1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Spec-U LT Headers and Full Exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by rat107, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:25 PM
    Sleeves

Sleeves New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma White TRD Off Road
    URD Spec U Header back exhaust. ToyTech Boss Suspension Lift
    So here is my first post! I just installed the full spec u exhaust onto the URD long tube headers and am having some noises i don't think are normal. At quick acceleration there is a high pitched sort of rattling noise. It sounds kinda like a rice burner honda civic. I got under the truck today and checked for tightness on all the clamps and they were good. I had a little difficulty getting the sections to line up and mount together perfectly but eventually i got all the clamps together. I started the truck and got underneath to listen and check things out and there was some water dripping from the connection on the backside of the magnaflow muffler. I assume that means the connection isnt tight enough there but i cant get the clamp any tighter. I'm not sure if the sound is normal or not what do you guys think?

Stryker420 likes this.
  2. Jul 29, 2016 at 11:29 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

He had a similar complaint about the buzzing. You can hear it immediately after he takes off.

3. Aug 18, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    550orm5

550orm5 Member

Member:
    I had to pay my installer to build an "anti-drone" camber after/at the Y-Pipe in order to reduce the rattling. Now it is much quieter when under load, but if you rev it in neutral you can still hear it. Still pissed I bought this system, I did a lot of research on the Spec U exhaust before purchasing and no one mentioned the metallic rasp (ricer rasp) until I found this thread after-the-fact. If you don't mind sounding like a Honda Civic then go ahead and purchase this system. I understand why people stand behind URD, they do make some great products. BUT this exhaust needs a disclaimer added to it so you know before you spend $,$$$ that is going to sound terrible. No 5, 10,50 horsepower is worth the sound this thing makes. Its gross.

4. Aug 18, 2016 at 2:24 PM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    We get it! You are a pissed off dick who doesn't work on his own stuff and it would appear this so called "installer" probably shouldn't be either. You didn't know putting an exhaust was going to be "raspy", even thought there a probably a hundred threads about it. Forums are suppose to be for useful information, not only for you to bitch about a specific item. That's what reviews are for. Go buy a Colorado, now!

5. Aug 18, 2016 at 2:29 PM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    Oh yeah, if you go get your 90's car craft magazine out, the "anti drone" chamber(or camber if that's what YOU want to call it), are usually done after the muffler. Cutting the pipe at axle level just after it goes over it would've helped more that the noise cancelling tubes that never because it would need to be over engineered to work.

6. Aug 18, 2016 at 2:55 PM
    550orm5

550orm5 Member

Member:
    Wow, who is the pissed off dick? You are so tough on your computer, maybe take it easy on the keypad...

This is my 1000Hp Trans Am. It sounds awesome with zero rasp and full custom exhaust the same "installer" built from scratch, including the headers/turbo manifold. He knows exactly what he is doing that's why I picked him to build it, and my Tacoma.
    [​IMG]

Proof of 950 rwhp and 1024rwtq (so actually that is more than 1000hp at the flywheel)
    [​IMG]
    Custom 4" exhaust continued:
    [​IMG]

And then there is my Tacoma with URD Spec U exhaust that was professionally installed by the same installer, we used new manifold gaskets (instead of reusing the originals like Gadget said would be fine) as well as tested every connection point for leaks multiple times and go figure.....rasp rasp metallic rasp all over the place.

No I will not stop telling the truth about this exhaust system because every time I see another customer duped by Gadget and URD on this exhaust it pisses me off again! This is what makes forums great, being able to get honest opinions from customers that are not influenced by the manufacturers themselves. I wish more people were honest on this forum and not bullied by people like YOU so they are afraid to post the truth! Now if you would like to speak to me in person lets set that meeting up. Otherwise STFU bully.

7. Aug 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    There are some YouTube clips of a truck at AutoX, on XRU. It was the best example of that metallic ting rasp that I have heard to date. Strange. There are enough people complaining though, that it isn't an isolated case.

Better muffler, better resonator, better both? I don't know, and don't have one, so not willing to invest to test.

I do know what will make it sound the best though. Slap a turbo it. :D

Mech_Eng and TRON like this.
  8. Aug 18, 2016 at 5:54 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    So what I got from this is that if someone else owns an 1,100hp camaro....then their credibility trumps yours. Good logic.

MadDaddy likes this.
  9. Aug 18, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Gotta love the dick measuring in here! I saw a 1500HP GTR once that someone else built, does that mean I know more about how to install an exhaust? Apparently...

On that note, I installed my URD Y Pipe and Mark 3 exhaust by myself and have had zero issues...just saying...

10. Aug 18, 2016 at 6:02 PM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    i got URD headers, URD competition Ypipe and no muffler Nascar side exit catback... can I play the exhaust argue game?

Byb127 and WOODEX M.E. like this.
  11. Aug 18, 2016 at 6:04 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    No, you don't have 1000HP+ vehicle built by someone else, so you've got no dog in this fight. Jeez. Unless you've seen one, then thats a different story

MadDaddy and Byb127 like this.
  12. Aug 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    thewarriordinghy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    I built a maybe 250hp DD truck.... damn... guess I cant play

20somethingwidataco likes this.
  13. Aug 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM
    GT7

GT7 One piece at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Can u post a good clip of your exhaust note?

14. Aug 18, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    thewarriordinghy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    I don't have one mainly because its so loud if I rev it in a parking lot im sure the cops will show up... but maybe one day a passenger can film me somewhere... but if you don't want an exhaust that's almost deafening, then its not for you

15. Aug 18, 2016 at 6:28 PM
    GT7

GT7 One piece at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    How do you like it

16. Aug 18, 2016 at 6:37 PM
    thewarriordinghy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    i love it, especially when the Variable Valve Timing kicks in... it screams like a Nascar

17. Aug 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM
    GT7

GT7 One piece at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Wish I could hear in person

18. Aug 19, 2016 at 3:42 AM
    thewarriordinghy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    Ill try to get a clip one day, but its hard to find a place to just kick it....

19. Aug 19, 2016 at 7:39 AM
    550orm5

550orm5 Member

Member:
    I posted the info on my fully built Trans Am because there was a question about my installer not installing the URD Spec U system correctly. The point was that he is more than capable of installing just a full exhaust system. Thanks for understanding have a great day.

20. Aug 19, 2016 at 10:14 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    I chose to install mine myself so understand perfectly well.

Plus, ones past accomplishments and credentials do not expunge them from the potentiality of future mistakes and errors. Only an idiot would assume so. Every one of us on this site could make an installation mistake on these headers.

Now that you understand, today is pretty great.

Products Discussed in

To Top