1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Spec-U Exhaust, 2016+ Tacoma V6 AC/LB, DC/SB

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Glenn_R, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Dec 5, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    Yzkiley

Yzkiley Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tacoma Sport DCSB MT
    rain guards, hood deflector, oem tonneau, BFG ko2's, led lightbar behind grill, highlift jack mount side rail, husky Xact front & rear mats, bedrug, AFE cold air intake with scoop, TB spacer, Spec U exhaust, Hikari - lumileds Led's, any time backup cam and gps, OV tune 103B, TRD pro grille, Cali raised pod fog lights, ECGS needle bearing, Bilstein 5100's, Low range offroad 3-1 level kit, SPC light racing ctrl arms, spidertraxx 1.25in spacers, Ride right airbags, clazzio seat covers, carrier bearing spacer, diff drop spacer.....
    Not too happy, just checked my pipes and they are the same as yours. Spent alot of money getting this up to Canada. Sure glad I am following this forum as I have a shop lined up to install this on Friday which is located an hour away from me. Even took the day off work as this is the only appointment I could get with the shop until the New Year. Thanks to your post this has been avoided. I can't even begin to express how upset I would of been to find this out on Friday. Waisted day for me and the mechanic. Thanks to the poster for posting this as you just saved me a major headache. Still upset that I will have to wait for this to be resolved but better than a double whammy. With the prices paid for this system URD really needs to get their quality control sorted out as I have read multiple posts regarding fitment issues. You would think this wouldn't be an issue after a year. Is no one checking whats going in the box before shipping? Hopefully this is made rightIMG_20171205_214033.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 5, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    rain guards, hood deflector, oem tonneau, BFG ko2's, led lightbar behind grill, highlift jack mount side rail, husky Xact front & rear mats, bedrug, AFE cold air intake with scoop, TB spacer, Spec U exhaust, Hikari - lumileds Led's, any time backup cam and gps, OV tune 103B, TRD pro grille, Cali raised pod fog lights, ECGS needle bearing, Bilstein 5100's, Low range offroad 3-1 level kit, SPC light racing ctrl arms, spidertraxx 1.25in spacers, Ride right airbags, clazzio seat covers, carrier bearing spacer, diff drop spacer.....
  3. Dec 6, 2017 at 4:17 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    This is such a bummer. I cant believe that somehow these exhausts keep getting messed up like that. Wonder if they are getting damaged during shipping or getting mixed up before they get boxed or what... it doesnt make any sense!

TREspalding likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2017 at 6:43 AM
    TREspalding

TREspalding Well-Known Member

Member:
    There's no way this got damaged in shipping.

That's clearly a manufacturing error.

Glenn_R[OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:07 AM
    charlieyankee88

charlieyankee88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB MT
    RADFLO Suspension, JBA HD UCAs, Mobtown low pro bumper, Mobtown bolt-on sliders, Engo SR10s, SCS Stealth 6, AFE CAI, URD Spec U, OV Tuned, Gobi Rack, Softopper, CMC
    Glad I could help you out! I definitely didn't want others going through the same issues I had. It is mind boggling that there isn't a better QC system in place for checking these before they go out the door. I am also guessing that you and I are not the only two that are going to have this experience. Based on what Gadget said to me it sounds like they might have had the wrong "jig" on so it made the wrong pipe. I guess that means that any of the systems made at that time would be messed up. If I was them I would get a head of this and send out emails to anyone that purchased the system in that time frame to give them a heads up.

Yzkiley[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    This is all my fault, i wrote this in my order:

>> Thanks Gadget - cant waitto install! Can you double check that everything
    >> is in the box - i will be driving to Niagara Falls to pick this up, then
    >> bring it back home to Toronto.
    >>
    >> Happy Thanksgiving,
    >>
    >> Greg

Gadget did email me yesterday telling me one of the parts may be wrong, so he is informing customers.

7. Dec 6, 2017 at 11:35 AM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    That's great. I have sent 2 emails - one to support, one to warranties and returns plus 2 direct messages to Gadget via this forum. Haven't had a response to any requests yet. There isnt even a number to call. Really wondering if I am having a really bad dream. Did I just make a mistake in buying this product from this company?:confused::frusty:

8. Dec 6, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    Check your email, he sent me an "update" on my order:

Hello, a note has just been added to your order:

STOP!!

URD has found that there is a very strong chance that one of the parts in your exhaust kit is wrong. The Y section may be incorrect.

Please do not attempt to install until we get this sorted out and if need be ship you a new correct part.

Very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused but we will do everything possible to sort this out as quickly as we can.

Gadget

Their phone number is on the main page of their website - 877-8URDUSA (1-877-887-3872). I'm sure he is freaking out right now trying to get everything sorted. He will fix you up in the end, i've had alot of good experiences with URD.

9. Dec 6, 2017 at 2:04 PM
    savethewheels

savethewheels Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    truck
    Was considering ordering one of these over Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Maybe it's better that I didn't. :eek:

10. Dec 6, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    charlieyankee88

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB MT
    RADFLO Suspension, JBA HD UCAs, Mobtown low pro bumper, Mobtown bolt-on sliders, Engo SR10s, SCS Stealth 6, AFE CAI, URD Spec U, OV Tuned, Gobi Rack, Softopper, CMC
    Gadget said he would be reaching out to customers about the issue. I don't think he was stoked that I posted about it here when I told him, but oh well. I wanted to give everyone a heads up and it's on them if they didn't QC products going out the door.

Yzkiley and savethewheels like this.
  11. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Its all good, Finally got messaged - Gadget will send a new Y pipe. Still a little upset. Feel better that there has been a response. Reassuring that this will be corrected, definitely helps. I did ask for express or overnight shipping as would this would be fair resolution. Would really like to have this system installed by the holidays. I must admit the exhaust system looks impressive even tho it doesn't fit. I am sure it will be worth the wait.
    :canada:

12. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I dont think that you stop you from buying this system. It's a really sweet system from stock thats for sure. Just gotta have the right parts if you know what I mean. It will be corrected, mistakes happen and thats understandable. Lessons learned. Again like I said before. Will be worth the wait. Hopefully moving forward this can be a thing of the past as really its time, money and frustrating on all sides.

charlieyankee88 likes this.
  13. Dec 7, 2017 at 3:37 AM
    savethewheels

savethewheels Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    truck
    It won't stop me from buying the system altogether, just glad I didn't get over the holidays. Even with sale pricing, the hassle just isn't worth it to me.

stevotivo12 likes this.
  14. Dec 14, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    Vitalzone

Vitalzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB 6 spd manual
    -ADS coil overs with RR, and compression adjusters -ADS triple bypass rear shocks -Mcm UCAs -Deaver U402 stage 1 leaf packs -ADS bumps in the rear with Icon U bolt flip striker plates -Relentless Offroad U bolts -Wheeler superbumps in front -SCS 17" Ray 10s -285/75/17 BFG KM2s -Nitro 5.29 gears -Pelfteybilt armor front to back with HC rear bumper. T- case skid cut to fit Spec U exhaust. -RCI diff skid -Avid bed bars with basket holding spare. Poison Spyder 3-way strap. Hi-lift jack,and shovel mounted to basket. - SDHQ ditch light brackets with BD Squadron Pro spots. -BD Squadron Pro wide cornering in F. bumper. -BD S8 30" bar in F. bumper -Smittybilt 10k X20 winch -Factor 55 fairlead, and prolink -Switch pro 9100, with custom machined aluminum switch bezel. -BAMF grille insert -URD short throw shifter -URD Spec U exhaust cut over axle. Exhaust looks like it was fabricated by a blind child. -Suntek carbon XP 18% tint all around -ARB single compressor, mounted on Slee bracket. Lines to front, and rear bumper. -Rear diff breather mod,ran to bed cubby. -Ovtune 1.05 FOB 91 -Sprint-booster -Clutch accumalator delete mod -Hella Sharptone horns -Crown +4” extended brake lines, with modified factory brackets to fit lines. -Hypertech speedo calibrator -Custom pinstripes, and trail rash done by the beautiful AZ desert.
    I'm one of the lucky guys that received the wrong y section. Ordered October 30th, after I was told the exhaust was in stock. Only to find out it wasn't 4 days after. I was told "shipping next week" on 3 occasions by Gadget. 5 weeks later the exhaust was waiting for me after arriving home from a deer hunting trip. Immediately tore off my other Urd y-pipe, and factory cat back before I noticed the voice mail from Gadget. He says the replacement y section may ship the end of this week. We'll see about that. This is not the first time an exhaust related order from Urd has been screwed up for me. Honestly I'm very disappointed in the quality of this exhaust. It appears to be far overpriced for the lack of craftsmanship that I see in the system. Multiple crush points in the tubing from a vise. Tubing ground into on every spot weld location. I had to debur every joint. The section of tubing between the V band, and muffler is butt welded near the middle, and poorly aligned. I have checked every photo I can find in this thread, and on the Urd site. This section isn't welded in the photos. I'm thinking the fabricator messed up, and decided to patch this section. Maybe I'm wrong, and Urd changed their build process. Can someone who has this exhaust let me know what it looks like on their's please. Try to upload a pic, but my phone is giving me hell. Do it later on my laptop.

Edit: 1 more thing I forgot. A slip joint on the y section was dented in, and wouldn't allow fitment without repair. Not that it matters now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  15. Dec 14, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    Vitalzone

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    -ADS coil overs with RR, and compression adjusters -ADS triple bypass rear shocks -Mcm UCAs -Deaver U402 stage 1 leaf packs -ADS bumps in the rear with Icon U bolt flip striker plates -Relentless Offroad U bolts -Wheeler superbumps in front -SCS 17" Ray 10s -285/75/17 BFG KM2s -Nitro 5.29 gears -Pelfteybilt armor front to back with HC rear bumper. T- case skid cut to fit Spec U exhaust. -RCI diff skid -Avid bed bars with basket holding spare. Poison Spyder 3-way strap. Hi-lift jack,and shovel mounted to basket. - SDHQ ditch light brackets with BD Squadron Pro spots. -BD Squadron Pro wide cornering in F. bumper. -BD S8 30" bar in F. bumper -Smittybilt 10k X20 winch -Factor 55 fairlead, and prolink -Switch pro 9100, with custom machined aluminum switch bezel. -BAMF grille insert -URD short throw shifter -URD Spec U exhaust cut over axle. Exhaust looks like it was fabricated by a blind child. -Suntek carbon XP 18% tint all around -ARB single compressor, mounted on Slee bracket. Lines to front, and rear bumper. -Rear diff breather mod,ran to bed cubby. -Ovtune 1.05 FOB 91 -Sprint-booster -Clutch accumalator delete mod -Hella Sharptone horns -Crown +4” extended brake lines, with modified factory brackets to fit lines. -Hypertech speedo calibrator -Custom pinstripes, and trail rash done by the beautiful AZ desert.
    Here got them to upload

20171213_180553.jpg
    20171213_180603.jpg

16. Dec 14, 2017 at 11:17 AM
    Glenn_R

Glenn_R [OP] The Unicorn Turd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB OR Inferno
    No welds on mine there.

17. Dec 14, 2017 at 12:26 PM
    Vitalzone

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I referenced your photos before posting. Looks to me like I have an oops midsection. That section should be bent out of one piece of tubing. I see no reason why it wouldn't be. I know it may not have any impact on fit or function, but I didn't pay 1k for mistakes. I'm getting more pissed off about this by the minute. I'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in before I fire off an email to Gadget. I'm sure he'll blow this kinda thing off anyway.

18. Dec 14, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    Glenn_R

Glenn_R [OP] The Unicorn Turd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB OR Inferno
    He sure has had a hard time getting these made up consistently. It is too bad, I like the design and sound of the system.

stevotivo12 likes this.
  19. Dec 14, 2017 at 3:01 PM
    charlieyankee88

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB MT
    Yah, it is a little frustrating. I have always praised URD for their designs and products, but this experience has swayed me a little bit. When you pay a premium price you expect to get what you pay for. I am still excited about the exhaust, but it is a real bummer that I will be going on 3 weeks of having it with no fix yet.

20. Dec 14, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    Vitalzone

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    [QUOTE ="charlie yankee 88, post: 16679416 member: 224770"]Yah, it is a little frustrating. I have always praised URD for their designs and products, but this experience has swayed me a little bit. When you pay a premium price you expect to get what you pay for. I am still excited about the exhaust, but it is a real bummer that I will be going on 3 weeks of having it with no fix yet.[/QUOTE]

Wait 3 weeks? I saw your post from Dec 5th stating the problem with fitment. So has it been 3 weeks or 9 days? I was notified on the 5th via email, and voicemail. This problem isn't being rectified fast enough imo. Going on 1.5 weeks now. Plenty of time for Gadget to pull together his resources, and make this right. It doesn't take days or weeks to fabricate y-pipes. I don't care if its the holiday season either. The replacement parts should be in the custody of Fed Ex by now. Doubt they ship tomorrow, just going by past history with Gadget.

Products Discussed in

To Top