1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Veganism camping/grilling food?

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by slander, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Feb 16, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    slander

slander [OP] Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    Long story short I have gout and cant eat alot of red meat. Life advice to the kiddos, drinking beer all the time and eating like shit catches up to you... Anyway, going camping/wheeling in the spring and need some ideas on what to grill for dinner. I'll eat a small steak one night, maybe, but my usual meal of eating brats and steak for 3days straight while camping is out. I can eat chicken, but what are some other red meat and pork free options to cook up on a smoky joe style charcoal grill at camp?

wilcam47 likes this.
  2. Feb 16, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    TacoRated

TacoRated Do the chickens have large talons?

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR
    High speed, special purpose duct-tape noise cancellation LCAs. Redline Tuning hood struts Hefty Fabworks Rock Sliders Trifold Bed Cover TRD Pro Grille
    I’m always a fan of zucchini, onion, and grilled corn with Italian seasoning and Parmesan. You can even throw in some asparagus for good measure. Also goes well with chicken.

TacomaUSA and slander[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 16, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    Reddy

Reddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC
    OME 885's/Dakars/265's/belly skid
    My partner is veg and I do the cooking, so I end up being a part time vegetarian. A couple good camping meals I've done;

1.) Quesadillas: Buy a can Amy's organic chili. It's decent and vegan. Grill some tortillas (or use an iron skillet like I do) on once side. Put the chili on the cooked side, fold it over and cook your quesadilla on each side. I put cheese in mine, but could be optional. Add guac, sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, whatever you've got. Fast, tasty, doesn't dirty too many dishes.

2.) Thai-ish coconut soup: Also, use a can of Amy's organic soup. I forgot which one exactly, but it's the only coconut curry type thing I've seen at the store. I doctor it up with a little peanut sauce (or just peanut butter and hot sauce if that's what you've got handy) and pour it over some rice. Filling and different from the usual camp food.

3.) Bean and rice burritos: There are a couple different brands of dried beans and rice I've bought from the store but they're always in bags and in the ethnic food section. The one I like best was from TX if I remember right (obviously I might not). Just cook it up and grill up some tortillas, I like corn tortillas for this. Add what ever toppings you like or it can be its own meal in a pinch.

I realize none of those are grilling per se, but work well on a camp stove. For grilling specifically, there are some decent black bean burgers out there, and I've been known to make a grilled portobello sandwich (big mushroom cap, with pesto, some soft cheese, maybe sprinkled with walnuts, spinach, on some good bread. Pretty tasty).

TacomaUSA and slander[OP] like this.
  4. Feb 16, 2020 at 4:45 PM
    JKO1998

JKO1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 4.0 V6 4X4 Cement 18 3.5 V6 4x4
    We love fried cabbage, fish is meh, potatoes are always good, we do pizza in a Dutch oven, fancy tacos with potatoes, shrimp, and other things.

wilcam47 likes this.
  5. Feb 16, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Kanyon71

Kanyon71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MI
    You could try the Impossible burgers or the Beyond burgers.

6. Feb 16, 2020 at 4:54 PM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking that, I gotta see what's in them.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming. I love cooking but generally kept to the KISS policy while camping. Now that has changed, and not being able to drink gives me some extra time LOL. I may make some bean, onion and cheese burritos at home and wrap them in foil and toss them on the grill or in the camp fire as well.

7. Feb 16, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    Zatarans red beans and rice or jumbalaya with whatever you want in it is easy and scales well.

Also, pastas and bag soups.
    Don't overlook canned chicken either, it's pretty good in a soup or something noodly.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    wilcam47 and slander[OP] like this.
  8. Feb 16, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    wilcam47, TacoRated and slander[OP] like this.
  9. Feb 16, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    Kanyon71

Kanyon71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MI
    When we go camping I make a batch of egg and cheese burritos wrap them each in foil and then toss them on the grill or next to the fire and heat them back up.

10. Feb 22, 2020 at 3:53 PM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    I made some shredded buffalo chicken in the crock pot this week and I think I may make a batch for my camping trip. Its 4 chicken breasts, half bottle of Frank's buffalo sauce and a pack of ranch dressing mix, toss it in a crockpot for 8hrs. You can eat it on a hoagie roll or a wrap. It tastes awesome cold as well. I may eat this for lunch out on the trail and bean burrito it for dinner.

wilcam47 and TacoRated like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top