1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD SS and Staking Screws

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rollintoy, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Jan 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    rollintoy

rollintoy [OP] Member

Member:
    I have searched so if I have overlooked this topic specifically, please accept my apologies.

I ordered a URD SS and after reading the install instructions, I am concerned about how to properly stake the screws. Given the importance of these screws not coming loose, I want to make sure I do it correctly. Would someone mind giving me detailed instructions on carrying out the "stake" process? Even better, if you have photos from when you did your install that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jan 16, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    Stevenredx

Stevenredx Member

Member:
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 RR X-Runner
    URD S/S | SOS Drop | 20" TSW Thruxtons | 14" Magnaflow | Black T-Rex Billet Grill | BHLM | 5% Tint | 8000k Bi-Xenon Kit | Nokya Yellow Fogs | Debadged Tailgate | Custom TCAI | Foglight Mod | Dash Light Mod | TTC Alarm | SG II | C2C Hood Struts | S2K Antenna
  3. Jan 16, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    TacoVerde

TacoVerde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    URD short shifter, OBX racing pedals and titanium/carbon fiber shift knob, Rear speaker mod, Taco bed mat, Bed extender, taco door sill protectors, Black TRD floormats, AFE stage 2 CAI, Doug Thorley Header and Catback, Glassworks Unlimited front fenders/bedsides, Engage front LT kit,2.5x8 King co's with resi's, dj straps
    your supposed to center punch the edge of the shift extender thread enough to where it keeps the set screw from backing out. I was nervous about that too

4. Jan 17, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    I have done it several times. I use a sharp chisel. You could also use a center punch. I loctite these screws in, then I use the chisel and upset a thread along the perimeter of the screw.

I do it in two spots along the perimeter of the screw and the shift ball extension.

5. Jan 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    rollintoy

rollintoy [OP] Member

Member:
    I guess I will have a better idea when I get the SS. It look like you tighten the screw down and then on the edge of the screw head hit it with a center punch which essentially would put a dent in the screw head and the metal directly underneath???

Coupe,

How can you "upset" the screw's thread if it screwed all the way in?

Again, when I see it up close maybe it will make more sense to me.

6. Jan 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    a good staking is where metal is moved into the head of the screw, just the same as on weapons...

if metal is not moved into the path of the screw coming out, then its not a good stake...simply chiseling wont do it..there are special punches out there that should do this..

these images are of an AR bolt carrier gas key staking:

good stake:
    [​IMG]

bad stake:
    [​IMG]

To Top