1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Valve cover gasket replacement 3.4 V6 tips

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TRD 2001 4X4, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Mar 18, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I don't make the rules. The labor time guide is a guide book that has been used as a standard since the 60s. Each year a new book comes out. The time is typically based on the average time it takes to do a job BY THE MANUFACTURER'S procedure. Which means NO cutting corners, but doing it exactly how, in this case Toyota, says to do it. Now sure, a good tech can knock the job out faster. But again, why penalize him? Sure, I can knock out a set of valve covers in half the time. Am I going to cut my own companies throat because of this? No. Why? Because there will also be a time where I could be doing the same valve cover gasket job and things crop up and it may take 6 hours to complete the job due to say, seized bolts, or other problems. Customer is STILL going to be charged the same amount for the job though, even if it did take me 6 hours to do it.

I am curious what you do for a living, and how you and the company you work for get paid, and bill out work. (Assuming you are not in retail, which is pretty much locked in there already)

OK, I read that last paragraph and I sounded like a dick. Sorry. I mean to simply be curious if your job gives you a proper perspective on the service industry or not.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. Mar 18, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    TRD 2001 4X4

TRD 2001 4X4 [OP] Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD XCab
    The point of this thread wasn't intended to debate the one time out of twenty when you run into a problem and it actually takes you four hours to change the valve cover gaskets. I get paid a salary, so the metric of how much I get paid for the work I do isn't measured in a flat rate. Toyota dealerships are a business intended to make money, so arguing whether or not charging four hours for an average of one to two hours of work is justified or realistic is moot, but rather it's an option. For those that don't have $500 to pay for their valve cover gaskets to get replaced, the other option is to do it themselves. The point of the thread was to let them know what they're up against and what problems they might run into. My advice to them would be it takes some basic tools and some time, but isn't that difficult.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    OG_Tacoma likes this.
  3. Mar 18, 2014 at 11:08 PM
    RJ MacReady

RJ MacReady professional trousersnake charmer

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
    US OUTPOST North 31-Mayday Mayday! We've found som
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner 4WD LTD - Cheatin' Bitch Build 2
    Cheatin' bitch build 2: All stock for now... 99' Tacoma 4wd TRD Cheatin' bitch build 1: BG44K additive, motul 5w40(always), deckplate mod, K&N washable air filter, 2.5" flow master(cut thanks to Airdog), king fronts 2.5", all pro standard leaf pk, stainless steel rear ext brakeline, 5125's 10" travel rears, 4-jasper offroad 6" pod LED spot lights, secret compartment for small bottle of wild turkey, cobra CB, Hi-lift jack w/locking bed mount, hi lift curved bumper lift & road base plate, smittybuilt X20 winch, wab fab F&R bumpers w/ hitch receivers, smittybuilt 4in1 recov tool, 10gal mini flamethrower, 11 lbs dynamite sticks, 13 4-hr snowflares, .50Cal full auto mounted machine gun w/ RPG unit & a shitoad of death metal to fuckstart your brain...everything you need for first contact with a shape-shifting alien entity frozen for over 100,000 years reanimated & immitating all life it engulfs.
    great little thread for a common maint repair that the dealer & shops charge an arm & a leg for.

4. Mar 19, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    That is correct, that the point of the thread was that. However when it went into a tangent, I simply followed. I feel for you on salary. I would never work that way. no matter how hard you work, or how long you work, it's the same pay. I prefer to get paid for what I do. But then again, there are some merits to salary. Yes, I do see the point of the thread. Just wanted to get this tangent closed. Tell me this: How is the standard of charging a flat fee, regardless of the time it takes to do the job ANY different than going to a store and paying a fixed price for something? Does it matter if the person who made such a product in the store took an hour to make it or two? You still pay the same price. So really, this is no different than if you went to a "store" and "bought" a valve cover job that has a set price.

5. Mar 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    TRD 2001 4X4

TRD 2001 4X4 [OP] Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD XCab
    Back to the topic, one thing I forgot to mention to the novice. If you take a bolt out and you can put it back in, put it back in finger tight. When you take the plenum bolts out, have a piece of Styrofoam or cardboard and as you take them out, put them in the order you took them out. Have one for the left side and one for the right. When it comes time to put it all back together, you won't have to sift through a pile of bolts and hope you guessed correctly.

6. Mar 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    This is what I use

[​IMG]

7. Mar 19, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Pretty sure op is saying if you have a basic mechanical knowledge and your truck needs valve cover gaskets, you could attempt it yourself instead of paying the dealer $540 to do something you can do on a saturday with some wrenches and patience. Not really sure where the whole flat rate argument came into play haha

8. Mar 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    VERY good idea. I have a positioning system myself that I use, plus I have a pretty good memory system developed over the 25+ years I've done this kind of work. You kinda learn to memorize bolt and nut style and location. But seriously a piece of styrofoam is a great idea!

9. Mar 22, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    Corn

Corn Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    00' Tacoma 4x4 ext. cab 3.4 ltr
    Fog lights, suspension, wheels
    Thanks

10. Jun 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    HansWorldTravels

HansWorldTravels Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    Colorado/NY/Germany
    Vehicle:
    '03 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L Ext Cab TRD
    Roll & Ram repairs on '95 Front end crash repairs on '03
    Stupid question, what's the plenum? Is that the intake manifold? Makes sense if taking off the valve covers. Like the recommendations... as you can see I'm already in the engine compartment, would be crazy not to do while access is so easy! :D

[​IMG]

http://instagram.com/p/owcAdsNl2c/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  11. Mar 8, 2015 at 12:10 AM
    CBHoldin

CBHoldin ispin26

Member:
    First Name:
    Dank
    S.W. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 xtra Cab 3.4 Taco/Supercharged
    bump up--doin this to my Tacoma this weekend.

Also good tip on replacing the CAM seals while replacing these valve cover gaskets

12. Mar 8, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    If you're going to have the dealer charge you to do gasket replacement, you might want to put it off for as long as possible. Then when the leak gets bad enough, it will likely be time to have the valves re-shimmed as well. This way you are hitting two birds with one stone, and the shop isn't charging you much more to do it. If you wait and get the two jobs done on separate occasions, you will likely pay double in labor.

13. Mar 8, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    Did this not too long ago. Co-worker that used to be a mechanic helped me out. He actually did 99% of the work. He never did a Toyota vcg replacement before, but I had written down the steps to do so. Took us about 5 hours to do it. Hasn't leaked at all. Didn't replace the intake plenum gaskets nor did I replace or reseal the half moons. Asked him what I owe him and he just said $100 and he'll be happy. Best $100 I've spent lol

14. Nov 21, 2015 at 3:07 PM
    skidrow

skidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    Vehicle:
    2002 double cab 4x4
    Bilstine adjustable 3" front--add leaf rear--skid row plates +
    Im a little late on this thread but im getting ready to do mine today but just the passenger side the drivers side is perfectly fine so digging into this will i need to still remove the throttle body? ? Just trying to get a heads up before i start i just ordered the valve cover kit from toyota with everything except yhe intake and throttle body gaskets....

15. Nov 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    No, just remove the air intake tube and coil on plugs. I'd advise replacing both that way you wont have to tackle this job again. Get the intake and throttle body gaskets as well.

16. Nov 21, 2015 at 3:19 PM
    skidrow

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    Vehicle:
    2002 double cab 4x4
    Ok you're right do it right the first time otherwise I'll regret it later thanks for your help

17. Nov 21, 2015 at 3:24 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    No problem. Also, reseal the half moons while you're in there. They tend to leak as well over time

18. Nov 21, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    skidrow

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    Vehicle:
    2002 double cab 4x4
    Ok i also just bought some ultra gray synthetic gasket maker for that supposedly it holds up better to synthetic oils because I run the Mobil 1 synthetic oil I was wondering if that's why my truck was leaking oil out of the valve cover

19. Nov 21, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    No, I run it too and its usually either from old age or the bolts getting loose or those half moons. But to properly tighten the bolts, you need to take the whole intake off so you'd might as well replace the gaskets while you're in there. Make sure to cover the intake holes when you take the plenums off otherwise you'll be in some trouble if something goes in there. Also, be careful with the plastic that covers the fuel rail wires. That tends to get brittle and break.

20. Nov 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM
    skidrow

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    Vehicle:
    2002 double cab 4x4
    Ok yeah i was just looking at the fuel rails those do look week.....thank you so much for your help its always nice to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about

Products Discussed in

To Top