1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vagabond Drifter Camper Buildout and Mods

Discussion in 'Bay Area Metal Fabrication' started by MTNHABITOVERLAND, Mar 27, 2018.

1. May 3, 2022 at 4:56 PM
    chetterthecat

chetterthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    OR
    Vehicle:
    spurt w drifter
    Whatever VB used. Seems burly to hold the 270°

2. May 3, 2022 at 5:03 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    It's definitely easier to steal an awning mounted with the STS brackets (or others).

3. May 3, 2022 at 5:36 PM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB TRD Locked 4WD & '17 Tundra DC SR5 TRD Offroad
    stock af, but hover if you think you disagree... RV living: Vagabond Drifter (6' bed) Custom bed cabinet buildout 175w Renogy solar panel 40a Rich Solar MPPT solar controller 1000w Wagan Pure Line inverter Lavaner Pro 2kw diesel heat exchanger Suspension/wheels: Toytec Aluma 2.5 front shocks with resis 13x700 coils (soon 14x700) Toytec Aluma 2.5 rear shocks SPC UCAs Deaver Stage 3 rear leaf springs Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops 18"x9" XD Monster (x5) 275/75/18 Cooper ST MAXX (x5) EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors Electronics: Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR Stubby Antenna No-name Switchback LEDs Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket Armor/recovery: BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker Interior: Husky Floor Liners (F&R) Rear 40% seat-delete Hinged fridge platform in place of rear seat Exterior: CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate (second iteration) Removed: OEM Bed Mat CaliRaised bed molle panels
    The STS brackets are great, but as you mentioned they're quick release and easy to remove. I would assume most people wouldn't even think of pulling tube the pin, but depending on where you spend your time.

I do not lock my propane tank, nor my swing out, and usually not even my tailgate or windoors. It's all about where you are, and how comfortable your feel there.

I used to lock my hi-lift and other externally-mounted bits with gun locks, but I don't bother anymore.

socalexpeditions likes this.
  4. May 3, 2022 at 7:34 PM
    Community

Community Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Victoria, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCLB
    I’m rocking the STS brackets with my awning. Previously I had an awning hard mounted to my roof rack and I never wanted to deploy it while it was raining because I knew I wouldn’t get a chance to dry it out after a trip. With the STS brackets I can easily pull it off the truck and dry it out in the garage. When I’m not camping I store it at home so I don’t have to worry about it getting stolen.

5. May 3, 2022 at 9:57 PM
    socalexpeditions

socalexpeditions IG: @socalexpeditions

Member:
    I didnt even think about that…Get home, pull the awning, get better MPG and it looks sleek. Silly me.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

6. May 3, 2022 at 10:12 PM
    bmf276

bmf276 Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OR
    100% this is the main reason why i ordered the STS brackets. awnings will be stored in the garage all the time except for when out on trips. I live in San Francisco and theft is ridiculous. being able to move the awning around from one side to another is just an added bonus.

socalexpeditions likes this.
  7. May 3, 2022 at 11:15 PM
    socalexpeditions

Member:
    Good thinking. I could use another pair of awning brackets on the passenger. Even having two awnings or something.

fastgherkin likes this.
  8. May 3, 2022 at 11:34 PM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    8 hour run time that would have been heaven on those AZ/UT nights in summer. Camped on the white rim a couple of years back it was 102 at midnight.

cobes, JasonLee[QUOTED] and surfjones like this.
  9. May 4, 2022 at 6:25 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    stock af, but hover if you think you disagree... RV living: Vagabond Drifter (6' bed) Custom bed cabinet buildout 175w Renogy solar panel 40a Rich Solar MPPT solar controller 1000w Wagan Pure Line inverter Lavaner Pro 2kw diesel heat exchanger Suspension/wheels: Toytec Aluma 2.5 front shocks with resis 13x700 coils (soon 14x700) Toytec Aluma 2.5 rear shocks SPC UCAs Deaver Stage 3 rear leaf springs Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops 18"x9" XD Monster (x5) 275/75/18 Cooper ST MAXX (x5) EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors Electronics: Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR Stubby Antenna No-name Switchback LEDs Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket Armor/recovery: BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker Interior: Husky Floor Liners (F&R) Rear 40% seat-delete Hinged fridge platform in place of rear seat Exterior: CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate (second iteration) Removed: OEM Bed Mat CaliRaised bed molle panels
    I'd suggest to get them on both sides and the rear. (unless you're going to hardmount on the rear to eliminate the water passage)

10. May 4, 2022 at 7:20 AM
    socalexpeditions

Member:
    My only problem would be with a 270, I couldn’t flip the awning orientation. This would work for the OVS 180 really well though..

11. May 4, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    surfjones

surfjones Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport 4x4
    This is the configuration I have on order, with the thought of having to park the truck towards the wind for the camper I could have the awning on either side.

12. May 4, 2022 at 8:14 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    Well, I would assume a 270 would make the STS mounts moot. The 270 mounts include a back-plate and whatnot, since they hold a lot more weight.

We usually keep ours on the driver side (swingout opens to the passenger side), but can move it around as we please. The STS mounts on the rear are great for quick deployment over the Drifter entrance, but you'll have to use a pool noodle (or similar) in wet conditions, as the awning will not make contact with the Drifter, allowing water to channel down to the rear window.

If your intent is to have a single (standard) awning, and move it around, then the STS mounts are the best option IMO.
    If you want heavier/non-standard awnings, then the hard-mounts with the extra reinforcements that Vagabond uses would be my suggestion.

I decided to save the weight/size, and avoid the 270 awnings, especially since deployment may be impacted by the area we're in. I may end up hard-mounting a 4' awning on the rear of mine, and only use the STS brackets on the sides, but for now floating my single awning around has been just fine.

I'm lazy and didn't go take a fresh pic, so this one's about a month old. Here you can see the depth of the brackets, so maybe the water comment above makes a little more sense.
    7WZ4pjnAROi1ht_Sdb4A5w.jpg

13. May 4, 2022 at 10:32 AM
    rob1208

rob1208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma DCSB MGM TRD OR
    TRD Supercharger AFE CAI ProDryS ADS 2.5 Remote Resi Shocks ADS Rear Piggy Back 10" Travel Shocks ADS 2.0 Rear Hydro Bump Kit Deaver U402 Leaf Pack + Add a Leaf MCM Fab Uniball UCAs TC Spindle Gussets BAMF 100% Bolt On Sliders BAMF 1/4" Steel Skid Trilogy BAMF Diff Diaper Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper with Warn VR10000-s Winch Brute Force Fab High Clearance Dual Swingout Rear Bumper Custom Car Grills Mesh Grill Insert Stealth Custom Series SR8 - Matte Black 16x8 285/75/16 Toyo Tires Open Country AT2 Relentless Fabrication Ditch Light Bracket Mounts 2x2 Ditch Lights Apex Fab Works Flush Lower Grill Light Bar Mounts Caliraised 32" Light Bar Tech Deck Extreme Vagabond Outdoors Drifter
    I have my 6ft on STS brackets on the passenger side but also have brackets on the rear. I travel with the awning on the passenger side but move it to the rear when camping / tailgating. As far as theft, I usually wrap a cable with lock around the STS bracket connection (a good pair of cutters will cut right thru but its enough of a deterrent). I tried to use a trailer tongue coupler lock but the one I got was 1/2" too short but otherwise would perfectly replace the retaining pin.

916TacoTruck and surfjones like this.
  14. May 4, 2022 at 10:42 AM
    socalexpeditions

Member:
    Which awning did you go with for the 180? (Others please feel free to chime in). I only have experience with the Rhino Rack Batwing and that thing was a royal PITA.

15. May 4, 2022 at 11:17 AM
    Miggypac

Miggypac Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OR AC
    Anybody else have the Roadhouse Tarp by Slumberjack? I've been using mine quite a bit. It's way lighter, way cheaper, covers more ground, and is more versatile (can angle it towards the wind/rain, use it as intended off the back of the truck, or rig it along one side). I bought a couple telescoping poles to aid the fixed ones it comes with and the thing is sweet. Yes, it takes more time to set up and there are guy lines to stake down but when I go camp I try to stay in a spot for more than a day so the time it takes to set up and break down is worth it imo. They also have one with a bug screen so you get a ~8'x10' bug free zone under the tarp.

dirtnsmores, ez_tacos and surfjones like this.
  16. May 4, 2022 at 1:17 PM
    BudLoomis

BudLoomis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-road
    Toytec Aluma Series 2.0 (2.5" x 3.5" lift), JBA UCA, Deaver stage 3 Leaf pack, CMC, Viair OBA set-up, KBVOODOO mid rack, Roofnest Condor RTT, CaliRaised Premium Roof Rack w/ 360 lighting, Custom Bed box w/ camp stove built in
    Does anyone know how I can purchase the wind deflector/ fan protector that Vagabond provides with their builds? I have emailed them and called them and cannot get a response.

TomHGZ likes this.
  17. May 4, 2022 at 3:45 PM
    cobes

cobes habitual line-stepper

Member:
    First Name:
    cobes
    slc
    Vehicle:
    2000 XtraCab TRD 3.4l Auto
    Y'all better be ready to see the comical clearance I'm about to get in my garage once I get this fan on.

But first I need help on understanding which way to orient the top piece in the second picture. I'm assume exactly how it is there, just straight up from the interior?

PXL_20220504_222426846.jpg
    PXL_20220504_222744832.MP.jpg

18. May 4, 2022 at 4:00 PM
    snwbrdr852

snwbrdr852 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB OR V6 AT 4WD
    Yep, that's right. Though you might have to trim it down if it's too deep compared to the thickness of the roof, or cut a slot for the wiring, etc.

And I was right there with you on comical garage clearance at my last place.
    I had to adjust the door to run further up the track, remove the trim around the garage door opening, and hug the side of the garage opening due to the concrete sloping down very slightly on that side, and then I could JUST squeak in.
    I actually have a couple little scrape marks on the fan lid from times when the tank was empty or whatever, haha.

BudLoomis likes this.
  19. May 4, 2022 at 6:49 PM
    smelly621

smelly621 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRDOR 6MT
    It's DLX son!
    Double check that the pins going into the connectors on the fan and the VO switch wiring are fully seated in the plastic connector portions. My fan stopped working on my third night and I found a loose connection up there.

Also, when you stuff the wiring under the cover be careful about routing, mine was pinched and had already worn through the insulation in one spot.

cobes likes this.
  20. May 6, 2022 at 3:37 PM
    tacomgee

tacomgee just ain't care....

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    NorCal - Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2015 Supercharged Taco
    Mostly whatever sweet stuff I can find at Vatozone
    If you’re talking about just a regular awning, just pick one. They are all pretty much the same. I have a frontrunner 6’ i move to either side or the back depending in where i want the cover.
    As far as mounting a 270 with STS type mounts that seems like a waste if it’s even an option. Those awnings are heavy as fck and I’m sure need a lot of support. I wouldn’t want one mounted that way just out of concern it would damage something. Awning or camper.
    Solid mount be the way for one of those

Products Discussed in

To Top