1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ursa Minor Shell for Tacoma

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by PleasurePaws, May 1, 2017.

1. May 8, 2017 at 12:37 AM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    I'm in Northern California and usually camp in heavily wooded areas. Every year there's a story of some kid in Yosemite or some similar camp site in the PNW dying from a bough during a storm or dry rot from a prolonged drought.

2. Jun 23, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    gnardoggie

gnardoggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Would people be interested in a service that converts their current aluminum topper into a westy/four wheel style camper?

jet123 and mreen428 like this.
  3. Jun 23, 2017 at 9:19 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I owned a Westfalia, and a FlipPac and have played around a bit with a Tacoma Habitat. The room inside these is quite amazing ... but achieved in different ways. The Westy has height and length inside the base vehicle, so the modest percentage of volume gain from the poptop is still useful. A pickup bed, especially a short (5') Taco doesn't gain as much from a poptop, unless it's a cabover (like Iggy's). The flip over campers add a huge amount of volume, plus separated sleeping space. I really don't understand the value of an FWC on something like a Taco ... significant weight, reduced floor space due to the slide in, and limited increase in horizontal room when popped up. Sort of the worst blend of flip over and poptop. But, I've never actually been inside one, so perhaps I should reserve judgment. Honestly, the FlipPac is the best architecture, spoiled by poor detail design and materials. With a truly waterproof tent, a strong torsion bar and stainless or aluminum structure (no steel and no wood) it would be very good. A $2500 shell, a $1000 tent and an additional $1000 in structure/hinge/latches and seals make this a good $5000 product. But it may never happen, so the Habitat or Iggy's poptop seem like pretty decent alternatives. I am leaning towards Iggy's design, it just seems simple and elegant.

4. Jun 25, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    gnardoggie

Member:
    Good info - I didn't realize that Iggy is working on something very similar. I'll have to keep an eye out for his progress.

5. Aug 3, 2017 at 11:39 AM
    Cal Pilot

Cal Pilot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cal
    Vehicle:
    Looking for a Taco Overland rig
    I also spoke to Ursa Minor and they confirmed they are working on a Tacoma camper but won't have it ready until 2018. I am planning my rig now and I'm trying to decide if I should go with a JKU Rubi or a Tacoma. Hopefully they'll have more info on the Taco version later this year.

6. Aug 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    gnardoggie

Member:
    I'm in the process of building a similar model custom. PM me if you'd like info.

7. Aug 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM
    mreen428

mreen428 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shmatty
    Queens, NY
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD Spt
    I wish flippac were still made bc I love that the truck is the footprint And is my main gripe with the habitat (also the price kills me). Excited to see Ursa Minor camper and how it will compare to iggys$1 build. Only thing that sucks is that everyone is located on the west coast!

Products Discussed in

To Top