1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vagabond Drifter Camper Buildout and Mods

Discussion in 'Bay Area Metal Fabrication' started by MTNHABITOVERLAND, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Jan 4, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    for condensation or smells?

916TacoTruck likes this.
  2. Jan 4, 2019 at 9:56 AM
    rajacat9

rajacat9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Buy one and install it yourself.

3. Jan 4, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    tacomgee

tacomgee just ain't care....

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    NorCal - Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2015 Supercharged Taco
    Mostly whatever sweet stuff I can find at Vatozone
    Haha
    The smell of Coors light and shame is strong in the AM.

4. Jan 4, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    tacomgee

tacomgee just ain't care....

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    NorCal - Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2015 Supercharged Taco
    Mostly whatever sweet stuff I can find at Vatozone
    Yeah. I could.

But I’d rather leave cutting a giant hole in my roof to the pros at Vagabond. Water leaks are not something i want to deal with

Anderson, tyfoon11, MJonaGS32 and 3 others like this.
  5. Jan 4, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport BBP
    Kings, ARB Summit Bumper, SMittybilt Winch, vagabond Drifter, Prinsu Cabrac, Crusinoffroad slidersand rear bumper
    My parking garage is 7" 6" in height, i squeak under it with 1/2" to spare. This is with new kings and deavers. IT is so close I switch parking spots with a guy I know in my apt complex so there would be no risk of hitting the garage door.

Now having measured the garage door it is not truly at the height posted, it is about 3" lower, and the garage door hangs down about an inch lower. I'd say the actual clearance is about 7 feet.

6. Jan 4, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    Runt

Runt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interior of B.C.
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab Tundra and DCSB Tacoma, Lifted & Locked
    Bumpers, Rock Rails, Suspension, Lights, Leather, Tires, Rims, Stereo & Communication.
    After owning two Phoenix Pop Up Campers I have found the fantastic fans are well worth the money and effort if you cook in your camper. For every thing else opening the windows is adequate. The hugh down side is that the covers are very expensive & break easily by opening themselves due to the vibration from travelling rough roads. I found a solution by adding sticky sided bathroom door hooks around the vent and using a hair tie or elastic band looped around the vent crank mechanism handle and one of the hooks to keep it from vibrating open. If you plan on doing heavily brushed out trails or carry gear on your roof....especially kayaks or canoes I would not install one....you'll just break it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    tacomgee[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 4, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    OR4x4

OR4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB 4x4 TRD-OR Super White
    What mods do you have that affect height? Wheels/tires? Lift? Etc.

8. Jan 4, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Kings, ARB Summit Bumper, SMittybilt Winch, vagabond Drifter, Prinsu Cabrac, Crusinoffroad slidersand rear bumper
    Kings, deavers with a 3" lift (approx) and 1000lb capacity, BFG Ko2 34" tyre. My truck is shown in the other drifter thread as of about 10 mins ago

9. Jan 4, 2019 at 5:57 PM
    Overlanerd

Overlanerd Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Benicia
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 OR 6spd
    315/75 R16 Falken MT's, SCS Ray 10's, Vagabond Drifter pop-up camper, BAMF sliders, Relentless skids, BAMF bumper, winch, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Custom Alcan rear springs, King 2.5 coilovers w/ 700# springs, BAMF relocate kit with 12" Kings, Total Chaos UCA's, dual AGM batteries, kitchen sink & toilet (sold separately)
    Thank you for the order!

It is 31” without a fan and 33” with a fan. From the top of the bed caps. It mount using the bed rails, but the camper sits on top of the bed caps.

We are working to increase production, but will also be releasing the full size version soon. That will likely increase orders, so it’s hard to say if we’ll be able to get it down to 3 months in the near future. We’re stoked that orders are coming in, are not going to compromise on quality, and are growing the company sustainability. Grow fast methods haven’t yielded the best results for some customers and companies, and it’s definitely a balancing act we’re challenged with.

Not sure if 900 CFMs is enough for the shame, but we have the CL smell covered ;)

Sounds like a great solution! We looked at the Maxxair fan, which has two lift arms, but they don’t use the pancake motor that the Fantastic Fan utilizes. So only the high- top lid is available with the Maxxair. We use a low- profile lid. The deflector works well too. I drove into a carport and scraped the paint off the metal beam with the deflector. Fan and deflector were fine.

Dog Boy, tyfoon11, MJonaGS32 and 5 others like this.
  10. Jan 4, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    Jicka21

Jicka21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I measured from my bed caps (not rails as overlanerd confirmed) last night. I’m still confused by some comments where people have lifts and are around 7 feet but I ended up with the numbers below.

Caps were 51 inches from the ground so these were my totals:
    GFC: 80 inches or 6’8”
    Drifter: 82 inches or 6’10”
    Drifter with fan: 7’

Most parking garages in My area are right in that range but the one I care about for work is 6’10” and the sign looks pretty accurate.

I have a stock 2018 TRD Pro other than tires (ST Maxx 265/75/16).

11. Jan 4, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    If you don’t change the rear suspension you’ll probably lose an inch or so with the added weight. If you’re not planning on a lot of heavy offroad action you could add some airbags to better support the rear when needed and leave them deflated for getting in/out of parking garages.

Jicka21 likes this.
  12. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    OR4x4

OR4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    My biggest concern is that I may be moving to Portland this summer. I know that if I move I will be living downtown. I’ll get a motorcycle for transit in the city, but my condo’s garage needs to accommodate my DCLB by length and now also by height (with Drifter + fan).

I can’t measure any garage because I don’t have a place there yet. Unless there is a general average or standard in downtown Portland.

13. Jan 5, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    go measure the sign! also if the entry is not flat you will have less clearance fyi.

Anderson likes this.
  14. Jan 5, 2019 at 8:18 AM
    Runt

Runt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interior of B.C.
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab Tundra and DCSB Tacoma, Lifted & Locked
    Bumpers, Rock Rails, Suspension, Lights, Leather, Tires, Rims, Stereo & Communication.
    Thanks. Totaly understand the reasons. That tells me a lot. Basically its highly unlikely.....which is what I thought. Looks like Vagabond makes a great product and adding a full size drifter will have a much greater demand then the mid size market. I foresee one to two year waitlist in our future for a Vagabond Drifter. Any chance the deposit policy might change to a production reservation deposit place holder, then a deposit due 90 days from delivery date? Similiar to the other wedge camper companies who have greater then 3 month wait times from order to delivery dates. By the way you fellows really do have the best design and build quality from what I have researched on the web. You apparently also have excellent customer service so I get that you likely do not need to change your policy. I'm just trying to decide to be patient and wait for your production capacity to increase or if policy might change?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  15. Jan 5, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    OR4x4

OR4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:

Huh that’s good to know. If most garages comply to this standard... I may be out of luck with a Drifter + fantastic fan?

16. Jan 5, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Nobody is going to be able to make the decision for you bud. There’s 100s variables in play. Everyone caries different weight, different suspension, stock vs aftermarket bed caps, different tires, different wheels, different air pressure in the tires, even the amount of gas in the gas tank.
    Even then, nobody here is going to be able to tell you the garage height in every parking garage in downtown Portland.

17. Jan 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    That’s completely true. I’ve given up on garages even if they say the clearance is over 7’. I went to an airport once where the drifter should have fit and almost sheared a sprinkler.

I have no fan, but I have a 2” lift with 35’s at 35psi. Maybe about 3” if the rear with the stage 3 deavers.

That being said a stock truck might work, but there are a ton of variables.

18. Jan 5, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    For a long time, I owned a GMC 2500HD. I parked in one of the downtown garages regularly. I even had Yakima racks on the cap. One night, I was coming down the ramp to exit the garage and bam! The rack hooked the height testing pipe and off the rack came.

Difference? New set of tires. Same brand. Same size. Just new.

jberry813[QUOTED] and Jicka21 like this.
  19. Jan 5, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Just a heads up, it rains a good amount in the PNW and motorcycle may not be your best option for most of the year.

If parking in the garage is a big factor, consider airbags like someone mentioned. It's too bad that garage height dictates a lot of your choices. I'd say the hell with a garage and get whatever makes your camping experience legit! :D

Anderson, tyfoon11, tacomgee and 4 others like this.
  20. Jan 5, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    trouttaco

trouttaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Why are you moving to downtown Portland?!?

Products Discussed in

To Top