1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Utility trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by arsonhntr, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Aug 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    arsonhntr

arsonhntr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD sport spdway "blue"
    Im lookin at getting a utility trailer to haul my daughters stuff back from Alabama. I like the all aluminum ones because they're lighter and less maintenance. The trailers I'm lookin at are 5x8 and 6x10. Pros and cons on steel or aluminum. Will be hauling boxes, clothing baby toys etc. I know price is higher for aluminum but is it worth while in the long run?

2. Aug 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    ACBWV91

ACBWV91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Charleston/Motown WV
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4
    Unless you need the extra few pounds lighter to put more stuff on the trailer then id say get steel. Judging by the baby clothes and boxes, id say no and go for steel. I havent been impressed by the ones made of angle iron so id look for a square tubing.

What part of WV are you from?

3. Aug 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    if you get a 5x8 id say it wont matter much. but if a 6x10 id say get aluminum.

4. Aug 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    arsonhntr

arsonhntr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD sport spdway "blue"
    All the ones I've seen are the angle iron type, not really impressed with the construction. There are a couple of places near fairmont wv that have both alum and steel, might stop in there and check'em out. I'm near Huntington but travel thru there a lot. Need to head down to Alabama again soon, may see if there is something along the way and get one when I'm there. I like the aluminum cause of the light weight but the price diff makes it "heavy"!

5. Aug 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got a 5x10 galvanized. Stength of steel but galvanized for corrosion resistence. As mentioned above, for a smaller trailer the little bit of weight you save with aluminum vs. steel, I don't think the extra money is worth it. I bought my trailer for $600 on craigslist. It's a Loadrite 5x10 and a good little utility trailer.

6. Aug 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i think Hustler trailers are a little north of knoxville TN. we have a open hustler tho. but got it like 15 min from here. ours is a 7x12 steel, rated at like 3k. i think we have had more than 3k on it a time or 2. very well made.

no idk what they have as far as inclosed trailers. but maybe worth checking them out.

7. Aug 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '19 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD OR
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
    I've had lots of trailers in the past and maintenance is a big issue with me. I do NOT want to be scraping and painting a steel trailer every couple of years and even the galvanized trailers I've owned have had some rust. I decided to try aluminum. Here's the Aluma 548 (54" wide x 8' long) I bought some months ago.

[​IMG]

8. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i have the best trailer in the world..a FRIEND's trailer!!

it is a steel. tows great. i used it for all my yard work. i will also be towing it to Idaho for a hunting trip. whatever you buy, you could probably sell it for the same money.

Products Discussed in

To Top