1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VA Medical qualification question

Discussion in 'Military' started by BarcelonaTom67, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Dec 31, 2022 at 10:58 AM
    lit_taco4x4

lit_taco4x4 IG and YT: @lit_taco4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    JD fab LT, Archive and Deavers, King shocks, Dual locked, Dual T case, Tundra steering rack, 39’s
    That is not correct. If you have 0 rating - zero rating for let’s say an ankle injury, you do get medical benefits from the VA. You just won’t get compensated a monthly benefit. But definitely won’t have to pay a cent for that ankle to be taken care of. A 0 rating means the VA recognizes that you have it and the military service caused it. It’s just not enough in their eyes to compensate you to let’s say a 10 or 20 or 30 percent rating.

wilcam47 and iversonhof like this.
  2. Dec 31, 2022 at 11:25 AM
    GBourne

GBourne Just a regular guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Surprise, AZ.
    Vehicle:
    23 Ram 1500 Classic
    Dumped the Tacoma, that's all it needed.
    On paper, your explanation is 100% correct.

in the real world, especially with the current administrative policies, the chance of the OP getting any compensation or even a Service Connected 0 are slim.

but a toss at the dart board is always worth it with the VA, hence why I suggested that he start the process.

3. Jan 1, 2023 at 1:27 PM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    I read this whole thread, and I can give you this bit of advice. Once you get ahold on your DD214, through whatever means possible, get to your closest VA HOSPITAL --NOT clinic. and start asking for help. If you get no help in going in speaking to the normal intake reps, find out where the ""military service Orginazatios reps are. They usually have an office at most VA Hospitals. do this even if you can't find your DD214 -The Service Org's Reps will help you. (these are the people who represent Orgs like VFW, Americal Legion. and DAV) these guys and gals are there to help Vets who are having problems with dealing with the VA's "bureauracy". Also many of US States also have specialized VET orgs to help vets who can't figure out the system -check with your states Government home page.
    OK - next after getting documented insist on having your hearing checked out -If you did anything in the military that could have screwed up your hearing --this will be your ticket in. It was mine (ticket -in) with the help of The Service reps at my VA hospital (Columbia Mo). I worked the flight line on B-52's when the USAF did not care if you wore hearing protection or not. Start with these steps -- first you need to show to them you were a vet -and the Service Orgs Reps can help you fast-track this process.
    lastly if you need more personal help from me, please feel free to PM me. Good luck on your quest!
    DON't give up in you quest by listening to "naysayers"!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    wilcam47 and Yetimetchkangmi like this.
  4. Jan 1, 2023 at 1:29 PM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    YOU do not have to join any of these ORGS to get help from them-PERIOD!
    Let me edit here -- USAA is not a service oriented NOT FOR Profit they are an insurance company that only sells to Vets and their extended families. VFW and DAV are there to help vets -not to sell them stuff for profit.

wilcam47 and DES2009 like this.
  5. Jan 1, 2023 at 2:07 PM
    DES2009

DES2009 Minister of Truth

Member:
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Limited
    I'm a Millionaire! One Million Posts!!
    You haven't stated your age, or any disability you may have. But you'll be eligible for (almost forced into) MediCare a year or two or 3 before you're eligible for (full) Social Security. If you take early SS than that changes things of course.

6. Jan 2, 2023 at 9:03 AM
    USMILRET

USMILRET Tacoma Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998, 2007 and 2020 Tacoma
    Correct you don't have to join the American Legion, VFW or USAA to receive any VA benefits. Get your DD214 and your military medical records or a nexus letter from a doctor stating that you have a service connected injury and apply for a claim.

7. Jan 2, 2023 at 3:01 PM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Are you sure a letter from a civilian doctor would qualify one? I think they (the VA) will have to determine eligibility. I may be wrong on this.

8. Jan 3, 2023 at 2:14 PM
    Dschiz

Dschiz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport (Super White)
    Factory 2-inch lift kit with Toyota Heritage Grille. Added some heritage color tri-color vinyl to hood and rear.
    OP- PLEASE click on this link Eligibility For VA Health Care | Veterans Affairs and get familiar with VA Health Care. Remember, health care and VA disability claims are two different things. If you have a hard time navigating the web site on health care and if you are close to a VA clinic or hospital, stop by the eligibility section (bring DD-214) and ask away...they will give you the answers you desire.

Write down your questions and take notes during your conversation.

Also, here is an excellent forum that I used when I retired from the Navy. Tons of information on all topics relating to veterans! Veterans Benefits Network - Vets Helping Vets Since 2002 (vetsbenefits.net)

wilcam47, ricphoto, Crunch11b and 3 others like this.
  9. Jan 4, 2023 at 3:05 AM
    BarcelonaTom67

BarcelonaTom67 [OP] Lost in Translation....

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Laurel County, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Off-Road DCSB M/T
    I will be 56 in April of this year (2023). I do have a couple disabilities, but I can't imagine they would be service connected, as the first one didn't happen until 19 years after I ETS'd.

I am not trying to file any claims with the VA, I was merely wondering if VA healthcare for myself and my wife would cost anything, or if it might be cheaper than "Obamacare" when I get to the point of no longer being able to work full time and therefore get healthcare insurance through an employer. Just thinking ahead, for probably another 15 - 20+ years.

I do really appreciate all the very good info you all have shared.

10. Jan 4, 2023 at 2:26 PM
    ThaiChillyTaco

ThaiChillyTaco David aka Chilly aka Booty Freak

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Goose Creek - South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey TRD Off-road 4x4 Longbed
    Rough Country 3.5 Lift SCS BR6 wheels rolling in 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks
    I'm pretty sure the VA doesn't medically cover any vet with a DD-214. Especially if you don't have
    any documented service injury resulting in some type of VA approved disability. Shit Tri Care Reserve
    for 20 year retirees doesn't even start until we are all close to death anyway. :rofl:

BarcelonaTom67[OP] and Kwikvette like this.
  11. Jan 4, 2023 at 2:29 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Yep, shouldn't take away from those of us who actually got hurt in action!

I didn't read the OP's ordeal so my comment has nothing to do with him and his situation, but there are way too many people abusing the system getting a rating they don't actually deserve or rate for just for a paycheck and some benefits.

ricphoto and BarcelonaTom67[OP] like this.
  12. Jan 4, 2023 at 2:35 PM
    ThaiChillyTaco

ThaiChillyTaco David aka Chilly aka Booty Freak

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Goose Creek - South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey TRD Off-road 4x4 Longbed
    Rough Country 3.5 Lift SCS BR6 wheels rolling in 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks
    Shit I served in the Reserves with a body builder who was trying to milk the VA for a disability rated for
    a busted up shoulder that supposedly happened on a deployment. Dumbass wanted to go one last deployment
    to get at E-7 pay and got kicked out thanks for being too greedy. Medical Doctors were like

"Bro, you can't have a busted up shoulder if you are a body builder posting videos on social media lifting weights.
    And you definitely don't deserve disability. And you definitely don't get to deploy with a messed up shoulder."

So the Reserves gave him the boot and he lost his retirement. Dumb ASS

13. Jan 4, 2023 at 2:46 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    Ooooh shit :rofl:

Good! I hate MF'ers like that.

Sure someone joins the military, but most jobs are admin anyway...just like a regular job.

Can't truly believe that many people come out a disability...and to come out with 40-50%?

Wtf.

wilcam47 and Crunch11b like this.
  14. Jan 7, 2023 at 1:03 PM
    USMILRET

USMILRET Tacoma Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998, 2007 and 2020 Tacoma
    I believe that is what a nexus letter is. A Nexus letter is from a Civilian doctor who tells the VA that the injury ocurred on while on active duty. This Nexus letter is what the VA uses to determine a "service connection" for that injury.

15. May 24, 2023 at 7:39 PM
    Bluepig

Bluepig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy "Pig"
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma Ex Cab 6.4 bed
    None
    First step is to talk to the American Legion and get your intent to file letter started. That sets the clock in motion. If you get a rating, you are only back dated/payed to the filing date, not your discharge date.

Depending upon your rating determines the type and depth of your coverage. I've heard 50% called the magic percentage, because at 50% they pretty much cover everything except dental and hair cuts. Unless you are determined to be 100% your ratings can and will be reviewed from time to time. My daughter was 80% at discharge from her Afghanistan instance, but after 8 years they downgraded her to 70%.

When I had the VA do my C4-7 fusion I was only 50% and I did not see a single bill. Now I'm at 70% with a recent review to 80%. I've not had the VA tell me no on any procedure I've had or undergone, my prescriptions are covered, my vision is covered, my hearing loss is covered. For years I worked with disabled vets and never considered myself as disabled, but after my adult kids (all served or are serving) telling me I needed to file I finally did after being out for 33 years. I filed and was shocked to learn of their determination, and subsequent reviews and increases. My jumping accident, getting cut up by a Jamaican National with a machete, getting GERD while overseas, drowning (lung damage), breaking up my left side, high frequency hearing loss, and a couple other minor issues are all rated. The cumulative rating is not simple math, but you'll figure that out (50+20+10+10+10+10 does not equal 110%, it equals 71% but they round both up and down. If you have a combined rating of 54% they count that as 50%)

I'd suggest you file, and even if they rate you at 0% you still have a base. Your discharge medical form that accompanied your DD-214 is very important. I too was a paper discharge, but I filed my 214 and medical with the county courthouse where I was discharged, so they had microfiche copies (since digitized) had I not kept my originals. I also understand they wont give ratings to people who have lower than General Discharge, and more from the rumors is that that discharge has to be upgrade-able to Honorable?

Best of luck, and I wish you well brother.

ridefreak likes this.
  16. May 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    Jusy throwing this back out there.

If you don't have service connected disabilities, do the rest of us a favor and do not apply.

wilcam47 likes this.
  17. Mar 17, 2024 at 8:55 AM
    ridefreak

ridefreak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    minor tweaks
    Not sure about the OP but things have changed for allot of service members with the PACT act when it comes to the VA. I recently went through the complete process, got my VA card and their healthcare along with a disability rating of 30% based on conditions that were diagnosed during my time in service. When I retired in '06 I had no intention to using the VA, I felt that was for the guys who spent a large part of their time in a war zone and got hurt doing it. I have Tricare for life since I was in for 22yrs and I'm eligible for medicare next year so why do I even care about the VA? The primary reason for contacting them was I wanted the VA to pay for hearing aids, I had documented hearing degradation during my time in (APUs will kill your hearing) and didn't feel that I should be paying for the hearing aids. I made a copy of my medical record prior to retirement which helped me construct my claim years later.

The service organizations that I used to help vets make claims wasn't much help for me, they pointed me at the right forms and helped me file the intent to claim but that's it and in my case that wasn't needed. It's probably a reflection of the office I went to more then the organization. I eventually decided to go directly to the local VA hospital with my DD214 and ask for their help. They were great, the process took off at that point and a few months and a few visits later I received a 30% rating. If one's service record shows that you served in some of the designated forward areas you qualify to be considered for the PACT act and that alone will get you in the system and looked at allot differently then someone who didn't deploy. They were able to look that info up right there at the VA without requesting my records from St. Louis (my unit documented my time in the Gulf) They'll still need the service records but that got the process rolling.

I can say unequivocally that my medical care has improved drastically with the VA compared to a "wellness" doctor assigned to me at our local health care system. My wife who has decent medical care (medicare and Tricare) is jealous of the care I get with the VA. The people are friendly and often vets themselves. For me there's a copay with the VA for wellness and non service related care, I'm pretty sure that's waived if someone qualifies for low income. The OP should take his DD 214 to the nearest VA hospital and be prepared to talk about any conditions that may have resulted from his time in the service. Nothing to loose by trying.

18. Mar 19, 2024 at 10:23 AM
    BarcelonaTom67

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Laurel County, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    I really stirred up the place with this post. Wasn't my intent, nor was I trying to see if I could get a VA disability rating or anything like that.

My intent was merely to find out if I could qualify for "general healthcare", not anything service connected, in case I ever found myself laid off and therefore with no health insurance. I just wanted to see if I needed a doctor visit for allergies, broken leg, general purpose annual physical, etc., until I found another job. That was all I was curious about.

Maybe I jinxed myself by starting this thread... as sure enough, I got laid off in October 2023, still haven't found another job, and I haven't had any health insurance since the beginning of the year. I had the option to continue the insurance from my (last) employer as COBRA, but with no job and no income, there was no way I could afford the $2400/month that was going to cost for my wife and I.

wilcam47 and lit_taco4x4 like this.
  19. Mar 19, 2024 at 10:34 AM
    lit_taco4x4

lit_taco4x4 IG and YT: @lit_taco4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    JD fab LT, Archive and Deavers, King shocks, Dual locked, Dual T case, Tundra steering rack, 39’s

I am sorry to hear about this. I may have some good news for you if you qualify. Please follow the link. It’s a new law that will hopefully help a lot of Veterans previously denied healthcare. It’s a shame it took this long but that’s for another topic. https://news.va.gov/press-room/vete...A announced that,care beginning March 5, 2024.

20. Mar 19, 2024 at 1:04 PM
    BarcelonaTom67

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Laurel County, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Many thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top