1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Used Truck. Wax before clay bar.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Matt 193, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mar 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    Matt 193

Matt 193 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 6spd
    Hey all,
    I am a new tacoma owner and to new TW member. I'm not new to forums, I've been on a few Dirt Bike forums. I tried using the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for so sorry if this is a question that has been asked several times.
    I just bought a 2011 Silver Streak tacoma, I bought it and drove it on salt covered roads for a couple weeks. Yesterday I washed the truck with Meguiar's Gold Class wash, and cleaned the inside with Meguiar's natural shine protectant, however when looking over the truck very closely I could see small rust spots, very small but noticeable when looking very closely. From what I have read here I believe they are from shipping rail dust when the truck was new. I also have terrible well water at my house which resulted in plenty of water spots all over the truck.
    In what I have read here it seems that doing a clay bar treatment to the truck would be the best way to get the truck looking as clean as possible. However with the weather being so terrible right now and me having a full work schedule would I be helping or hindering myself by doing a quick wax to the truck before I can clay bar it in the warmer weather this spring.
    Please keep in mind that I am new to truly attempting to detail a truck, and cant afford to spend a mint on cleaning supplies. I don't mind spending a little bit for good quality stuff but I am also not looking to spend a ton and get top of the line everything. Previously all I ever did was wax my other trucks twice a year and wash them when they got pretty dirty.
    Thanks for any help

2. Mar 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    JRFugitt

JRFugitt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner V6
    You want to clay it first as it would pull all the wax off. Plus you don't want to "seal" in contaminants. It will suck but do it right once and it will last a lot longer! My routine is: wash with a quality car wash and dry with micro fiber cloth as a chamois can strip wax, use a quality polish, use a quality glaze and then use a quality wax. I prefer Mothers but meguires is good to. Do it like this and all you will have to do is wash it every three months or so, spay detail like once a month and knock the dust off with a California duster like once a week. You shouldn't have to do this but like once a year. Yes it is a little anal but if you have ever owned a black car this will save the paint! You will be surprised at how the color will almost change and will look much deeper and richer!

3. Mar 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    c_walters

c_walters Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mooresville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 6MT MGM
    Wash with dawn to strip the old wax, clay bar, wash, various stages of buffing (go with the least abrasive compounds to remove swirls), wipe with 50/50 mix of water and alcohol in-between stages, polish, then if you want wax. Never touch the paint in-between washes as that'll introduce swirls.

4. Mar 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    JRFugitt

JRFugitt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner V6
    The clay removes contaminants as well as the wax you just put on. Its isn't a polishing tool. Yes it should have instructions. just mist with the detail spray for lubrication, knead the clay and GENTLY wipe the surface till smooth. You can feel when you need more spray and when the grit is gone. Don't forget to keep kneading the clay so the stuff it takes off the paint doesn't become sandpaper. If you drop the clay THROW IT AWAY no matter how clean it looks!

5. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I would also recommend using a paint sealant instead of wax for your situation. Sealant lasts longer than wax.

6. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    Matt 193

Matt 193 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 6spd
    Thanks for the info guys hopefully it warms up soon I'm excited to clay the truck and see the difference because overall it looks pretty clean but everyone says the clay makes a huge difference so I can't wait to see the results.

7. Mar 16, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    therover1991

therover1991 Member

Member:
    NYC
    Vehicle:
    14 Barcelona Double
    Definitely clay before you do any sort of work on the paint. The key to claying is using plenty of lubrication, if you go through a whole bottle or close to it of detail spray then you're doing it right. If you have the time and want that extra shine use a polish such as meguiar's ultimate polish before your wax and you'll get even more out of your paint. Finish up with a nice wax and stand back and admire your work

8. Apr 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    whiplash willy

whiplash willy Member

Member:
    Try using some Iron-X. It will dissolve the iron particles embedded in your paint, and get much more then claying would be able to remove. For best results, use Iron-X, then Clay, to remove any other contaminants in your paint.

Good review on Iron-X:
    http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/123972-review-carpro-iron-x/

Products Discussed in

To Top