1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vagabond Drifter Camper Buildout and Mods

Discussion in 'Bay Area Metal Fabrication' started by MTNHABITOVERLAND, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Jul 7, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    socalexpeditions

socalexpeditions IG: @socalexpeditions

Member:
    I made a video on my Youtube that shows off the Drifter and the interior. I am not going to post the link here to keep the thread clean and not self promote, but I am just letting you know since many people from this thread have asked questions about the interior build.

To keep this Drifter related, here is the best decision I made. I added this anti-fatigue mat that I bought from Harbor Freight for $6 and threw it under the carpet. I cannot believe how much of a difference this thing made. Standing on bare wood having arched feet really hurt, and on my trip I constantly had foot pain and had to wear sandals inside. Finally, my feet don't hurt inside the camper.

IMG_3687.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. Jul 7, 2020 at 1:47 PM
    mhshark

mhshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, Or
    Does anyone have a strap or anything that they use that makes it easier to close the window from the interior? Smashed my finger pretty good after trying to close it while half asleep.

3. Jul 7, 2020 at 2:05 PM
    socalexpeditions

Member:
    I gotchu brother. Previous owner made this and I tried using a strap that dangled, but it was annoying to deal with and would slap you in the face while you were walking in/out. Just put this back in and it works so well.

2846DA2C-0BA5-4376-83F7-55B640612974.jpg

Eazy.E, Wackyhacky, tyfoon11 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jul 7, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    mhshark

Member:
    Bend, Or
    Genius! Thank you man

5. Jul 7, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    If you have lower back pain, replace the headrests. This is the leading cause of backpain for the Tacoma because you aren't able to angle your head far back enough it translates to an unaligned lower back causing issues regardless of lumbar support. I replaced my headrests with other Toyota Headrests from other cars and that resolved my issue along with many other folks.

6. Jul 7, 2020 at 5:43 PM
    Anderson

Anderson Dudemanbro

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    ProBro
    Stuff
    Interesting. I think I’m going to give this a try!

kalieaire[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 7, 2020 at 5:45 PM
    socalexpeditions

Member:
    Very interesting. How about leg pain? My right leg goes numb and I have to stop and stretch about every 2 hours.

MTNHABITOVERLAND[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 7, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    Kclamer

Kclamer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Konstantin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    2.5" lift, 4.88 gears
    I grab the latch on the right and pull the window down from the inside.

Anderson likes this.
  9. Jul 7, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    Mista_G

Mista_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    What about the headrest from the backseats... my wife likes it a lot lot lot more.

d.shaw likes this.
  10. Jul 7, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    snwbrdr852

snwbrdr852 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR V6 AT 4WD
    You had me excited for a minute there, but it's a no-go on 3rd gens because the rear headrest posts are slightly bigger in diameter... At least for double cabs.

11. Jul 7, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    kalieaire

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    Sciatica can be caused by different reasons for a lot of people. I'd talk to a doctor to figure out what's going on or maybe even a chiropractor. If you're sitting in a bad position for too long, some people experience pinched nerves, which is exactly what sciatica is a symptom of, but along where is a better question. A medical professional might suggest physical therapy, an inversion table, a standing desk, or simply more exercise.

I do know that when I first got my truck, it wasn't a big deal just driving around locally or through my hour long commute, but when I started driving to LA in the truck every other weekend for six months, it started taking its toll. I never had this issue w/ my xB or my girlfriend's Corolla at the time. It was also super comfortable in these two passenger cars to just put the seat back at a rest stop and knock out for the night. So I thought, what if the headrests fit?

I did the swap. I found out that passenger car headrests from Lexus and Toyota were always comfortable (The lexus ones being extra cushy since some models could be angled back and forth).

With these headrests, I've done 650 mile 11hr sprints in the truck stopping only for gas and piss, zero back pain.

My signature photo is from this specific trip -- The Bay Area to Salt Lake in one sitting.

Only if it fits. I found that most rear and front headrests were different or their application was different because they'd needed to be angled somehow.

But it sounds like that's a big fat no from @snwbrdr852.

12. Jul 7, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    Mista_G

Mista_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    yea sorry.my second gen rears fit in my fronts. My wife has been such a “great” critic of the seating. We have rear seat risers, seat jackers in the front and now she has the rear seat head rest.

we just did a Costa Mesa to pismo trip with our girls and she didn’t say a thing about her being uncomfortable. So...

I may have just found the golden ticket... (probably get some shit for a ten minute drive in about a week).

13. Jul 7, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    kalieaire

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    The most important thing is to be able to have the seat sit up straighter and to increase the gap between your head and the head rest(traint) so your neck can bend back further. This helps align the spine.

socalexpeditions likes this.
  14. Jul 7, 2020 at 10:11 PM
    socalexpeditions

Member:
    Very interesting. I sit up very straight, I will have to try the headrest trick. I’ve seriously debated even buying one of those pillows that fills the gap for my neck

15. Jul 8, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    ROOF FAN QUESTION

For those that have it, is there a way to tuck the tent to the sides and slide the platform forward to where the fan can be functional while the Drifter is closed? I'm imagining having ventilation with the cab window open and the fan running to keep temps down during the day so the fridge doesn't work so hard, things stay cooler, etc.

Wackyhacky likes this.
  16. Jul 8, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    mhshark

Member:
    Bend, Or
    I’ll snap a pic but yeah if I don’t slide the platform back to catch the tent material it sags on the sides and I believe the fan is totally unobscured.

JasonLee[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jul 8, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    Anderson

Anderson Dudemanbro

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    ProBro
    Stuff
    I know that the Fantastic fan model has a kill switch for the lid. Meaning if the lid is closed, it will not function. I know from experience that even having it slightly cracked, it will still not function. I’m sure you could override it, but you still wouldn’t be able to use it while in motion due to the orientation of the lid opening(facing forward). I have no experience with the MaxAir unit they are now using.

JasonLee[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jul 8, 2020 at 10:53 AM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    Benefit to a self install of a fan :) I also plan to hack the board so I have a reverse direction of the fan (should just need to reverse the polarity of the power).

Anderson[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jul 8, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    socalexpeditions

Member:
    Have pictures from your install? I'm about to cut a hole through my roof here very soon!

20. Jul 8, 2020 at 11:33 AM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad

Products Discussed in

To Top