1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD MAF or UNICHIP????

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by uscg2008, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    so guys, im going to be getting some money back for all my expences for moving up here to kodiak and i want to upgrade my performance a little more on my truck. i already have a trd exhaust, TRD CAI, and JBL shorties. any thoughts on wat would be the best bang for my buck between the URD MAF and the Unichip plug and go chip. ive been looking on here and i cant find any comparisons. any input would be helpful. thanks guys

coby

2. Apr 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    uscg2008

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    and why do you think that the URD would be better??

3. Apr 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    URD +1, its more proven than the Unichip for the Tacoma. G puts a lot of time and effort to make things he sells to us work optimally. Pretty sure the cost differential is substantial as well.

4. Apr 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
  5. Apr 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    I'd steer clear of Unichip, a good friend of mine owns Underground Performance and Racing here in Anchorage and he said that those have been known to freeze engines. I don't think they are designed with our cold Alaskan temps that you'll get in Kodiak as well. I'd definitely check with Gadget on that if you do end up going with URD to see if it's any different. I doubt they test for cold temps being where they are. It's the only reason I haven't chipped mine yet.

6. Apr 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Here are some good reasons why it is a better option.

1: Cheaper price.

2: You can tune it yourself, or have any shop tune it if you aren't comfortable. Plus URD tech support will help you out if you have questions.

3: Unichip is required to be tuned by Authorized dealers only. They pre-load maps based on your mods. Doesn't mean in any way it is correct.

4: Tuning for unichip is usually a minimum of $250 an hour. Price will differ by shop for URD's if you don't have gadget or yourself do it.

Now, on the flip side, noting that any customer service has to come from South Africa, their units are good when tuned by a professional. Finding professional shops here though are far between.

In the UAE, they love Unichip, and are making high HP Tacomas/FJs and 4Runners.

7. Apr 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    You ought get in to Anchorage and visit Nick at Underground, he's the guy for tuning up here in AK. Very very gifted at it. If you end up getting either, which I would go with the URD, I'd still take it over to him to have him do the tuning. He's dealt with them a lot.

8. Apr 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    NoSoup4You

NoSoup4You Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Camburg | King | Glassworks | DMZ | Nitro | Banks | Pelfreybilt | Brute Force Fab | Bay Area Metal Fab | Baja Designs | Rigid Industries | STL
    Really, Unichip and URD MAF Calibrator can not be compared .. they don't do the same thing.

Unichip is a complete piggy-back system for the ECU - their off-the-shelf maps suck, even if they claim they have one for your specific mods. $250/hr for tuning is about right - plus most places want a setup fee to even put your car/truck on the dyno.

URD only modifies the open-loop signal (full throttle) of your MAF - it only really needs to be tuned for your CAI, but still benefits from a custom tune. Definitely a more proven and easier to install mod.

I purchased a URD MAF Cal for my AFE Stage II CAI, but never installed it. In the end it seemed better to stick with traditional bolt-ons, or save for a supercharger to get substantial & safe gains. IMHO.

9. Apr 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    uscg2008

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    thanks everyone for all the input i really appreciate all the advice guys!!!

10. Apr 23, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Well stated.

Products Discussed in

To Top