1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vegans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by StandingCow, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Apr 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    MMM....4 cheese burgers.

BTW I'm not paleo...I try to be good about it- but I don't want to/can't make my lifestyle work that way.

2. Apr 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i imagine it would be a massive pain in the ass. i know there are different levels of dedication, but i dont see how some people do it. i went to highschool with a hardcore vegan. he wouldn't eat processed sugar because they use cow bones to bleach it (i never confirmed that they actually do that, he just told me that). so no candy, EVER! no meat or eggs, or milk or fish or anything that is processed with any form of matter that use to be an animal. yet somehow, the dude was huge. like 6'3" and 280lbs plus. nicest guy ever. i just cant imagine denying myself food i want, all day every day.

3. Apr 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I can totally deny myself food that I want...Like I can see Taco Bell from my hotel room-but I can also see snow and would have to walk...No bueno.

4. Apr 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    2010nctaco

2010nctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport 4x4
    Very interesting topic. I'm not a vegan and probably never will be, but there are some good points posted on either side of the argument. I would be interested in more local food production from small farms ect. That would have more ethical treatment of animals for meat production.
    As far as hunting goes, I used to be an avid hunter and the freshness and leanness of the meat was great, but I always felt bad about it after a cull. I joke that I could kill a human easier than killing a deer that did nothing wrong. I do feel that hunting with a rifle is kind of unfair and feel and would like to see bow and arrow only. but that is another topic. I usually donated the a good portion of the meat to a family member because it was just too much food for me. I dont have a problem with hunting though and have seen a lot of deer hit by cars where I live and had to put a few down after being hit by a vehicle. The main reason we have any issues around here with deer accidents is urban sprawl(vegans and northerners moving down here,lol).

5. Apr 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah but i'm talking about never drinking soda cause of the sugar. never eating candy. CHEESE! the greatest thing in the world is off limits, even though no animal died producing it. i couldn't deal with that.

6. Apr 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i can actually relate to what your saying about killing. I never enjoyed that part of hunting. i never lost sleep over it but it was my least favorite part. my family hunts so i still get the meat, so no biggie. but in my mind, animals, while inferior, are innocent. there is nothing immoral about an animal, but people are vile and selfish and petty. i couldn't kill an innocent person, but i think it would be easier for me to pull hte switch on a convicted rapist/murderer than kill most animals (there is one dog currently alive i would make an exception for....)

7. Apr 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    This is false. The longest lived people on the earth are the Scandinavians and Icelanders (not vegetarians).
    Here are some other abstracts:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

The only study I've seen that supports the conclusion of vegans living 7 years longer was one done by a Seventh Day Adventist college (which conclusion also happens to support their beliefs).

8. Apr 15, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I cut meat for a living. [​IMG]

I sent this to my Vegan Girl friend

Hold on my Bacon is almost done cooking

9. Apr 15, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    It is not possible to be a vegan. The vast majority of things you touch, use, wear, and eat are all rendered from animals.
    http://www.cyberparent.com/eat/hiddenanimalsinfood.htm

Mmmmmmm... Bacon. They would have to kill me to give it up. It is my kryptonite. You can have your veggies, I'm not going to hold it against you. Just leave my bacon alone!

Gelatin=Made from bones
    Soap=Made from animal fat
    Lanolin=Made from sheep's oil glands and wool

10. Apr 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    I've personally never heard of food that decreases their fertility but I'm sure it can't be healthy for them at all. Also, where I hunt, there would be no possible way to neuter/spay, anywhere close to enough, deer to control the population, they are not an easy animal to just catch in a cage or something. And I hunt on leased land, there are hunting clubs surrounding our 3000 acres and there are no fences. We have game wardens come in every year and tell us that we have to kill "x" amount of deer every year, to keep the population down. So in other words, they are already a problem, just think of how it would be if hunting was banned. There was a law made this year in Louisiana that allows feral hogs to be hunted night and day throughout the summer because they are now considered a nuisance animal. They have become a sever problem and they are very dangerous.

I agree. I'm not going to say that I strictly hunt for fun, but I do enjoy it. We usually kill 3 or 4 deer every year. I keep some of the meat and give the rest away. I always have people asking me for deer meat. Most hunters don't hunt to "save the environment", they hunt for food, just like they have been doing since the beginning of time.

I agree. Hunting in Africa is pretty much strictly sport, but the animals that are legal to hunt over there are far from going extinct. The animals that are going extinct are protected by laws that either limit killing or ban it completely. That's not saying that it doesn't happen but they do everything they can to keep it from happening. As far as hunters getting fewer and fewer, I disagree because the hunting scene has never been bigger, especially around where I live and also where I hunt, which are in two different states.

I agree with all of this.

11. Apr 16, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  12. Apr 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
  13. Apr 16, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    White Yodie

White Yodie Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Old skewled
    What the &*$%'s don't know is the word Vegan comes from an old Indian word that means 'a bad hunter.'
    MEAT, it's what's for dinner.

14. Apr 16, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    new sig :thumbsup:

15. Apr 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    He asked a fish, duh!

16. Apr 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
  17. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
  18. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4
    Human health is a factor of literally countless potential variables. To assume a direct correlation let alone causality of a vegan lifestyle resulting in longer life is both misguided and patently false.

It's funny that you limit your diet of different foods and then say you have more culinary options. I wasn't a math major but if you have more potential ingredients then you would assume you could generate more dishes.

I do not doubt a man eating nothing but red meat and potatoes stands to have more potential health problems than an individual eating a balanced diet. But you are doing your cause no good throwing out weak arguments full of propaganda, over generalizations and sensational descriptions.

19. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

So how about the folks who got sick in '96 from strawberries, the folks in '06 who got E Coli from spinach. If not properly prepared- ANY food can be bad for you.

And I call BS on "every food has been veganized and tastes better" I've eaten vegan dishes/drinks and tried "replacement" foods-They were not as good (which is an opinion- You can't pass that off for fact.)
    And even when I didn't know I was being given a non-meat burger- I asked within 2 bites "What the hell did you do to this burger?"

Funny thing is- You are spouting all the same half baked opinions that many vegans use....Overstating and dramatizing doesn't make you right...It makes you sound like a crackpot. And posting videos doesn't do much either- cause ANYONE can do that...

20. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    :amen:

To Top