1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VA home Loan process..

Discussion in 'Military' started by LAoffroadin, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mar 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    LAoffroadin

LAoffroadin [OP] BURY ME WITH MY TACO!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    ICON stage 5 coilers w/ ICON ucas, dakar leaf pack with Fox rears, k&n cai, LED cab light, raceline 16 inch wheels , toyo m/t 33",painted front yota emblem gloss white, retrofit headlights with mirrimoto 3 " lenses running the 6k headlights. Bhlm, bestopper, wet okole seat covers (max 4), weather tech mats,winch with piaa fogs. All pro apex front bumper. Sliders etc
    i need some help from anyone who knows how to apply and how to get accepted for a va loan,........

2. Mar 10, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    BattleStatic

BattleStatic Gluten Free

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Goodyear
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O.R. 4x4
    OME 885's w/Nitro Chargers and Dakar rear leafs ATX AX199 Mohave I I (0 offset, 4.5" bs) BFG KM2 285 75 16 Avid Sliders w/ kickoffs Pelfreybilt rack w/ Tepui RTT Katzkin front and rear Sunroof
    I did the same used USAA for my mortgage. Did you get your certificate from the VA that shows you are eligible? You just need to apply for that and show it to your lender. Check out this link, should help alot.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/eligibility.asp

3. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    The VA doesn't make home loans, it guaranties the lender the loan will be paid back. So you need to get on down to the local VA office (with DD 214 in hand) to apply for the VA home loan guaranty certificate. Then find a lender and apply for a home loan. Then, and only then, should you sign with a real estate agent.

4. Mar 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    FWIW ... USAA is one of the best ... if not the best ... to go through on your VA loan.

5. Mar 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    99% of it can be done online now. Utilized the USAA program as well once we got our eligibility certificate. We were pre-approved through USAA within a matter of days for our full amount we were budgeting. Went through four different agents (first 3 didn't click with) before we found an agent we liked.

In the end, after about 40-50 bids on different houses, we ended up ending
    our search because we decided we didn't want to stay in California for the long term. (our budget was low, at least for San Diego, and couldn't find one in decent enough shape to move into and fix up later). We will be using their program again once we start searching in Oklahoma (same budget=MUCH more house).

6. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Okay, I am behind the times, but the veteran home buyer needs to get the VA Certificate of Eligibility first. At the VA office, on line (ebenefits.va.gov) or USAA will help, but get the COE before shopping for a loan.

7. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    I've done it twice. First time is free and after that you are charged a percentage of the sale cost. But about the loan itself, go to va.gov and get your certificate of eligibility sent. From there, you can get the va backed loan most anywhere. You will also have to have the house appraised by a va certified person. They can get knit picky about things as well. If you are looking at a used house, keep that in mind.

8. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Done it 3 times, and just did an IRRL. (Interest Rate Reduction Loan. Your Bank should handle it. Good Luck!

9. Mar 12, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    BattleStatic

BattleStatic Gluten Free

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Goodyear
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O.R. 4x4
    OME 885's w/Nitro Chargers and Dakar rear leafs ATX AX199 Mohave I I (0 offset, 4.5" bs) BFG KM2 285 75 16 Avid Sliders w/ kickoffs Pelfreybilt rack w/ Tepui RTT Katzkin front and rear Sunroof
    You actually do not need to be separated from service to get your certificate so the DD-214 is not required if you're still wearing the uniform. Got mine before I got out then a few years later when we decided to get a house I resubmitted since the guarantee amount changed.

USAA is the best, everything is done online and they have a little tracking sheet online for you to follow and know exactly what you need to do and what they are doing. If you don't have an account with them I definitely recommend opening one.

10. Mar 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    LAoffroadin

LAoffroadin [OP] BURY ME WITH MY TACO!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 offroad 4x4
    ICON stage 5 coilers w/ ICON ucas, dakar leaf pack with Fox rears, k&n cai, LED cab light, raceline 16 inch wheels , toyo m/t 33",painted front yota emblem gloss white, retrofit headlights with mirrimoto 3 " lenses running the 6k headlights. Bhlm, bestopper, wet okole seat covers (max 4), weather tech mats,winch with piaa fogs. All pro apex front bumper. Sliders etc
    hey guys well thank for all the information!! i submitte4d my request for eligability with the va office online, not sure when i receive that documant but well see.

11. Mar 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
    sub,d!

I am thinking of buying my first home and was doing research online about the VA loan just now. Glad to have found good information on TW! I have USAA as well and plan on using them for the home loan.

12. Mar 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Shop Navy Federal for loans as well...I went thru USAA and am not entirely happy with the results. NavyFed-Better rates and better loan management I think...

13. Mar 12, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    I have heard good things about Navy Federal.

I used USAA and it couldn't have gone easier. My realtor and the seller's said it was the smoothest and easiest thing ever. Also, my parents have bought over a dozen homes in their time and they were shocked at how easy my experience was.

GL

14. Mar 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    found a home and purchased, awaiting close on escrow...

ended up stumbling across a place we liked after looking at quite a few different places (brand new home as well). didn't use the USAA program for this one but ended up going through them for insurance (cheapest for the best options). As far as the home loan, we ended up going through a home lending company (Cornerstone) and they handled the whole process for us. getting the VA loan through them was easy and painless. It ended up being an extra couple of forms and that was it.

Little known fact by many:

If you have a home and have a great interest rate, you can actually sell your home and it's mortgage to another veteran.

Example: You buy a place in Nowhereville and get orders somewhere else. Interest rates have doubled in the time that you have lived in Nowhereville. Another veteran with just as great credit as you can come in and assume your VA loan and continue the payments with the lower interest rate (as long as they qualify for the loan). You can actually make QUITE a bit of money off this if that happens.

Just make sure if this is going to be done that you talk to a knowledgeable lender and real estate agent so that way all the proper paperwork is done and you get your credit back to the VA (you are limited on amount of money on VA loans you can have out at a time).

Products Discussed in

To Top