1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vegans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by StandingCow, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    You're the one who can't handle anyone elses opinion. And everyone knows a balanced diet is the way to go.

2. Apr 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4
    Not digested... The components are more effectively incorporated between similar tissues. Human tissue is more similar to that of a cow than to that of a brussle sprout. No biologist needed to see that...

I agreed it is completely possible for a person living a vegan lifestyle to compete at an elite level in athletics. Again I would argue that people who are professional athletes are not eating balanced diets to be part of the status quo but are doing so because it allows their bodies to perform at the greatest possible level.

If the vegan lifestyle provided the healthiest body's and the greatest physical abilities than it would be championed by every athlete and veganism would be the new status quo in our society.

3. Apr 16, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    Debadged,Deck Plate mod, Helix throttle body spacer, magnaflow two chamber, smoked corner marker lamps, cb radio, smoked headlights, grillcraft mesh grill, URD short throw shifter, ultagauge, billstein 5100 front struts, spidertrax 1.25 spacers on all four
    P.E.T.A. People Eating Tasty Animals :hungry: :p

4. Apr 16, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I find it truly shocking how people go on the attack when confronted with an opinion with which they do not agree.

Whew, I got through that sentence without a typo. Wouldn't want anyone to give me crap about mis-typing. :rolleyes:

5. Apr 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You beat me to it . Some people in this thread seem pretty insecure .

Just sayin

6. Apr 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
  7. Apr 16, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  8. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    Toby

Toby Servant of Ninkasi

Member:
    Prairieville, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 Black TRD Off Road 4x4
    None yet.
    I'd say to hit Mother's.

9. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    When I get home I probably will. I love those raspberry preserves.

Side note- In honor of this thread- I tried something new. I got Caribbean Jerk wings tonight....

10. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    AC13JohnG

AC13JohnG Señor Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 5 lug
    Some people come here with a strong argument either way but who gives a shit? Anybody can come up with supporting information for their viewpoint. Just because we have the freedom of speech doesn't mean you have the right to force your opinion on others. Sometimes you just need to come to the realization that your opinion doesn't matter or make a god damn bit of difference on how others are going to live their life. This goes for all things, this argument, sexuality, environmentalism, religion, marriage, etc. I'm glad you have a stance on something, but realize most others do also and it's probably different from yours. Its not my place or anybody elses to say your wrong, while you make some valid points they will not change my mind or anybody elses on how we are going to eat.
    Cruelty to animals is a horrible thing and should carry a much steeper punishment than it already has in my opinion. As a true animal lover I could not agree any more strongly with you about how absolutely horrible it is. There is no denying that many of the animals that we eat are highly intelligent. I sure as hell would never eat one of my pets, even though there are other cultures that do. I choose not to develop a relationship with my food, it's just better that way.
    Who's to say those vegetables that you eat aren't capable of feelings or intelligence? In the past we thought the earth was flat, the center of the universe, we were the only planet with life on it. Maybe in a few millennia we will have a completely different factually supported viewpoint on the capacity of vegetables. Maybe then harvesting and eating them will be looked at as cruel. As totally ridiculous as that sounds maybe there just isn't enough science yet to prove it.
    Maybe we should look down on you from a pretentious mountain top for ruthlessly slaughtering vegetables. How dare you just cut a living thing off at it's root, or tear it carelessly from it's life giving soil. Next time you slice a tomato just think how it could scream if it only had the capacity to do so. What about all of the dead animals over the history of this planet that are in the soil that your vegetables grow in? That carrot could be 20% dinosaur in all actuality. How many vegetables do you eat raw? What if they can feel it? At least I have the decency to buy my meat dead and cook it.

11. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    btuner

btuner <<<<>>>>

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stage III TRD Badge
  12. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I pointed out three seperate studies that indicate otherwise. Vegans are no healthier than anyone who eats a balanced diet, exercises and doesn't smoke. The 7 year figure is from a study done by a Seventh Day Adventist college (who also happen to ascribe to the same vegan diet as a matter of religious devotion).

13. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    More nonsense:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/dietandnutrition/feature/vitamins.htm
    "Dietitians, nutritionists and other experts are all agreed that apart from small groups of people in special medical circumstances, most of us don't need to take vitamins or food supplements. We can get what we need from a balanced diet."

14. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    You know Hitler was a vegan/vegetarian.. Food for thought...

15. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    So was Ghandi.

16. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    Touche.

17. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Vegan is not my style, because everything they 'aren't allowed to eat' totally infringes on my 'need to have' list.

If you are genuinely happy and enjoy being Vegan, good for you.

18. Apr 16, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    Nope. No meat, no drinking, no smoking. Churchill along with Stalin and Roosevelt all smoked, ate steak, and were fond of the sauce. None were or will ever be associated with the loosing side. So eat all the grass you want. Its your life.

19. Apr 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    I will never become/try being a vegan/vegetarian simply because of the elitist attitude that many exhibit. Humans have been eating meat for thousands of years, and we've also been eating plants for thousands of years. The people saying that we can be perfectly healthy and live longer are probably vegans, and those studies are probably biased. Vegans are usually active and healthy people, which would throw off that "7 years longer" factoid. Not trying to force anything on anyone, JMO :)

20. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:48 AM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    Let's get bike all bent out of shape on electric cars, and how there gonna save the earth, now that everyone has cleared up the debate on vegans...

To Top