1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Utah to Prudhoe Bay Trip Advice

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Gunshot-6A, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Dec 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Technically you are allowed to cross border to travel to Alaska, but can only cross at certain border points, and must make every effort to travel through by direct route, no sight seeing. $1200 fine each time you get caught not following the directions given. Plus some locals will be giving you the stink eye. Not worth it. Pretty sure Alaska frowns on tourists from the lower 48 as well right now.

Gunshot-6A[OP] likes this.
  2. Dec 22, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    AKHawkeye

AKHawkeye Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    15 AC Sport 4x4 6 Spd
    Locked as stock
    Having known people who came up this summer. It's a real bitch getting through. You pretty much have to be an Alaskan resident and have proof of a dire need to travel through the country to get to Alaska or the L48. AKA an essential worker/critical infrastructure. If you don't fall under either, they turn you away with the advice of shipping your vehicle via 1-2 week barge out of Tacoma, WA and flying up.

Besides, nobody wants to come to Alaska. We're a hotbed right now. The fierce independence that draws people to, and makes people Alaskan, is not working out for our general public favor at the moment.

Fohu and Gunshot-6A[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 22, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Taco Pat

Taco Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I’m sorry to hear that man -hope you’re able to make it up that way next summer

4. Dec 22, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    We'll see what's in the cards. Not holding my breath. Maybe a nice week in Baja instead this spring.

Taco Pat[QUOTED], VE7OSR and RyanL like this.
  5. Jan 2, 2021 at 7:55 AM
    LstMinutePanic

LstMinutePanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black Tacoma OR DCLB AT
    Oof... The wife and I are moving from Colorado to Anchorage at the end of January. We both accepted jobs with the federal government (BLM and NOAA). Three pets, two cars, one loaded cargo trailer, one global pandemic, plus winter conditions... not a fun situation. Considering everything, we plan on having all of our paperwork handy at all times (passports, job offers, housing contract, negative COVID tests, pet vaccines, etc.), And with the pets, we want to get there as fast as possible.

Hopefully we don't run into any issues as taking the ferry or having things shipped then flying costs an insane amount of money.

6. Jan 2, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Make sure you plan your route,specifically which border crossing is open to you. If you can show the cdns your plan to get to Anchorage, that will definitely help. They are generally pretty reasonable. Make sure you declare any weapons you have. Long guns are not a problem, but handguns will be,and you'll have to make alternate shipping arrangements for those. Do not have any handgun ammo with you, or they will tear everything apart looking for the handgun(s).

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/0...an-border-into-alaska-just-got-even-stricter/

7. Jan 2, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Pets will be no issue. If you choose the Osoyoos crossing, I am very familiar with the Hwy 97 route all the way to Dawson Creek; feel free to ask questions, or if you want any input on other route through Alberta as well. I spent many years of my former career on highways to get to forestry mills in the US and Canada in all seasons.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    LstMinutePanic likes this.
  8. Jan 2, 2021 at 4:26 PM
    LstMinutePanic

LstMinutePanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black Tacoma OR DCLB AT
    I definitely appreciate the input. So far, we're pretty confident about the route, driving, and paperwork; but I may come knocking on TW's AK door for some advice if something comes up. It really is a great community of mostly strangers.

Honestly, I think that the biggest headache is going to come from having the pets cooped up most of the time in the car and then a hotel room. We'll try to find an hour or so of daylight each day to play.

9. Jan 2, 2021 at 7:45 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    I used to travel with my Alaskan malamute on my work trips in his later years. Never had a problem finding a motel that would accept a dog. I would camp a fair bit as well, just because I preferred it.

10. Jan 3, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    AKHawkeye

AKHawkeye Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    15 AC Sport 4x4 6 Spd
    Locked as stock
    I'm sure you're well familiar, but with pets in winter make sure you plan your trips accordingly. Make sure in advance which hotels will accept them. But more importantly which hotels are still open and are accepting non residents. I'm unfamiliar with how businesses and residents are taking to people coming through, I imagine it won't be a problem.

11. Jan 3, 2021 at 8:27 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    I never had any problems with handgun ammo in the truck. I always had a typed out list of all the firearms and ammunition/gun powder/primers in the truck that I gave the customs agent and never once had them even look in the bed. Just a quick walk inside to fill out the firearm paperwork, pay the fee and then on about my way.

VE7OSR[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 3, 2021 at 8:43 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Key element that you declared everything. If they had observed handgun ammo, and you did not declare any, that will pretty much guarantee a search.

crazysccrmd likes this.
  13. May 23, 2022 at 7:08 PM
    Unner

Unner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    01 4Runner 4x4, 08 4Runner 4x4
    2001 4Runner, Lifted, Armored, 33s 2008 4Runner Stock
    @Gunshot-6A

Did you ever end up making this trip? It sounds like it didn't work out. I'm in the same boat as you were, Alaska is the only state I haven't been to now. It's the only state I haven't driven my 01 4Runner to other than Hawaii obviously. I've been wanting to go to Alaska this summer, but gas prices may keep me home. We'll see.

I got a lot of good info reading through this thread. If I go I was planning about 17 days from the southern Canadian border to Alaska and back. Then about a week getting to the border and back while working remotely.

10k miles at 17 mpg is going to hurt though...

Gunshot-6A[OP] and VE7OSR like this.
  14. May 23, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Canadian to US dollar exchange is still about 25% in your favour, but fuel prices in Canada higher by 40%

Utah $4.30/ us gal.
    BC $2.03/ liter
    3.78L/US Gallon
    $cdn2.03/Liter * 3.78L/gal = $cdn 7.67/gal = $US 5.99/gal.

7000 miles/ 17mpg = $2500 in fuel. Budget price of fuel north of Fairbanks to be double.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Gunshot-6A[OP] and Unner like this.
  15. May 23, 2022 at 7:42 PM
    Unner

Unner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    01 4Runner 4x4, 08 4Runner 4x4
    2001 4Runner, Lifted, Armored, 33s 2008 4Runner Stock
    Based on gas prices right now and using the GasBuddy trip estimator I'm thinking it would be about $2,700 USD to go the 10k miles round trip since I'm starting in Alabama. Not as bad as I was expecting, but who knows where prices will end up. I'd try to camp just about every night as well. It would just be me and my dog along for the ride.

16. May 23, 2022 at 7:50 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Not hard to find places to camp, the proportion of crown land to private land is much more in your favour north of the border. Forest Recreation sites are minimalistic, and most are no or low cost thru summer. Provincial campgrounds are better amenities but expect to budget $10 to $20/ night. CB radio not much use here, truckers use VHF FM in Canada, VHF mobile is necessary on active logging roads if your travelling weekdays into recreation sites. Logging trucks are rolling between 2am and 3pm typically, pending distance to mill/sort yard. Also some roads are access for mines. Very wise to have the radio for the Dalton highway, as it is much more an industrial road, versus a public highway. Very few guard rails, or warning signs, and wildlife have the right of way.

17. May 24, 2022 at 7:30 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A [OP] Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Nope. My silly self got a sudden promotion at work and successfully bought a house 2 weeks before I was supposed to leave, then COVID hit and here we are.

Still pondering the idea or a modification of an interior loop, but like yourself, the price of gas is really killing my urge to rack up the miles in a hurry. That and I'm pondering trading in my Duke and buying an adventure bike next moto season, so I know I'll be tempted to take that instead.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    uurx likes this.
  18. May 24, 2022 at 10:22 PM
    skierd

skierd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 XL STX Screw 4x4 2.7
    Just take the Duke I say… braaap!

1F3FEA6C-561C-44FC-BF7F-E796AA42A85B.jpg

Fwiw gas is right around $5 in Fairbanks right now.

19. Sep 16, 2022 at 6:14 PM
    nwasierski

nwasierski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt lake City
    Vehicle:
    1998 purple Tacoma
    I love this drive. Did you stop at Liard Hot Springs

Products Discussed in

To Top