1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Used ARE Shell - How much?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Hotdog, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm looking at a used ARE shell from my Tacoma twin. It is a very basic shell - no pull down front window, no liner, single handle on the rear glass, sliding windows, third brake light. He's asking $500. If you needed one, would you go for it? I figure that I can sell the shell later for almost the same price and then upgrade.

2. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    $500 for a used cap with minimal to no damage, that matches the truck? That is what I would expect to pay for one. Now if it did'nt match the truck not so much.

3. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Heck, I'd love to find one up here in the Northwest for that price, especially for a color matched shell. They just aren't available. Been looking for a couple of weeks now and either I continue to look or head to a dealer and spend 3 times that much for new. You can always take it back to a dealer and have some of the items added if you really need them. K:cool:

4. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I figure it is a fair price. I've seen them go for less, but this is a color matched quality shell.

Don't get discouraged, it took a year of looking before I found one. Search on craigslist for "Tacoma" and check to make sure any of the trucks getting sold have a shell. You might be able to buy one off of the truck. That's what I've been doing.

5. Dec 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Yeah, I have been searching Craigslist as this is the best place to find used. I also had my last shell/canopy painted by Maaco to match so color isn't an overriding issue. double cab long bed shells are pretty rare online though. K

6. Dec 14, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    you don't have to tell me. Someone else on here found their used shell after 1 year of searching and now it has happened to me. It appears you have to search for a year and then you'll find one.

I found a few people that were selling their trucks with shells, but they weren't interested in separating them.

Products Discussed in

To Top