1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VBTaco Build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by mrbee2828, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Apr 30, 2023 at 11:26 AM
    mrbee2828

mrbee2828 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    I also used the ends of some ratchet straps to make pull tabs on the longer wings to get in and out of easier. Super easy and a huge improvement.

IMG_3531 Large.jpg

2. May 2, 2023 at 6:48 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    I've had these chrome delete rings on my desk for a year I think. I finally put them on.

IMG_3614 Large.jpg

3. May 2, 2023 at 11:45 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    Today's ridiculously easy and unnecessary mod was installing the AJT cup holder I have had lying around for months. Took almost 4 mins to install.

IMG_3618 Large.jpg

suckingdarts likes this.
  4. May 13, 2023 at 10:53 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    Another small mod this morning. I found a RJ45 insert for a standard button location. I sanded it down to fit the odd USB slot that is now behind the dash up above the radio. This will be a nice change from it dangling down on the floorboard on trails.

IMG_3677 Large.jpg

IMG_3675 Large.jpg

IMG_3678 Large.jpg

5. Jun 7, 2023 at 6:27 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    More camping in GWNF. We had a great weekend and the Union Springs side has become much more challenging with rain and traffic. Going down the mountain Sunday in the rain was exciting. The airbags made a huge difference both on and off road. I'm going to try and adjust the front preload another 1/2" in the coming week. I'm going to start planning some trips out of state. First up will probably be Windrock.

IMG_3846 Large.jpg

img_3801 Large.jpg

6. Jul 27, 2023 at 6:12 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    I finally got around to reworking the breakers on the aux battery and adding solar. I got a friend to bend a new bracket made out of a single piece of aluminum. I tapped and drilled it to fit on the Rago top bracket. It's much cleaner and the new orientation separates the contact points better (old setup). I attached the solar with 4 60# magents that are insanely overkill for this. I have a piece of closed cell foam under it to help it not sag the 1/4" difference under it. Power goes across the rack and down the driver side in a KC Hilites channel. Breakers are primary to BCDC, BCDC to secondary and secondary to bed. Overkill? No... I've tripped 2 of these accidentally now and it's so easy to reset. Super clean overall, love it. I need to wire up my NOCO shore power charger now.

IMG_4022 Large.jpg

IMG_4104 Large.jpg

7. Sep 14, 2023 at 7:35 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    So the original trim piece and a door face were made from leftover 3/4 plywood. Water has crept in around the doors over the summer and dripped down causing it to separate. I redid them last week and finally installed the water gauge for the tank. I also picked up an Adventure Trail Gear GARB bag for the back. This weekend I'm planning on running air to the front and back frame for easier inflation. Right now I have to move or unpack things and take the drawer cover off to get to it.

IMG_4273 Large.jpg

IMG_4274 Large.jpg

IMG_4215 Large.jpg

Road_Warrior likes this.
  8. Sep 14, 2023 at 7:37 AM
    Road_Warrior

Road_Warrior There is nothing on my horizon except everything

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black SR5 4x4
    Wow, that’s a really professionally done looking set up. Good stuff.

9. Sep 15, 2023 at 7:16 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    Hey thanks! I learned a lot and have some plans for a new version. I think the layout will be the same but I'm going to try different materials and eliminate some of the drawerslides. Overall the setup is kinda perfect so far. I've been out on about 3 or 4 weekends with it and love the arrangement.

Road_Warrior[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 15, 2023 at 7:22 AM
    Road_Warrior

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black SR5 4x4
    I’ll be interested to see what you do… It looks so clean!

I would love a drawer system but I think I need the general cargo space more than I would use a drawer setup, since I don’t do much camping but I use the truck for long haul trips.

11. Sep 15, 2023 at 8:15 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    Honestly same, I work from home and live on the east coast so no real epic adventures happening at the moment. It's designed to be removed BUT it is just way to heavy and cumbersome in practice. I think the next rendition will make it a reality. Much lighter and easier to take apart (I hope). It'll probably be a year or so before I get started on it. Right now I'm just going to enjoy this through the fall.

Road_Warrior likes this.
  12. Sep 15, 2023 at 8:34 AM
    Road_Warrior

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black SR5 4x4
    If you’re in Virginia Beach, I’m just a couple hours north of you in MD.

Yeah that’s what I did once I got my truck set up the way I wanted earlier this year, drove around the country and just enjoyed having it set up the way I wanted with all the gear I needed. Now I’m getting back into the mod time of the year.

13. Mar 3, 2024 at 8:20 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    I've been quiet. This last 6 months has been crazy with work and the holidays. I've decided to do my first week-long trip. I'm organizing a trip from VA to KY to explore the Daniel Boon Backcountry Bypass. Looks like we're around 5 people right now so it should be a blast. I have a few things coming up to make this trip better. The first is a wolfbox mirror which I just wrapped up today. Night and day difference. I mounted it inside the cap for protection from the elements and such. I also ordered a Wilwood brake kit with all the weight I have. I should have that on in about 2 weeks. Finally a few new smaller camping items for creature comforts.

IMG_4986.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_4899 Large.jpg
    IMG_4957 Large.jpg

Road_Warrior likes this.
  14. Mar 11, 2024 at 2:03 PM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    Today is the first day I felt like this build has stepped into the big boi category. I've never done a brake upgrade and even though I did hydraulics on my hatchback in the 90s, doing brakes feels like a bigger step somehow. This mod only took about 2hrs a little trimming though. Learning to bleed the brakes this morning was a great skill to have under the belt as well. I'm actually pissed I've never changed my own brakes before.. so easy to swap pads.

I opted for the Wilwoods purely based on the cost of the kit after looking at different BBKs and pad/rotor upgrade combos. I haven't upgraded the master and honestly, I don't feel like I need to. These guys are throwing me through the windshield already and I'm 100% happy with the fit and finish. It's going to make a massive difference on my next trip... almost ready for Kentucky! My last big upgrade will be a regear in the fall (I hope). I'm sure there will be changes and small things but the big ticket punch list is almost knocked out!

IMG_5043 Large.jpg
    IMG_5041 Large.jpg
    IMG_5045 Large.jpg

Road_Warrior likes this.
  15. Mar 18, 2024 at 6:27 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    Did a few more upgrades before my trip to Kentucky. I bought some tear-off bags at overland expo last year and never got them overhead. I also redid the lighting on the passenger gullwing which got torn while trying to wire it originally. I used the scraps to put a strip under the hood. I rushed through the hood strip though and kinda pissed it came out messy but it's whatever. I was originally going to put this on a hood pin switch but decided against it mid install.
    Finally I got a full size spare under the truck. I picked up a steel wheel on sale and got a used ko2 off a local group. This fit under without any bending or cutting, I just dropped it to 20psi and pulled it towards the rear a bit while cranking it up.

IMG_5074 Large.jpg

IMG_5078 Large.jpg

IMG_5080 Large.jpg

IMG_5079 Large.jpg

IMG_5081 Large.jpg

IMG_5069 Large.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    Road_Warrior likes this.
  16. Mar 21, 2024 at 9:56 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    Night pics

IMG_5089 Large.jpg

IMG_5087 Large.jpg

Road_Warrior likes this.
  17. Apr 17, 2024 at 8:14 AM
    mrbee2828

Member:
    First Name:
    BJ
    Virginia Beach
    Well my trip to Kentucky to explore the DBBB was pretty much killed by spring storms. I was able to stay for 2 nights and then we headed east to West Virginia where the weather wasn't much better. I have 100 stories for future campfires though, definitely an adventure. I'm already planning to go back in the fall to try again. Thinking about doing the fall Back The Byway. It's a bit expensive but I can get out there in 1 day by myself and still have people to ride with in the DBBB.

The highlights and lowlights:
    • Callie's Campground in the DBBB is amazing and cheap. 100% recommend if you go to the area. No reservation needed so if you can't find something dispersed or need a shower etc Callie's is the deal.
    • I only did 1 trail, Spass Creek which didn't disappoint. Lots of ruts, waterfalls and water crossings. Pretty much the entire week was a water crossing with the rain we had.
    • We spent 1 night outside Martinsville on the way to break up the drive, 2 nights in KY and 3 nights in WV before heading home.
    • We had to shack up at a motel one night due to tornado warnings and not sleeping for 2 nights straight. It gave us a chance to dry out our drenched gear as well.
    • We spent our time in WV around the New River Gorge area which was beautiful. Also did a few things outside of Charleston. That area is very poor feeling and run down. A very stark contrast the forests we explored.
    • I wasn't able to snag any decent Bourbon in KY or WV. I had my heart set on getting some Weller again.
    • We had a blown tire in the group, a busted window, I took a bit of body damage from a big branch in the rockslider, there was a domestic dispute in the motel and finally we cut and move multiple trees with our gear.
    • The last night was epic and we camped out on a cliff next to the river.
    • I was prepared for rain but the awning I have just collects water. Using a central pole might help (I'll try) but I think I'm going to sell that setup and try something else.
    • My $125 Core instant tent is the MVP of the trip. Very little if any water intrusion after literally 4 days of intense all night rain. 100% would recommend. It's a 4 person but it's so great for just myself. Room for a cot, small table, my gear and space to air out wet gear.
    • In 2nd place for MVP gear is my Kelty road shade. While it wasn't easy to take down in the rain it provided a ton of space for the price.

IMG_5230 Large.jpg

IMG_5364 Large.jpg

IMG_5269 Large.jpg

IMG_5341 Large.jpg

IMG_5335 Large.jpg

IMG_5311 Large.jpg

IMG_5257 Large.jpg

IMG_5255 Large.jpg

To Top