1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

using gas generator in severe weather

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by mccarroll, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    bmpskir

bmpskir Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dover, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport DCLB 4.0 auto
    I have a generator and have to run it a lot - always loosing power... if you have your panel or the plug in the garage the easiest is just open the door and put it facing out...

if you feel you must, just build a 3 walled shed off the back of the garage with roof - make one of the walls on hinges so it can open and close...

2. Feb 4, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I actually bought mine set up to run propane, it's a nice setup! They're quieter and the exhaust doesn't hardly smell at all.

3. Feb 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    Heck yea! when I have a house im gonna setup one. They even make a carb. flange for engines as small as the Honda GX25. I always use to think propane engines were some special design or something...turns out its just a manifold flange and a regulator! Considering we use to drive propane forklifts around indoors when I worked at the hope depot, the fumes of NG or LP gotta be less polluting. I'd like to know the cost per Watt of LP and NG vs Gasoline. Would have to be cheaper for NG anyways.

4. Feb 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I built a small shed for mine. It uses attic vents on two sides and the door. The roof is hinged to allow starting and servicing. It also locks to prevent theft. Weather has been no problem. It stays plenty cool while the generator is running, winter or summer.

The siding is 3/4" T111 and the roofing is aluminum sheet metal. The downside is that the roof is so heavy that I had to install counterweights so the wife could lift it.

5. Feb 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    fishbomb

fishbomb Well-Known Member

Member:
    nh
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    bilstien coil overs add aleafs With bolstiens in rear, mickey thompson mtz tires 285/75r16 on 16x8 dick cepek dc2 wheels. Hella black magic 500 lights up front.
    Check your local code, many states have safe operating distance requirements. Call your state fire marshal or code enforcement office

6. Mar 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    I am going to blow your mind here...but for $40 at BJ's (when they are on sale) get a heavy duty resin folding table...I have one that I put over my generator and it's perfect. It's waterproof and high enough that it doesn't get hot..You can store the propane and the generator under the table. I actually can slip it just under the horizontal frame of my patio railing so it fits perfect...
    Take a look at one and see what you think...
    http://www.bjs.com/alera-resin-30-x-72-folding-table---platinum.product.204079?dimId=2001453
    They also have them on Amazon...but wait for when they go on sale for 1/2 price...and when the storm ends you fold the table and put it away..bonus you have an extra table for parties etc...
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top