1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Useless tonneau cover!

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by 3legacy, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Apr 12, 2017 at 5:46 PM
    3legacy

3legacy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Hello everyone! Just a heads up, I have seen a couple of threads from people inquiring about Toyota Tacomas factory tri-fold tonneau cover. SAVE YOUR MONEY! I paid a ton of money for my 2016 Tacoma 'Limited' which the cover is standard. As far as function and durability it's great, however it will NOT keep your cargo dry! Whenever I wash my truck or drive in the rain, when I drop my tailgate the entire pickup bed is drenched! Toyota tells me that it's not designed to be waterproof and I was considerably confused! I Googled (you can use any search engine you want) 'tonneau cover', it said that security, functionality and WEATHER RESISTANCE are 3 common factors! So basically I'm screwed-a $600+ option, I guess when Toyota designed that tonneau cover the weather resistance part must have slipped through the cracks! I have a couple of friends who each installed a $260 vinyl tri-fold tonneau covers on their pickups and they don't get a single leak when it rains, their cargo nice and dry!

2. Apr 12, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Weather Resistant ≠ Waterproof

9TRDTCO and isprant like this.
  3. Apr 12, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Get inside at night. Have a friend go around the edges with a bright light. Mark leak points with painters tape.

Use weatherstripping to close the gaps.

No soft tonneau will ever be weatherproof. If you have stuff that must be dry, carry it in water tight tubs.

Blockhead and Fastbilly5 like this.
  4. Apr 12, 2017 at 6:48 PM
    cware2

cware2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    Bruceton Mills, WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD OR
    Got an extang cover on my '16 and a rugged liner on my '15...both are hard tri fold similar to the Toyota tonneau cover...a heavy rain or wash will result in the inside of the bed getting wet...but, it's a truck bed and I still think they're both excellent products...as stated above your best option is to get water tight tubs

5. Apr 12, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    Crownline18

Crownline18 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma
    I just put a Gator SR1 Roll-up on tonight and was disappointed to see the gap between the rear rail and tailgate. Gator puts a rubber strip on to help keep the rain out but you can stick your hands right in the bed and release the cover. Oh well, it looks great.

6. Apr 12, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    Arlaghan

Arlaghan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Sell it and recoup some of your money.

specter208, big_jarv, 9TRDTCO and 2 others like this.
  7. Apr 12, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    Killowatt

Killowatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Foam weather stripping should take care of most of it, just find where it's needed.

8. Apr 14, 2017 at 5:03 AM
    Hagendazsss

Hagendazsss Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 3.5 4x4 sr dcsb
    make sure the tonneau clicks twice when you close it. 1 initial one to lock then another click to seal

specter208 likes this.
  9. Apr 18, 2017 at 6:49 AM
    Loudog504

Loudog504 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 DCLB
    I paid 1400 for a Pace Edwards full metal jack rabbit and that thing was terrible at keeping water out. Any hard rain and the cover leaked in from the rails like a waterfall. Same excuse was given to me that it wasnt designed to be waterproof. Was finally able to return it though. No point in having a cover if everything gets wet anyway.

10. Apr 18, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    Arlaghan

Arlaghan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    I've all but given up on a waterproof solution. Whatever I put back there, it's with the idea that I've only got an umbrella over it. I cover my bed for other reasons: mainly "out of sight, out of mind" storage and to keep jerks from tossing their McD trash back there.

CusterFan likes this.
  11. Apr 18, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    LivinOnEdge

LivinOnEdge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Land of The Lost
    Vehicle:
    Four wheels and a refrigerator
    I make sure all the clips are snapping into place but pushing down with some some of my weight. Take it through car washes (empty of course) and never see a spec of water inside the bed. But of course this is my experience.

12. Apr 18, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    jnw32

jnw32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    265/75/16 KO2s, SR5 Grille, TRD Pro skid plate, Husky X-Act Contour floor mats, Carhartt front seat covers, de-stickered, partially de-badged, Bilstein 5100s with one inch rear block
    My main reason to get a cover is to keep things dry in the bed. The makers saying it isn't supposed to is BS.

I have an aftermarket one (Undercover Flex) that leaks by the cab. The main reason for the leak is how the bed is put together by the cab at the corners. There is a gap there. I have sealed it some, but need to crawl up in there with the cover closed to find the remaining gaps and seal them. For now, my solution was to get an OEM bed mat so that the water comes in and then goes under the mat to keep things on top of the mat dry. Works pretty good.

CusterFan likes this.
  13. Apr 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Tonneau covers are not going to be waterPROOF, they will be water resistant. It's ignorance to expect anything else, no matter what the marketing information says. It should be dry enough to keep tools and stuff in but I wouldn't carry anything that absolutely can not get wet under any circumstance.

That said I have an Undercover 4020 (I think thats the number) and it keeps stuff pretty much dry. Might be some drips in a deluge, but I wouldn't hesitate to put my camera gear or sleeping bags back there. It might get a tiny bit damp, but not wet.

vssman likes this.
  14. Apr 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    @3legacy

It's not just the cover. If you look at the bed you will see gaps. Commonly in the rear where the plastic meets the metal. So seal those and get a good quality tailgate seal. You will probably be fine after that. You'll probably never find a tonneau that is 100% waterproof. A hard cover that mounts over the rails and tailgate is the best option for that.

Mtn Mike and CusterFan like this.
  15. Apr 18, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    LivinOnEdge

LivinOnEdge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Land of The Lost
    Vehicle:
    Four wheels and a refrigerator
    Unless someone who doesnt know what their doing installs it without weather stripping. I read a lot about those nightmares here on TW.

16. Apr 18, 2017 at 10:50 AM
    jnw32

jnw32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    265/75/16 KO2s, SR5 Grille, TRD Pro skid plate, Husky X-Act Contour floor mats, Carhartt front seat covers, de-stickered, partially de-badged, Bilstein 5100s with one inch rear block
    I had a cover on my last truck, a Nissan Titan. It was a vinyl tri-fold. It was pretty much water proof, maybe a few drips under a high pressure wash. I could definitely put things in the bed that I couldn't get wet.

17. Apr 18, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    jmdwifi

jmdwifi My Inferno

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    See profile
    I was thinking about selling my OEM cover but after reading this, I'm not so sure. I've been lucky. So little water gets in, I've left my laptop bag back there for days.

18. Apr 20, 2017 at 6:34 PM
    tomz3rdtoy

tomz3rdtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    '16 White DBL Cab ORSB 6MT
    Icon f/r, add-a-leaf, SR8 w/285/75-16 BFG KO2
    My experience has been it keeps things mostly dry. I wash my truck at the auto car wash weekly. I guess I'm lucky too. I think the night/flashlight test should reveal the culprit(s)

19. Apr 21, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    oilslick

oilslick Slicker than shnot!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Big John
    northeast Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC 4x4 Sport
    Light Bar w/4 KC Off Road lights,
    I had an Extang Trifecta soft tonneau on my '14 Ram and I NEVER had water in the bed. This OE hard tonneau that came with my Tacoma lets water in during a lousy rain shower. I wouldn't want to look inside if I ever power washed it with a pressure washer.

:annoyed:

20. Sep 25, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    Yoda78

Yoda78 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    New England
    If Toyota told you when you were purchasing the tonneau cover that it wasn’t waterproof would you have bought it? Because I sure wouldn’t have, especially for the $675 price tag. I had a 2002 Dodge Dakota with a factory tonneau that cost around the same price as this crappy Toyota one and it never leaked. Toyota made an inferior product that they won’t stand behind. Plain and simple.

Products Discussed in

To Top