1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Spec-U Exhaust, 2016+ Tacoma V6 AC/LB, DC/SB

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Glenn_R, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Jan 19, 2018 at 4:16 PM
    charlieyankee88

charlieyankee88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB MT
    RADFLO Suspension, JBA HD UCAs, Mobtown low pro bumper, Mobtown bolt-on sliders, Engo SR10s, SCS Stealth 6, AFE CAI, URD Spec U, OV Tuned, Gobi Rack, Softopper, CMC
    Looks awesome, I will most likely go this route. What was the install cost? if you don't mind me asking.
    Do you have the exhaust welded at the muffler as well? or is it just the clamp?

2. Jan 19, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    Yzkiley

Yzkiley Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tacoma Sport DCSB MT
    rain guards, hood deflector, oem tonneau, BFG ko2's, led lightbar behind grill, highlift jack mount side rail, husky Xact front & rear mats, bedrug, AFE cold air intake with scoop, TB spacer, Spec U exhaust, Hikari - lumileds Led's, any time backup cam and gps, OV tune 103B, TRD pro grille, Cali raised pod fog lights, ECGS needle bearing, Bilstein 5100's, Low range offroad 3-1 level kit, SPC light racing ctrl arms, spidertraxx 1.25in spacers, Ride right airbags, clazzio seat covers, carrier bearing spacer, diff drop spacer.....
    No clamps were welded just the resonator and an additional hanger. Heres a video, sorry its not great as well, its tough to do. Raining cats and dogs...
    Need a co pilot, dont wanna hear about it....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mss6od64uWbRx2asmBX7q8Z3i06JVDL8/view?usp=drivesdk

Cost was $320 all in...
    Too me its a huge improvement, nice performance sound, not obnoxious. You can hear the rain, before you just heard exhaust. Super pleased with the way this turned out.

Can someone let me know if the video link worked?

Cheers
    :burnrubber:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. Jan 19, 2018 at 7:09 PM
    charlieyankee88

charlieyankee88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB MT
    RADFLO Suspension, JBA HD UCAs, Mobtown low pro bumper, Mobtown bolt-on sliders, Engo SR10s, SCS Stealth 6, AFE CAI, URD Spec U, OV Tuned, Gobi Rack, Softopper, CMC
    Can't see vid. thanks for the info!

4. Jan 19, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    rain guards, hood deflector, oem tonneau, BFG ko2's, led lightbar behind grill, highlift jack mount side rail, husky Xact front & rear mats, bedrug, AFE cold air intake with scoop, TB spacer, Spec U exhaust, Hikari - lumileds Led's, any time backup cam and gps, OV tune 103B, TRD pro grille, Cali raised pod fog lights, ECGS needle bearing, Bilstein 5100's, Low range offroad 3-1 level kit, SPC light racing ctrl arms, spidertraxx 1.25in spacers, Ride right airbags, clazzio seat covers, carrier bearing spacer, diff drop spacer.....
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  5. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:13 PM
    Ice8

Ice8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma TRD Off Road SB
    A few listed in the signature
    Which size did you do? Was it the 2.5" or 3" outlet?

6. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:21 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    3inch

7. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:22 PM
    Ice8

Ice8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma TRD Off Road SB
    A few listed in the signature
    Sounds good thanks. I'll probably consider one too, I watched the video and it is easier on the ears than mine. Much appreciated.

8. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:28 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    It works well especially on longer road trips. Before installing the resonator I would get pretty tired of the noise after about 1/2 hour. I can drive the truck all day now and its rather pleasant to listen too. Nice performance note, not overstated Feels smoother in the powerband as well. I cant wait to get the tune loaded. Hopefully it will show up soon. Will do a proper video in dryer weather with a copilot.

9. Jan 20, 2018 at 1:34 AM
    marinemonkey

marinemonkey Instagram - @tacomaturner @torxfabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blue Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    All-Pro Apex sliders Mobtown full skids SCS Ray 10s brushed copper Chevy 63 swap
    So I have not received my exhaust yet. I ordered mine on November 25.... I contacted gadget on the 1/9/18 to see what was up and he said that there were backed up and were making them in the next few weeks. Is anyone else in this boat??? I mean I ordered skids at the same time (Black Friday weekend) and I got this last week. Is it that hard to do exhaust?

10. Jan 20, 2018 at 10:23 AM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I got mine just before xmas. They sent the wrong y pipe so had to wait til first week on Jan. Install was pretty easy - 2hrs with hoist and proper tools. It took longer to remove old exhaust than it did to install the spec u system. Installing the resonator and extra hanger took about 2 hrs as they need to be welded in.

11. Jan 20, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    Fallenjedi

Fallenjedi Member

Member:
    The dark side
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Sport DCSB
    Yes, I ordered on 11-27.
    Emailed them on 1-3, and got a similar response.

12. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    Did mine today - took 3 hours in my driveway. Agreed, getting the old exhaust out was the hard part, especially the drive side cat. with the safety hanger. Impact gun made easy work of the exhaust bolts but you will need some different lengths / wobbles.
    Install was fairly straightforward - difficult parts was getting the hangers on the rubber (the new hangers are a bit larger than originals) and cutting the exhaust 2" to get it to fit right (sawzall did quick work of that). I used a file to deburr all the edges and i cleaned as much of the mandrel bender grease out of the exhaust pipes.

You will need 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 15mm and 1/2" sockets, preferably 1/2" drive.

I did not like that the v-band does not have he centering ring (male/female) like my other v-bands have. Hard to say if it's perfectly straight, will check again in daylight.

Sound - i'm still getting used to. It has a nice quiet idle once the cold idle drops down. cruising is great 1800-2000rpm - almost OEM quiet. It gets loud 2500-3000rpm. It sounds good after that... drove through some tunnels and along some highway noise barriers and it sounded amazing. I'm considering getting a resonator if it will quiet the 2500-3000rpm area.

13. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:24 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Have you climbed some big long hills. You will find the drone gets annoying after a week of driving. It will also get louder after day 2 at least mine did. Had to re-tighten all clamps several times. Didn't like the burble pop sound when mashing the throttle to the floor at 2500 to 4000rpm. You will likely be wanting a resonator soon. If you are in Vancouver area check out mtech in poco.

14. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    savethewheels

savethewheels Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    truck
    So on top of cutting off extra pipe and welding on hangers, customers are now having to add an extra resonator to get rid of drone. o_O Is that not an option from URD?

dYL0n likes this.
  15. Jan 20, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Cutting the pipe is no real concern as I said before. Its easier to cut an inch or two then add. I have OCD so I added the extra hanger on drivers side down pipe, its not necessary to do this. Resonator is personal preference. If you like a loud exhaust, no problem. I want a performance sound without going deaf. The benefits of this exhaust out weigh the additional work to make it perfect. Could URD add the additional hanger? hell ya, could urd offer a resonator, hell ya.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  16. Jan 25, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    So, a week in, i love everything that is not between 2500-3000rpm... it sounds trumpet loud... did the resonator mute those areas? I love everything else... i will get my cousin to weld it in once the weather gets alittle better.

17. Jan 25, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR

Is that stainless exhaust?

18. Jan 25, 2018 at 10:36 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    It mutes out 60% of the noise. Huge improvement in my opinion

19. Jan 25, 2018 at 10:36 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Yes

20. Jan 26, 2018 at 4:44 AM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR

Y'all back purging / backing when you're welding these up? If not those hangers won't take long to tear out.

Products Discussed in

To Top