1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Used Subaru Forester.....Feedback on them?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Janster, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dec 21, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Greetings Gang,

Shopping for a mini-SUV AWD for my 75 year old mother-in-law.

Been researching different utes and the Forester is the best bang for the buck at this point. Looking for years between 2005-2008. The newest with the least amount of miles for under $15,000 the better.

I've read about the head gasket issue....

So, if you've owned one, currently own one, or know a family member who's owned one....

Likes? Dislikes?
    Any feedback about anything .....

Thanks!!

2. Dec 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    we have a 2005. got it new and we are at 60k miles. only thing that has ever gone wrong..the sun roof broke and fell off the rails, $1500. the cruise control quit working, under warranty. no head gasket issues at all.

we have the turbo version. it is FAAAAST! fuel mileage blows..ave is about 22-23. on superunleaded. if we did it again, i think the normal aspirated model would suffice. also wind noise. when you test drive it..get it on the highway and listen. one of the window seals on our car could be tighter. we dont roadtrip in this car for this reason. too loud. the heated seats are wonderful. i have taken it on some very very rough fireroads and it is surprisingly nimble in the back country. lots of room in the back seats.

i think i need to change the belts soon..and the shocks are suspect now. normal i guess. if and when we need to replace it, i think my wife wants another subaru. she loves it.

3. Dec 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    My aunt and uncle used to have one, I can't remember which year 2005 or 2006. It ran perfectly and they got rid of it at 160k miles. I believe it was the turbo version also. My uncle beat on it pretty good and it was in way way way upstate NY so it saw some hard winters.

4. Dec 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Gang!!

We went out today to look and 'sit in' a variety of vehicles and ultimately, the Forester fit her the best (getting in & out).

My husband and I bought a 99 Legacy new, then sold it to my mother-in-law, and now its owned by my husbands co-worker. That was a nice car....

She sat in the Forester and it 'felt' very similar to that Legacy.....she liked it (and I'm glad).

Everything else...The RAV4's & CRV's just didn't 'fit' her. She's 5'3" and has a hard time getting in/out. She sat in it fine but everything else was built for taller people. She could barely see above the dash even with the seats full up.

No turbo, but would need the premium package for the power seats. She hasn't driven one yet..... but I'm sure it'll be similar to the Legacy.
    But we will see.

The Premium package shows an LSD center & rear diff......makes me wonder how that all works (compared to what I'm used to in the truck). heehhheeee

5. Dec 21, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my wife is tiny. it fits her perfectly.

i thought the AWD system was the same in all of the subies..good luck on the car shopping. i've heard the non turbo gets stellar mpg's/

6. Dec 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    sd_tacoma

sd_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR
    SD Truck Shop Sliders, 5100's up front @ .85
    I used to own a 2007 XT and loved it. Great all around car and incredibly reliable.

The head gasket issue is normally associated with the DOHC engine found in the SF model. The years your shopping has the SOHC (the non turbo at least) and doesn't have the same head gasket problem reputation as the older ones did.

Foresters are very reliable, especially when maintenance is done on time. Because these use interference engines, it's important that the timing belt is changed on time, so check for service records if your shopping for a model over 100,000 miles, factor this into the car costs if it's nearing that mileage.

7. Dec 21, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!
    We'll actually look for something anywhere in the 50-80k mileage range depending on the cost. The lower the better....

Whatever we end up with, we'll probably have most (or all) the maintenance done and perhaps try to negotiate timing belt (if needed) as the purchase agreement. Again, that depends on the mileage, etc.

I've been doing some research on maintenance schedules & such. Somewhat similar to the tacoma in terms of intervals.

8. Dec 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    sd_tacoma

sd_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR
    SD Truck Shop Sliders, 5100's up front @ .85
    Good luck on your car hunt. Last bit of advice is check out this forum:

http://www.subaruforester.org/

There are a ton of knowledgable and helpful people on it.

9. Dec 14, 2016 at 8:08 PM
    ProfessorX

ProfessorX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Menifee, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 4DR TRD 4x4(sold) 2016 DC SB TRD OR 4x4(totaled)
    I too roll a forester IMG_4263.jpg

10. Jan 16, 2017 at 3:59 PM
    Zoot

Zoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC/SB TRD O/R 4X4
    Toyota bed mat, Wet Okole's F&R, Window Tint, custom trail-stripes, Cooper A/T3 265/75R16, MedlinAround interior LEDs, Leer 100r, aFe air filter, K&n cabin filter
    Not an older one, but we (wife) have a '15 Premium with the N.A motor and I can get 34mpg on hwy out of it.

11. Jan 26, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    CaliTaco007

CaliTaco007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My cousin has a forester has about 175K miles on it. I drove it recently and drove like a new car. Couldnt tell it had that many miles on it, given the interior was not kept up nicely.

Products Discussed in

To Top