1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Using Canada as a shortcut

Discussion in 'Travel' started by nermalgod, May 13, 2009.

1. May 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    In less than a month I'm heading East and was thinking that it would be less stressful and shorter if I drove through Canada instead of the States.

What kind of issues might I have. I'll have a bunch of food for a three week trip, but it's not like I'm staying in the country, I'm just passing through. My other big worry is that I'll be pulling a trailer with about a dozen canoes on it. The canoes won't be mine, and I'm not selling them, but they are also not registered. The trailer won't be mine either.

I won't have any meat, booze, cigarettes, or firearms with me.

Anyone have experience with using Canada as a shortcut?

2. May 19, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    nermalgod

nermalgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    Can anyone spare a minute to offer some advice?

3. May 19, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char

I don't think its about someone 'sparing a minute' as much as the fact that you are throwing out some variables that most have no experience with and would complicate any answer / advice.

"My other big worry is that I'll be pulling a trailer with about a dozen canoes on it. The canoes won't be mine, and I'm not selling them, but they are also not registered. The trailer won't be mine either"

Most people i know have the sense not to test the border with these types of things as they only tend to complicate the entering into and passage through a foreign country.

Canada is especially sensitive to the thought you might be entering the country to take work or money out of the pockets of their merchants or workers and as a result, their Governments. Your above highlighted statement could certainly be percieved as doing just that, from the standpoint of the person interviewing you at the border.

4. May 19, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Shortcut? I prefer to use Canada to keep the sun out of my eyes.
    420.jpg

Seriously though, how much of a shortcut is it and would it be worth losing everything you're hauling to cut down that amount of time on the road? Consider risk/reward and make a determination based on that.

5. May 19, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    How much time are you going to save by going through Canadia?

6. May 19, 2009 at 7:19 AM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    I don't think bringing the canoes through is a problem. The first question I have is, does everyone in the vehicle have a valid passport? With the new tighter homeland security regulations you can enter Canada without one, but they won't let you back in on the American side without a passport. Which I know sounds like complete BS, but that's what they did.

This answers your question about food, people cross the border with RV's all the time with fridges full of food, it's not a problem.
    http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/planning/border/food_canada.htm

Crossing the border is really not a big deal, I live about 45min off the Peace Bridge out of Buffalo on the Canadian side and cross the border at least once a month. We usually cross with the RV at least 3 times a year. Coming home is never an issue and going to the US is typically not one either.
    The worst thing we had happen was have a US border officer take a $25 prime rib out of our freezer (NO Canadian beef can enter the US with a private individual - MAD COW BS). I wasn't about to tell her that I purchased the roast at Publix in Florida and it had been there since my last trip. It had Publix written all over it! LOL

What route are you planning on taking?

7. May 19, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    Dennis69

Dennis69 Active Member

Member:
    Cape Breton,Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 access SR5
    it'll take you more time to travel east..a;ot more time. when you get to the border with all them canoes...they won't let them in becuase they will believe your gonna sell them here..as much as we love the tourists stay state side!!

8. May 19, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    It can be a real time saver, but my buddy has a few cottages in Crystal Beach and they do the work on them themselves, seeing as they own one of the bigger construction companies in Western New York.

Unless you are working on your own property, they really frown on you bringing tools across the border, and they want to see documentation for things like the Canoes and trailer. Driving back with his (my friends) Explorer they treated me like i stole the vehicle due to his registration not being in there. I had to convince them it was not stolen, which took a bit of time.

9. May 19, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    Navigator

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    The border is such a pain in the A$$!!!!

Just make us the 51st state and get on with it. :eek:

10. May 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    That's a good idea.

11. May 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I want to say that Canada has some pretty strict speeding laws. I presume you won't be speeding with a trailer full of canoes, but it is something you should consider.

12. May 19, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    I would call the boarder patrol. I never had much of an issue going into canada its the people working the boarder letting you back into the states.

13. May 19, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    Navigator

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    Not really, but if you go 50km/h over the posted limited they consider it street racing and you get your license suspended and you're slapped with a $10,000 fine. You can run around at 10-15km over on rural roads and not get bothered.

14. May 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    That's 6-10 mph and roughly the same leiency here depending on the area and cops mood.

To Top