Hyper White LED Dome & MAP Lights, Blacked out tint back and rear windows w/35% up front, Euro style Antenna, Hid Head , LED Drl and Fog lights, T1 Eyelids, Fog light anytime mod, Pop and Lock PL8521 mod, Magnaflow Off-Road Pro 17115 dumped before axle
    id be interested in picking up one of these pnp kits from you when you figure it all out. Good work man!

8. Aug 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    thanks, i will keep y'all posted. my first shipment is on its way from japan, fingers crossed :pray:

9. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    Junyaboi808

Junyaboi808 Native.....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner TRD sport
    6" Pro Comp stage 1 lift, 17" Pro Comp Alloy Rims, Pro Comp 305/65/17 Xtreme A/T Tires ,Partially debaged, Blacked out tail and 3rd brake light, Hyper White LED Dome & MAP Lights, Blacked out tint back and rear windows w/35% up front, Euro style Antenna, Hid Head , LED Drl and Fog lights, T1 Eyelids, Fog light anytime mod, Pop and Lock PL8521 mod, Magnaflow Off-Road Pro 17115 dumped before axle
    Sounds good man :D

10. Aug 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Keep me updated

11. Aug 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCLB, TRD Sport, Barcelona Red
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield
    I am looking into getting the URD TCAI, trying to do my research before laying down the ol' Visa.

I haven't had a chance to poke under the hood to look at the MAF yet, wont be home till tomorrow night, but, is it not on its own plug connector? and if it is, can we not just get the Male/Female ends attached on either end of a set of wires, to just make a super easy PNP jumper?

12. Aug 9, 2012 at 1:48 AM
    MADtaco09

MADtaco09 Hawaii, Fuck Yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pahoa, Big Island.
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red TRD Sports
    6" Basic Fabtech Lift Kit. 2012 Off Road Tacoma Struts (Less than 100 miles). Cab Mount Chop. K&N CAI. Borla Exhaust. BHLM w/Custom Yellow Blinker Lens & Yellow Reflector. Black LED Altezza Tail lights. Black LED Bermuda 3rd Brake Light. Yellow Tinted Fogs w/ HID 35w 3000K. Nokya Hyper Yellow DTRL Bulb. Anytime Running Fog Light Mod. DTRL Switch Mod (Stealth Mode). Hyper White LED Dome & MAP Lights. Nokya Hyper Yellow Parking Lights. 20% Tinted Windows. Viper Alarm with Remote start. Blacked Out Valance. Blacked Out Badges. Blacked Out Radiator. Relocated Horns. OEM Roof Racks. Wet Okole Seat covers. SATOSHI Grille w/ FJ 60 TOYOTA Emblem Color Matched. TRD License Plate Frame. Sleepy Eyelids Color Matched. 13" EuroStyle Antenna. Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) Retrofit w/ Morimoto 3Five 5000K Bulbs. SS Extended Brake Lines. Seat Belt Chime OFF. Wish List: N-Fab Steps. DTLT Headers. 4.88 Gears. Alcan Leaf Springs. One Piece Drive Shaft.
  13. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Me thinks you two are talking two different things, santas is talking about the MAF sensor extension that is needed for the URD CAI, while wolf, and the OP, are talking about the ECU connections for the MAF Calibrator.

14. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Here you go. This link has the pics you are looking for.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48668

This place might have the connectors you are looking for.

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/index.php?cPath=63_56

15. Aug 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    Yeah you are talking 2 different things, looks like Torspd and Wolfpack answered that for you.

My order still hasn't arrived :turtleride:

16. Aug 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    First shipment arrived today, will be verifying the fitment for 09+ in the next 2 weeks. If all works out, I'll have enough for about 5 kids at first. Not taking orders yet, will keep everyone updated.

17. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Give me give me give me !!!!!! Lol

18. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    Another Update: I am in the works of finding one last part to make it as close to plug-n-play as possible, if I can find it, the only soldering will be my wires, to the URD Maf Cal.

*Fingers crossed*

19. Aug 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    Pretty sure I just found/ordered the last part to make it plug and play, I will have to verify fitment when it comes in (seems to be about 3 weeks from order date) If it works, the only soldering will be from the PCU Maf Cal to MY KIT, the factor harness wires will plug into a terminal and just shrink tubed, example pictured
    [​IMG]

20. Aug 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    VERY interested, sounds like some good work and at a reasonable price point.

One question/thought though. I was wondering if you could include a switch that would bypass the MAF Cali line to the ECU-MAF circuit (stock MAF input to ECU, instead of MAF Cali input to ECU) such that the MAF Cali could be bypassed if desired? A possible value-add maybe.....

Products Discussed in

To Top